WANTED: Great Retirement Location

check out Butler County, PA

check out Butler County, PA, just north of Pittsburgh. Specifically, Cranberry Township or Mars, PA. For 350k, you can buy a mansion.
Property taxes a bit lower than neighboring Allegheny County (Pittsburgh),
but only 30 minute drive on the interstate into the city.
And, remember, Pittsburgh is the nation's Most Livable City this year !

I have personal knowledge of 4 of these:

Minneapolis: Considered one of the very best places to live in in America, because of so much culture. Close to Mayo Clinic in Rochester. I considered here (cousin lives there for years), but the cold...damn! it is just too cold...and this coming from someone who was from Chicago. I mean you can be TOO cold. If you can tolerate maybe 4 months of freeeeezing, then this could be your city. It has everything anyone could want, and ends up at the top of all the best places to live in America lists all the time.

Burlington, Vermont: Close-close friend and ex-employee moved there. He is gay. Moved out because it was TOO gay for him even. He wasn't all that impressed with the area at all. Very, very, very liberal thinking. My friend swore when he lived in Manchester (hour away) that nobody in Vermont had any money. He also swears everyone there wears flannel shirt and jeans. Guess he wasn't into the fashions popular there.

Portland, Maine: Many retirees there. My gay friend moved there, too, and did love the seafood/lobster all over Portland at cheap prices. Thought the arts were pretty active there. Liked the area alot. Check out those taxes tho on retirementliving.com and see if you can live with Maine's taxes. It is a beautiful area, tho. Oh, and the area is a wonderful diversity of people (compared to Burlington). My gay friend does prefer diversity and not an all gay world...sorta like I don't want to move to Florida if I am going to be stuck with all old people around me.

Iowa City, Iowa: Know this area because I am living near there now. Cold in winter, yes...but not like Minneapolis or Chicago. Less windy. It is a DRY cold unlike cold, say, in Houston which is a wet cold. For instance, at 32 degrees in Houston, because of the humidity the cold goes right down into your bones. Lots of congestion in your chest there. At 32 degrees in Iowa City or even Chicago, you are running around in a light jacket or sweater and thinking the weather is Fall crisp and wonderful. Big, big difference. Again, get on retirementliving.com and check Iowa's taxes. Depending on where your money is coming from, Iowa can or cannot take a chunk every year. But Iowa City is a hip, cultural, happening place--and, most of all, SAFE. I live about 1-1/2 away from there now, and this area of America--having been the manufacturing/farm area AND manufacturing has gone to Asia and Mexico now--makes this area a VERY cheap/inexpensive one to live in. Costs here are so low that Chicagoans come here to gamble on the boats and party. Drinks that would cost me $7 in Chicago are $2.50 here. My gym membership to a top gym here is $260 a year with a great pool! The Midwest is cheap to live in. You could also consider how close you will be living to the owner of Berkshire Hathaway, too, in Omaha, I guess. Bottom line: check out pricing in Iowa City on Sperling's Best Places (sperling's.com or sperlings.com) and click on the city compare to compare any city with another you are thinking of moving to if price is an issue (it should be).

You might want to use epodunk.com, too, to check out your cities. Lot and lots of useful info there from how many libraries to the nationalities of a certain cities population (i.e., how many Polish, Argentinians, Asians) to how many gays to how many hospitals...well, you get the idea.

Last edited:
Burlington, Vermont: Close-close friend and ex-employee moved there. He is gay. Moved out because it was TOO gay for him even. He wasn't all that impressed with the area at all. Very, very, very liberal thinking. My friend swore when he lived in Manchester (hour away) that nobody in Vermont had any money. He also swears everyone there wears flannel shirt and jeans. Guess he wasn't into the fashions popular there

ok, i could go a few ways with this.

way one: burlington was too gay for your gay friend but he had a problem with the fashion in manchester?

way two: a rampage on how a gay person could consider an area too gay. like saying: i like israel but there are so many jewish people there.

way three: some off comment on living vicariously through a gay man.

way four: asking if your friend is single, vgl & debt-free but it doesn't sound like he's ready to settle down.

way five: that's because all the gays live in burlington but the lesbians live in manchester.

I KNEW you would respond to this, lazygood4nuthinbum. I am simply repeating what my gay guy pal told me.
No disrespect intended, but you seem waaaaaaaaaaaaay too overly sensitive about being gay. Please ask yourself "why"?
And do you not have any "straight" female friends? And, if you do, do they have to watch every little thing they say to you? Personally, that would drain my straight a*s.

"way one: burlington was too gay for your gay friend but he had a problem with the fashion in manchester? way five: that's because all the gays live in burlington but the lesbians live in manchester."

You funny.

I KNEW you would respond to this, lazygood4nuthinbum.... that would drain my straight a*s.

which only goes to show what great pleasure you take out of being conniving, manipulative and disgusting. congrats on your great success in life.

ps. calmloki, i just knew someone else would pick up on that flannel. good to see my humor is not entirely wasted. though with all of whatever respect might be due the op (of this mini-threadjack), the "there" reference might have pointed to vermont and not to manchester (the syntax is not clear) and so then the joke might not be well taken.

Last edited:
Here is a test that will result in suggestions as to the best places that fit your requirements: Best Places to Live: Compare the Best Cities & Small Towns for You!

OK this is too funny.

As my login name suggests, I live in Northern Va. I've been a lifelong DC metro resident, and even though I've often dreamed of moving out to Norcal, I've never left this area. I guess what kept me here is family.

And now that I'm in my mid forties, I've been blessed with a great life here in Mclean. I have a successful dental practice in my house (so no commute). My kids go to school in one of the top school systems in the country. I'm close to all the best shops, restaurants, museums, etc. that you can find anywhere. I go to a great church....It seems I have it all... except I can't stand the weather!

I don't do well in humidity or heat, prferring the climate of Norcal. The summers here literally zap the energy right out of me. Fall and spring are ok but too short here. Winter here is already bad enough for me. So I always dream of going to Norcal. I even got my Cal dental license, but feel at 43 it might be a bad move to start over after working so hard to build my successful practice.

Anyways, I took the quiz that Tiger posted in the link. And where is my best place to live according to Top Spots? Norfolk Va! and Cheasapeake/Va beach came in 5th!....So I guess I'm meant to be in Virginia even though I hate humidity. Just had to share this.

Here is a test that will result in suggestions as to the best places that fit your requirements: Best Places to Live: Compare the Best Cities & Small Towns for You!

Natchitoches, Louisiana!

However - if I was sentenced to my old stomping grounds in the Pac NW where I was born and raised until the tender age of 26 - Portland Oregon would be my first choice over say Seattle. More memories, wilder women, lower cost of living.

Of course - in my old age there is Astoria, Rainer, Kalama, Battleground, Hoquim, Winlock, etc. Actually know/knew people who lived in those places. None in Portland at this time.

heh heh heh - :D

Novaman,

We lived in Maryland for 5 years before returning to N CA. Maryland was great in many respects. Great town, great neighborhood, great place to raise kids. But I hated the weather. Winter was just cold enough that it inhibited many outdoor activities and I despised the humidity in the summers.

MB

Novaman,

We lived in Maryland for 5 years before returning to N CA. Maryland was great in many respects. Great town, great neighborhood, great place to raise kids. But I hated the weather. Winter was just cold enough that it inhibited many outdoor activities and I despised the humidity in the summers.

MB

MB- You know what I mean then by the weather....So where in MD did you live? And where in NorCal do you now live? I have relatives/friends in Saratoga, San Ramon, San Jose, and Danville. What spot do you recommend for a conservative east coaster to raise a family?

Last edited:
Natchitoches, Louisiana!

However - if I was sentenced to my old stomping grounds in the Pac NW where I was born and raised until the tender age of 26 - Portland Oregon would be my first choice over say Seattle. More memories, wilder women, lower cost of living.

Of course - in my old age there is Astoria, Rainer, Kalama, Battleground, Hoquim, Winlock, etc. Actually know/knew people who lived in those places. None in Portland at this time.

heh heh heh - :D

If all goes as planned there will be one more wild woman (& husband) in Portland next year.

I do not recommend living in Clark County WA if you intend to go into Portland. The I-5 bridge is a nightmare.

MB- You know what I mean then by the weather....So where in MD did you live? And where in NorCal do you now live? I have relatives/friends in Saratoga, San Ramon, San Jose, and Danville. What spot do you recommend for a conservative east coaster to raise a family?

Oh yeh, I remember going outside to get the mail and coming back in and taking a shower.

Post-Maryland I have lived in San Jose. Pre-Maryland (& pre-kids) I lived in the East Bay (Berkeley) and Marin county.

Umm, conservative Bay Area location to raise a family. You have already mentioned some of the them. If you can control where you want to live and don't have to commmute then I would look at the Pleasanton, San Ramon, Danville & Walnut Creek areas in the East Bay. In the South Bay I would look at some specific areas in San Jose (e.g. Almaden). Saratoga and the other towns on the east side of the Santa Cruz mountains are great (Los Gatos, Los Altos, etc.) if you can afford them. Prices go down as you go south toward Gilroy and Hollister.

The real estate section of the SJ Mercury News lists the average sale price in Saratoga as $1.58M compared to $793 for Santa Clara country and $640k for Alameda county.

The real estate slump does not seem to have had much affect on Bay Area prices yet. Prices are up 5% from last year in Santa Clara county although I understand that a lot of that is because higher end houses have continued to sell well whereas sales of lower end houses has declined.

MB

Brat said:
I do not recommend living in Clark County WA if you intend to go into Portland. The I-5 bridge is a nightmare.

Only at rush hour. Remember, you are retired!

The lack of income tax in WA is still an attractive point.

SO! You are thinking of leaving The Island? How about them ferry lines? Bridges don't go on strike.

Brat said:

SO! You are thinking of leaving The Island? How about them ferry lines? Bridges don't go on strike.

Hmmm - 60's, 70's, 80's, 90's or even last years high school reunion(outside of Portland) or my sister's(south of Seattle) I- 5 always seemed to have a traffic jam with my name on it.

The Pac NW seems too crowded.

heh heh heh - of course I don't 'do' Kansas City during the rush hour.

Last edited:
Brat said:

quote]
Amen, and there are plenty of great locations in WA without the flippen traffic. We escaped the Seattle metro last year and went to Eastern WA (Pullman). Spend as much time going 75 miles (Spokane) as we use to take to do 25 miles So Seattle to Tacoma with a lot less stress and better views.
The relo also cut our monthly housing and related costs by at least a quarter.
nwsteve

Brat said:

The traffic jams in the I-5 interstate bridge going north start at 2:30 pm and last until about 7:30 pm. Because it is usually early afternoon when we arrive I haven't paid much attention to the south-bound jams.

Oh, we have a bridge and use it all the time when needing to go south. Unless there is a drop-dead absolute need for car in Seattle I walk on the ferry. I have never had to wait as a walk-on. Our buses co-ordinate with the ferry schedule and once in Seattle the core area bus service is free. The public transit cost for seniors is very reasonable.

My desire to move is to be closer to family, not for life style (which is hard to beat). We have a stunning view (what you see is what I see off my study), the library is wonderful, and I am active in the community.

I have run the tax consequences through T-tax and find that for us Oregon income tax is minimal.

Surprised no one mentioned Vancouver, WA. I was considering, seems like you would get the double whammy of no income tax and no sale tax since its almost part of Portland. Also you are still pretty close to Seattle and the real estate is a lot cheaper than here in Bellevue. We could get a house (new construction) for much less than the equity we have in our house.

I have been trying to talk my husband into this one.

Try before you buy, aka rent first.

One of the reasons why real estate is cheaper in Vancouver is that the commute to Portland is as bad as Seattle Metro and those who work in Portland must still pay Oregon income tax. Vancouver didn't choose to link to Portland's Max so there is no alternate mode of transportation. Of course, if you plan to go to Portland rarely that is not an issue.

Vancouver is now having to put in place urban services: sewer, water, roads. All this costs $.

Don't overlook the total cost of living.

One of the reasons why real estate is cheaper in Vancouver is that the commute to Portland is as bad as Seattle Metro and those who work in Portland must still pay Oregon income tax. Vancouver didn't choose to link to Portland's Max so there is no alternate mode of transportation. Of course, if you plan to go to Portland rarely that is not an issue.

The I-205 bike path is not crowded, even at rush hour.

Someone mentioned taking the Sperling's Best Places test. I have taken it probably 10 times by now, and, for my wants and wishes, Little Rock, Arkansas, always comes up as my #1 place. I was born 1/2 hr. from there. I know the area, and, apologies if this offends anyone, wouldn't move there for all the tea in China. So much for the Best Places test for me.

Should be fun is December and January! Not to mention about 8 other months of the year.

Ha

If you're retired I see no reason why you can't get away with driving your car on the bike path when it's not crowded. After all, you can blame it on age! (even if you FIRE young; just get a forged AARP card in that case)

Back
Top Bottom