What did you do today? 2019 version.

Status
Not open for further replies.
The first BLT of the season is the greatest thing ever! Sadly, we won't get to that point until late July or early August.

+1 We enjoyed ours last Saturday (with farmers' market tomatoes as mine still aren't setting fruit). Also made my first tomato pie of the year this week

IMG_0736.jpg

Today dropped the dog off at the groomer on the way to the gym. I joined about two months ago (first time ever gym member) and am enjoying it a lot.

Next is more work on the documents for the volunteer gig - this will be going on until late August (at least). Then plan to enjoy the first of the Women's World Cup games!

I am on day four of "The Door Project". We live in a historic house (c. 1857) and we do not have central air. We use a window A/C unit in the bedroom so we can sleep in August. It occurred to us a few years back that we could also put a window unit in the kitchen to make meal preparation tolerable, if only we had a door between the kitchen and the dining room (and hence the rest of the house). Apparently, there was a door at one time, but it disappeared sometime over the last 162 years.

We couldn't just order a new door if we wanted it to look like the other historic 4-panel doors in the house. So, for about two years we went to antique home salvage places and such, looking for a door that matched. Eventually, we found one by the side of the road a few blocks from the house. Someone had put it out for big trash day. No hardware, layers of old alligatored paint and also a little too big for the door frame. We took it anyway and it had been sitting in the garage since last fall, waiting for my retirement.

On Tuesday, I spent hours scraping all the layers of paint off. Wednesday, I filled all the holes with wood putty and sanded it. Thursday, I measured it and the door frame about a dozen times and then cut it to size with a circular saw and a ten foot piece of angle iron clamped to the door as a fence. I then fitted some vintage hardware that I've had down in the cellar for the last 27 years in case it ever proved useful. I fit the door to the frame, planed down a few spots to account for the fact that nothing in this old house is ever quite straight, final sanded and hung the door. Today, I am painting it a slightly different color on each side to match the trim in that room.

And to think people asked me what I would possibly do all day after I retired.

I'm headed to Pagosa Springs for a weekend music festival. Have not been there in more than 30 years so sure it has grown a lot. Normally it would be hot by now and I would be escaping the city heat for the mountains but it has been a cool spring - just now starting to heat up. A good thing because I'm having problems getting my evaporative coolers running - float and metal tubing for the waterline need replacement.

Drove through Pagosa Springs a couple of weeks ago. Nice town. It was a little chilly and snowy there going over the pass.

Attachments

• IMG_4430.jpg
    IMG_4430.jpg
    378.8 KB · Views: 40
I am on day four of "The Door Project". We live in a historic house (c. 1857) and we do not have central air. We use a window A/C unit in the bedroom so we can sleep in August. It occurred to us a few years back that we could also put a window unit in the kitchen to make meal preparation tolerable, if only we had a door between the kitchen and the dining room (and hence the rest of the house). Apparently, there was a door at one time, but it disappeared sometime over the last 162 years.

We couldn't just order a new door if we wanted it to look like the other historic 4-panel doors in the house. So, for about two years we went to antique home salvage places and such, looking for a door that matched. Eventually, we found one by the side of the road a few blocks from the house. Someone had put it out for big trash day. No hardware, layers of old alligatored paint and also a little too big for the door frame. We took it anyway and it had been sitting in the garage since last fall, waiting for my retirement.

On Tuesday, I spent hours scraping all the layers of paint off. Wednesday, I filled all the holes with wood putty and sanded it. Thursday, I measured it and the door frame about a dozen times and then cut it to size with a circular saw and a ten foot piece of angle iron clamped to the door as a fence. I then fitted some vintage hardware that I've had down in the cellar for the last 27 years in case it ever proved useful. I fit the door to the frame, planed down a few spots to account for the fact that nothing in this old house is ever quite straight, final sanded and hung the door. Today, I am painting it a slightly different color on each side to match the trim in that room.

What a COOL project!!!! WOW! :D Hanging a door just right is an art, it seems to me. I'll bet that with that new paint in just the right colors, and also that vintage hardware, it looks terrific.

Very nice! Great find on the door and keeping the old hardware. But you’re just getting started. Retirement home projects never end.

You know how at dawn, birds are often flocked in the road, but when the car gets close they fly away? Not always.

She was probably just 2 weeks shy of her birdy retirement. One more nest.

Attachments

• IMG_1408.jpg
    IMG_1408.jpg
    589.3 KB · Views: 50
Went in for teeth cleaning. Dentist is really hustling now, as his spouse is organizing a dental program at local college. Only one chairside assistant today. Must be hard to find good help!

Drove through Pagosa Springs a couple of weeks ago. Nice town. It was a little chilly and snowy there going over the pass.
A lot of that snow has melted and is flooding the San Juan. We've lived here 3 years and I've never seen the river this high. We went to the Springs today and a couple of pools were flooded. As we were there you could see the river encroaching on the next level of sand bags.

Thanks ABQ2015 I didn't know of the festival, I guess that explains all the traffic. I'm guessing it's changed a lot in 30 years. I've met a couple folks who were here back then, yeah it's changed. A fellow down the road was telling me how the elk wintered in what became the subdivision we live in.

I am on day four of "The Door Project". We live in a historic house (c. 1857) and we do not have central air. We use a window A/C unit in the bedroom so we can sleep in August. It occurred to us a few years back that we could also put a window unit in the kitchen to make meal preparation tolerable, if only we had a door between the kitchen and the dining room (and hence the rest of the house)...

You may want to consider a mini-split instead of a window A/C. A small 9000-BTU/hr mini-split will cool much better, runs quieter, and saves money in the long run.

And the beauty of it is that the installation is within the skills of an average handyman.

PS. A decent 9000-BTU/hr mini-split will provide double the cooling power of a small 5000-BTU/hr window A/C for the same electric usage. It will cool the adjacent dining room as well.

I am on the 3rd day of checking out my newly installed 18,000-BTU/hr mini-split. It can cool my entire living space consisting of the living room, dining room, kitchen, breakfast area, family room, which are all connected. The above space may be about 1,400 sq.ft.

However, the late-afternoon outdoor temperature was only 104F, and the unit will not work this well when it hits 120F. Still, I am happy that the performance exceeds expectation (not counting the fact that I power it with juice from solar panels).

Last edited:
You know how at dawn, birds are often flocked in the road, but when the car gets close they fly away? Not always.

We currently have, amongst a zillion others, a baby bunny that lives in the ditch at the end of our driveway. She likes playing on the end of the drive and on the concession road.

I suggested to DW we nickname her "Roadkill"

Apparently dark humor is more a male virtue...:angel:

I forgot to mention something in my sales pitch for mini-split A/C above. The one I install is a heat pump, so it will also provide heat in the winter as my home is all electric.

I also paid extra for a better unit that can provide heat when the outside air is as low as -13F. This is a bit overkill as the winter here in the SW only drops below freezing a few nights each year. However, it also comes with a higher SEER of 21 for cooling, and that is what I need the most.

Old birds cannot fly away fast enough. I have often seen birds flailing around on the ground.

Come to think of it, most animals die an ignominious death when they are old and can no longer evade danger or defend themselves. I have seen a video of an old lion getting attacked and killed by a pack of hyenas.

Life's end is brutal. Humans and their pets are the only animals being able to die in peace.

We currently have, amongst a zillion others, a baby bunny that lives in the ditch at the end of our driveway. She likes playing on the end of the drive and on the concession road.

I suggested to DW we nickname her "Roadkill"

Apparently dark humor is more a male virtue...:angel:

To me it looks like something out of a Roadrunner cartoon. My neighbor reacted like your wife.

Old birds cannot fly away fast enough. I have often seen birds flailing around on the ground.

Come to think of it, most animals die an ignominious death when they are old and can no longer evade danger or defend themselves. I have seen a video of an old lion getting attacked and killed by a pack of hyenas.

Life's end is brutal. Humans and their pets are the only animals being able to die in peace.

In this case anyway I think it was instant death on impact.

Continuing with the master bedroom/ensuite build. Today I roughed in the electrical for the bathroom and then took on the miserable task of crawling in the attic to run a new bathroom exhaust fan...as this is a new bathroom I wasn't just replacing an old unit, but breaking ground for a new one so had to cut through the ceiling, disturb the insulation and vapour barrier, run the ducting (I went out the gable end so ensured that there was some downslope to prevent condensation), make it watertight where it exited the house, and then repair the hole in the vapour barrier.

They knock this off in 30 seconds on TV, but in the real world this can be a 2 hour job.

Several days ago I stripped much of the paint that was peeling from the garage pedestrian door frame using a Wagner Painteater that I'd bought somewhat on an experimental basis, figuring that if it was a dismal failure I'd return it. Reviews are very mixed on it. In this case it worked great for me and I'm very happy with it so it's a keeper, especially since I have a few other exterior small paint projects in the near future. I guess a lot depends on the formulation of the paint you're trying to remove so YMMV. Goggles and a face mask are definitely needed. Like most people I hate scraping paint so this is an improvement.

The day after that I applied a coat of primer, and today was the application of paint. I used a Sherwin-Williams "Emerald" paint (white in this case) that has a "limited lifetime warranty". That means that if the paint ever fails, and you kept your receipt, they'll replace the paint for free.:) They do not, however, send somebody to apply the paint for you.:(

Yet another reason to retire early!

What did I do today?

Well, today is my 71st birthday, so Frank took me to a nice Creole Italian restaurant for lunch, and we split a shrimp po'boy and onion rings. Calories don't count on my birthday (I hope!! :LOL: )

Then he seemed kind of dejected because last night somebody stole or took his favorite hat, so we went to the mall and he found another that he liked. He is fairly picky so I wasn't sure he'd find one. However, showing his genuine LBYM nature, he found a $13 Stetson hat that fit and looked great on him and he was very happy about that.

After that, and a long pleasure drive with happy chatting going on, it was time for him to go to his hobby job so I have some time to peruse the forum and relax at home here in my Dream House. A very nice birthday, all in all.

Happy Birthday! And best wishes for many more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom