What did you do today? 2019 version.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sepsis is a scary thing. Is yours caused by a prostate biopsy?

Haven't had the prostate biopsy yet - the onset of sepsis disrupted the schedule.

Started out with a bladder infection; initial tests indicated kidney stones which were given priority....then came sepsis....plus the discovery that I have a large 'pocket' in my bladder which exacerbates infection.

Urologist 'blasted' the left kidney and inserted a stent; was subsequently going to do the right one but decided to redo the left.

Have an appointment on June 14 to discuss options. Prostate biopsy has not yet been rescheduled.

Feeling 'better' (at this moment - but have learned that 'better' can be a very transitory thing, and that a trip to Emergency is always lurking in the dark corners).

Quite an awakening for someone who (previously) thought they were invulnerable.

I thought that sepsis had to be triggered by an invasive procedure, but that is not true.

From an NIH document:

Many types of microbes can cause sepsis, including bacteria, fungi, and viruses. However, bacteria are the most common cause. In many cases, doctors cannot identify the source of infection.

Severe cases of sepsis often result from a body-wide infection that spreadsthrough the bloodstream. Invasive medical procedures such as inserting a tube into a vein can introduce bacteria into the bloodstream and bring on the condition. But sepsis can also come from an infection confined to one part of the body, such as the lungs, urinary tract, skin, or abdomen (including the appendix)...

I finished installing the minisplit AC today. It is being run off the lithium battery bank right now at night.

For the last few weeks, the solar panels produced way more than what I could burn off by powering the electric water heater with a temporary extension cord. Now that I have run a lot of wiring from the solar power equipment garden shed to the main breaker box, I will be able to use up more of the collected solar power.

Will see how much power that 1.5-ton minisplit will take, besides the water heater which can consume as much as 10 kWh per day. The next target is the main fridge, which burns 5 kWh/day.

First day in too long a time with nothing on the calendar - a nice feeling to wake up to. For some reason, I woke up before 7 (very unusual unless I set an alarm) so doggy and I got a nice early walk. After breakfast I tackled reading a series of long documents for one of my volunteer gigs, making notes for things that need further research - I'd been putting this off until I had some good solid undivided time for it.

After finishing a load of laundry and eating lunch I decided to go to the mall - going to an outdoor wedding in August that calls for a new dress. After visiting Macy's, I know why they are in trouble - store very disorganized, ladies dresses crammed into a corner with no apparent rhyme or reason and racks so close together you could barely walk between them. Gave up and went to Dillards which was just the opposite - dresses nicely displayed in a large prominent area of the store. Found several worth trying on and one that, although not perfect, was good enough to buy. I may do a little more shopping but nice to have this out of the way.

Stopped at the grocery store on the way home to buy coffee (how did I run out of THAT?) and a sympathy card and ran into our former neighbor from across the street - it was a nice bonus to get to catch up with her.

Took my car in to the dealership for its regular service this afternoon and noticed that it was just a five minute walk to one of the best beer bars in the city. Waiting for the car has never been so pleasant!

We got up at o'dark thirty this morning because the electricians arrived then to install the recessed lights in the kitchen that DW has wanted since about 20 minutes after we moved in, or since she saw them on some TV show, I'm a bit fuzzy on which. Anyway, a long time. They had to come early to beat the heat (one was over the ceiling most of the time doing the wiring) but he got lucky, it was relatively cool today so he didn't suffer. They were done by a little after 10:00 AM.

And DW is happy, she has her new kitchen lighting.:dance:

I'm proud of myself: installed $70 Arris surfboard cable modem/router combo after being inspired by a thread here. Heck, I figured if my BIL can do it, then I should be able. So far, it's w*rking great!

I feel so free! The $13/month rental box is going back to the cable company next week.

I'm proud of myself: installed $70 Arris surfboard cable modem/router combo after being inspired by a thread here. Heck, I figured if my BIL can do it, then I should be able. So far, it's w*rking great!

I feel so free! The $13/month rental box is going back to the cable company next week.
Congratulations! Good job and that money you saved will add up fast.

Last weekend our termite guy did the annual termite inspection on both of our houses (Frank's and mine, right next door). I used that as a kick in the rear to do some serious housecleaning in my house last week. Not that the termite guy would even notice. :LOL: So anyway, today I know there are no termites, and also I am sitting in an unusually clean house and I love it. :)

Today I have nothing scheduled. We had lunch together earlier and that was nice. I'll probably read the forum for a while, take a nap, and then play my video game later on. Maybe do a little browsing on Amazon just for fun. It's a rough life (NOT!) :D

Haven't had the prostate biopsy yet - the onset of sepsis disrupted the schedule.

Started out with a bladder infection; initial tests indicated kidney stones which were given priority....then came sepsis....plus the discovery that I have a large 'pocket' in my bladder which exacerbates infection.

Urologist 'blasted' the left kidney and inserted a stent; was subsequently going to do the right one but decided to redo the left.

Have an appointment on June 14 to discuss options. Prostate biopsy has not yet been rescheduled.

Feeling 'better' (at this moment - but have learned that 'better' can be a very transitory thing, and that a trip to Emergency is always lurking in the dark corners).

Quite an awakening for someone who (previously) thought they were invulnerable.

All the best Nemo, from up the road. Hope that you are feeling better soon.

Long time reader but today I felt compelled to post post here for the first time in response to someone who's parent fell ill and they have mixed feelings about their care.

Hi Everyone, my name is Elisa :)

Long time reader but today I felt compelled to post post here for the first time in response to someone who's parent fell ill and they have mixed feelings about their care.

Hi Everyone, my name is Elisa :)
Hi, Elisa and welcome! You might want to introduce yourself in the "Hi, I am...". Forum so everyone can read it. [emoji4]

I finished installing the minisplit AC today. It is being run off the lithium battery bank right now at night.

For the last few weeks, the solar panels produced way more than what I could burn off by powering the electric water heater with a temporary extension cord. Now that I have run a lot of wiring from the solar power equipment garden shed to the main breaker box, I will be able to use up more of the collected solar power.

Will see how much power that 1.5-ton minisplit will take, besides the water heater which can consume as much as 10 kWh per day. The next target is the main fridge, which burns 5 kWh/day.

Woke up this morning to find the mini-split AC turned off. Went to the backyard shed to find the inverter off because the lithium battery getting low.

The night before, it lasted through the night. Apparently, the solar panels did not produce enough juice during the day to charge up the battery as well as running the AC and the water heater at the same time.

Need more solar panels! Most of the problems in the world can be solved by having more of some things. :)

Dr.'s visit today:

- Holter Monitor results good.

- Heart & Lung X-rays good.

Breathing with exertion should improve.

Next on the agenda - prostate & bladder.

Dr.'s visit today:

Terrific! Hopefully you will get through the next steps soon.

As for what I did today, well, we went to lunch together today, as we always do. Afterwards we went on a pleasure drive around the neighborhood, checking everything out like nosy old seniors are wont to do sometimes, and chatting and having fun.

When we got home, a few of our clocks were blinking due to a power outage and we each had a notice that our electric meter had been replaced by the electric company, with a "smart meter". We were told about this a few months ago and also it was made clear that we had no choice.

So, now we get to find out what smart meters are all about. As long as my electric bill stays about the same and I don't have to limit my usage, then all is well.

Gym day for us, with a stop on the way at Lowes to buy supplies for filling in the holes from the old kitchen light fixtures and some other stuff for the upcoming paint project of the outside trim of windows, doors and foundation wall. I bought a sprayer that was on sale (Wagner Flexio 3000) some bits of wood and primer.

Reviews are mixed on the sprayer, but watching some on youtube I get the sense that the main key is to RTFM, something that at least some reviewers clearly did not do with predictable results.

After the gym we went by a Sherwin-Williams paint store for the paint. I'm impressed by how long the exterior paint has lasted and I know they used that brand on the interior and hope it's the same outside. The nice lady said there's a 40% off sale on Friday, so "you might want to wait". Um, yes. Just as well I have to go back since I forgot paint strainers anyway.:facepalm:

Really bad rain today so after my morning workout at the gym, I took the rest of the day off...[emoji23]

Today was interesting. I drove to Durango to the hospital for a cervical epidural. I told DW she didn't need to accompany me as the procedure upsets her(guess what it does to me?[emoji23] ).

It's weird how life works sometimes. In the beginning of the year I took her to biofeedback for a headache she had. Today, and other days, I used biofeedback she was taught to tolerate a medical procedure.

In Y2K I had two cervical epidurals that really were difficult to tolerate; today I walked out with the nurse laughing at how easy this procedure was to tolerate.

I'm not well yet but I'm feeling more of my of my hand. It's only part of my ring finger but it's an improvement. For the moment the guy chopping my shoulder has stopped.

Last edited:
Went to the ranch early this morning and broadcasted flax and wild flower seeds on a few hill sides. I have wild flowers on the place but I wanted to try to start some more in areas that don't have any. I also weed whacked walking lanes to get to my June Berry trees and currants. Another great day in paradise.

Dr.'s visit today:

Looks like you are back on schedule for a repositioning cruise in fall.

... When we got home, a few of our clocks were blinking due to a power outage and we each had a notice that our electric meter had been replaced by the electric company, with a "smart meter". We were told about this a few months ago and also it was made clear that we had no choice.

So, now we get to find out what smart meters are all about. As long as my electric bill stays about the same and I don't have to limit my usage, then all is well.

I have had a smart meter for a few years. No matter what rate schedule I choose, I can get on the utility Web site to find out about my electricity usage in each hour period of the day. And they keep that hourly data for 1 year. The total daily usage is kept for 3 years.

As I am tweaking my solar power storage system, I want to know how it reduces my consumption from the grid. I woke up early this morning, and logged in to see if they had the data for the day before (ending at midnight). That data was not there at 3AM, but at 5AM it was up. Good stuff!

Here's how it is worthwhile for me to know how much electricity my home uses in each hour period.

I signed up for a Time-Of-Use plan. In the summer, the rate is 7.3c/kWh except for the peak period when it is 24.09c/kWh. A huge difference!

The peak period is from 2PM to 8PM. Notice that the peak period is way past sunset. Obviously, I want to save the juice in my lithium battery to use when it pays the best.

And if I cannot generate enough solar power, it would pay for me to precharge the battery in the morning, then use it when the rate is high. A 1kWh from solar panels is worth 24c, but 1kWh by arbitrage is worth 16.79c already.

Is all this work worth it? Probably not, but it keeps my mind active and lets me build some hardware and write some firmware. Rarely does a hobby pay anything, and this one does. Heh heh heh...

Today we had a great lunch. DW made us BLT's made with my first giant tomato (8.3 oz). Trader Joe's sourdough perfectly toasted, Best Foods Mayo spread from crust to crust, and 5 slices of pan fried thick bacon.per sandwich, and a leaf of romaine lettuce.YUMM :D

The first BLT of the season is the greatest thing ever! Sadly, we won't get to that point until late July or early August. The best is a BLT with a side of fresh corn on the cob picked right before we eat it.

Fired up the el cheap Oster electric smoker again and smoked chicken breast, enough for several days. Used to apply tons of dry rub, but learning just seasoning half way through give better flavor while using less spice. Less w*rk too. A little 3 buck chuck Merlot in the water pan too. Wonderful!

I'm headed to Pagosa Springs for a weekend music festival. Have not been there in more than 30 years so sure it has grown a lot. Normally it would be hot by now and I would be escaping the city heat for the mountains but it has been a cool spring - just now starting to heat up. A good thing because I'm having problems getting my evaporative coolers running - float and metal tubing for the waterline need replacement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom