What did you do today? 2017 version

Status
Not open for further replies.
This weekend I am bingeing on Pink Floyd prior to the Brit Floyd concert next week.

Yesterday we saw some bad behavior in the quail pen, so DD1 and I moved all the roosters but one into a separate pen ("quail jail") until I rehome them to another fancier or the freezer (likely the latter). Around 5PM we saw the first chick hatch in the incubator, a full day early. There were 5 out by bedtime, and 20 when we got up this morning and they continue popping out.

Grey, rainy day today so I will cook some beans and nixtamalize corn in between watching chicks hatch.

Today my husband and I cleaned and trimmed the backyard. I planted some basil and tomato seeds. These are old seeds so I hope they will sprout. But I also transplanted a few super sweet cherry tomato seedlings in the garden. I just hope one will survive. But these are very young seedlings so who knows. Checking my tomato patch, I have Better Boy and Early Girl tomatoes. They are so cute.

Woke up after coming home yesterday from 13 days in the Caribbean, and realized that after retiring, coming back from vacation is no longer dreaded like it used to be. 10 days before I leave on my next trip!!

This could be a profitable add-on service for dental offices. You can get a mani, pedi, or foot massage while they clean your teeth.

Heh, at least until the FDA has to investigate why there are so many infections of foot fungus in the mouths of people who have recently had a lot of dental work.

Today my husband and I cleaned and trimmed the backyard. I planted some basil and tomato seeds. These are old seeds so I hope they will sprout. But I also transplanted a few super sweet cherry tomato seedlings in the garden. I just hope one will survive. But these are very young seedlings so who knows. Checking my tomato patch, I have Better Boy and Early Girl tomatoes. They are so cute.

I started some tomato seeds in my south facing office window about a week and a half ago. They were old seeds, so they may not work, but I'm hopeful. They are Ramapos. We'll get some Sungold plants in late May to put in the garden, along with any Ramapo seedlings I manage to grow.

I would prefer something more benign like a haircut. I dislike getting a haircut just about as much as going to a dentist, so might as well get both at the same time.

And I still have lots of hair, thick and dark that my friends have accused me of dyeing it. Wish I could sell some of it to make some money.

PS. In the Orient, hairdressers often throw in some freebies like a shoulder massage, even earwax removal. I know it is true, because I saw Anthony Bourdain getting the treatments on a youtube video.

Last edited:
Mounted all the heavy transformers to the chassis;

33283351260_8bf6474e4e_z.jpg

I would prefer something more benign like a haircut. I dislike getting a haircut just about as much as going to a dentist, so might as well get both at the same time.

And I still have lots of hair, thick and dark that my friends have accused me of dyeing it. Wish I could sell some of it to make some money.

PS. In the Orient, hairdressers often throw in some freebies like a shoulder massage, even earwax removal. I know it is true, because I saw Anthony Bourdain getting the treatments on a youtube video.

So don't get a haircut! Works for me. :)

My husband still has lots of hair, no gray even, at least the gray hair blend in real well. But he gets a military hair cut ever so often. It's cheaper and he doesn't have to cut often and it makes him look much younger, eventhough he is already youthful looking. So triple wins.
However, I have gray hair, if I die my hair, I take off 10 years off my face. So I will have to go through this process every 3-4 months. I admit, not favorite activity. The hair person takes forever to do my hair, she is so careful, when I don't care. I don't really want to spend 2-3 hours there. The place has no wifi.

I used to have longer hair. Even in the 80s, my hair was like John Denver's.

Now, long hair drives me crazy! I still hold out until I cannot stand it anymore, and that's about 2 months between each hair cut. I get my hair cut reasonably short, but not a crew cut.

I threatened to have my head shaved, and my wife challenged me to do it. She knew I would not, because I would not look anything as cool as Yul Brynner.

PS. Just saw on the Web a photo of Brynner with some hair. Never saw him with hair before.

MV5BNDQ2ODQ2MjQ5NV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwODk4MjM2._V1_UY317_CR19,0,214,317_AL_.jpg
3815_acteurs_image.jpg

Last edited:
Enjoying a glass of Merlot. Stopped for a bottle of Fireball whisky just to have around when folks come over and this Merlot jumped out at me. I had more than my share of Merlot after DW's passing, but the last several years I haven't had much wine at all. I must say she has been on my mind lately. :) Anyway, its not a bad way to spend a winter afternoon after church and grocery shopping earlier in the day. Hope your day is going well too.

The "snap peas" I planted turned out to be flowering peas! When they first came up, I thought the stems and leaves looked to be fuzzy, hence of the wrong type, but my wife said they looked OK.

Serves me right for not labeling the seeds that I saved. Too late in the season to plant edible peas, so might as well enjoy the flowers from the 3 pots that I planted.

Oh well, there's always next year.

Yesterday- put a second coat of shellac on a shelf unit to hold the components our TV- finally feeling well enough to have some shop time. I'm 4 weeks past the end of my chemo/radiation treatments so most of the bad stuff out of my body finally! CT scan on Thursday to see if it all worked as planned and if so, set for surgery to remove the tumor on my esophagus a week from tomorrow- will reconfigure the stomach to fill in the gap so will be some major changes in eating habits if it works as planned but will at least be around to eat!

I'm 4 weeks past the end of my chemo/radiation treatments so most of the bad stuff out of my body finally! CT scan on Thursday to see if it all worked as planned and if so, set for surgery to remove the tumor on my esophagus a week from tomorrow- will reconfigure the stomach to fill in the gap so will be some major changes in eating habits if it works as planned but will at least be around to eat!

Good luck...hope all goes well and that your recovery is swift!

getting raised beds ready for planting, still have risk of nighttime frost for another few weeks, so planting of seedlings planned for early May. Which is fine as I have several short trips planned in the next 6 weeks! Hope to have success with a small veggie garden this year, last year was a bust for some reason.

Good luck...hope all goes well and that your recovery is swift!
+2

As for me, today I went to the dentist. A week and a half ago he had my oral surgeon pull a lower molar out that had been bothering me, and install an implant. It is no longer bothering me and is healing nicely from the surgery.

The two of them decided that the same molar on the other side needs the same treatment, so I'll be getting that done on the day after tomorrow. I have been going to my dentist for 20 years so I trust his judgment. It's just really crummy luck that they both got to that point at the exact same time.

On the bright side, that means another "ice cream day" in store for me the day after the tooth is pulled. I plan to get a pint of Blue Bell Cherry Vanilla, which is heavenly.

CT scan on Thursday to see if it all worked as planned and if so, set for surgery to remove the tumor on my esophagus a week from tomorrow- will reconfigure the stomach to fill in the gap so will be some major changes in eating habits if it works as planned but will at least be around to eat!

I hope this goes well for you, cancer is scary stuff.

DW and I went to Outback for lunch, and I was reflecting on how my appetite has changed. I didn't eat any breakfast (slept in late) and at Outback I had a 9 oz. steak, medium sized baked potato, and salad, and I'm done eating for the day. Thirty-five years ago that was a snack.

I too hope the recovery goes well for davemartin.

Today my husband is also at the dentist for redoing one crown but they called me to ask if he should do the second tooth behind this one, especially it was approved from the dental insurance. So that's where he is now.

This morning my husband and I walked to my sister's house, we removed a few weeds. She came last night to let us know it's been growing. We promised to take care of her yard while we can. I'm pleased that her yard is doing very well, all citrus plants are doing better than ours. I helped draft the landscaping for her yard and hired the contractor to do the yard. So of course it was my proud moment that it turned out so well. Low maintenance to boot. When my husband comes back from the dentist, we are going over to replant her roses and repot one of her fruit trees. I've got lots of free compost from my garden so it will be good for the plant.

......On the bright side, that means another "ice cream day" in store for me the day after the tooth is pulled. I plan to get a pint of Blue Bell Cherry Vanilla, which is heavenly.

You have to stop with the Blue Bell Cherry Vanilla--you are killing me with this :LOL:! My fave too!

I hope your mouth feels better soon.

Reactions: W2R
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom