What did you do today? 2019 version.

Status
Not open for further replies.
DW and I played our first round of golf today after a 30 year hiatis. Didn't score to well but enjoyed the beautiful Florida evening with dinner and drinks along with our new neighbors.

Life is good!

I bought a BRINLY single bottom (pull behind) garden tractor plow from a local steam engine show at our county fair grounds for $60, and rusty. I dis-assembled it and took it to work, where I was able to use the blasting cabinet to remove all the old paint/rust/crust down to bare metal. I sprayed primer on all the pieces, and then sprayed color. I am now spraying clear lacquer to protect the paint, and make it shine.

I usually do 2-3 plow days a year (in the fall) where 20-30 guys will plow a farmer's field with our garden tractors....lots of fun, comaraderie, and good food at these events. No costs involved other than gas.

New roof shingles are done. I went up on the roof yesterday and used leaf blower to get the little shingle pebbles off before getting gutters. Gutters are now done. Tomorrow will be leaf guards. I should never have to set foot on the roof of the house again.

Spent the last 2 days deep cleaning the workshop. Insurance inspector showed up today to do an appraisal of our house - to make sure that we have it insured for replacement cost.

DD gave me the ancestry.com DNA kit so I’ll be spitting into the tube so I can get confirmation that I am the least culturally diverse person ever. I’ll forgo learning about long-lost/unknown extended family as I try not to deal with the family I already know about.

We met up w/Son and family to enjoy back to school clothes shopping brick and mortar style. Grands are 2nd and 3rd grade. Little girl was fun! The boy, more like it fits and I’m hungry. Dinner out and back to our place for some swimming. Before I know it we keep them overnight. It’s okay, life’s short and school starts Monday. It’s a good life.

I picked up some surplus garden veggies from friends and then stopped at a local market on the way home for some fresh produce. On our evening walk we saw a flock of 10 turkeys, including 5 chicks. We also saw a robin sized white bird dive bombing a large raptor that was probably a turkey vulture. We have a lot of raptors in the area but usually they are just flying around by themselves and not engaged in aerial battles so that was unusual.

I'm working on getting our emergency supplies up to date and today worked on replacing the older smoke detectors and fire extinguishers.

Getting closer to retirement, you guys! My last working day is Dec. 9 (4 months away!), soooo ... sold the house & now living in an apartment while in the process of buying a home in the new location. Spent over two weeks in the new location a few states over, and we now have a house under contract on the other side! People at work are starting to ask what some of my plans are after retirement - I couldn't be happier to tell them. (If DW had her way, I'd retire today! :) )

I went to MusicFest in Bethlehem last night and got home late, so I planned to sleep late this morning. Nope, not happening. A fire call at 7:00 a.m. woke me up and now it's too late to go back to bed. I predict a nap this afternoon.

Finally have some ripe tomatoes! Crazy weather this summer has things growing late or not at all.
Time for a great BLT sandwich.

We went to the 109th annual Plant Science Day at the Connecticut Agricultural Experiment Station. It was a very nice opportunity to get out to a beautiful setting and learn some new things to help with our garden. After that, we ate lunch at a most excellent southwest restaurant in New Haven. Visited the Yale Art Museum after lunch, then stopped by our garden plot on the way home to pick some corn for dinner. This retirement gig is pretty nice!

Searched Berlin Brigade for old info. Dug around. I was surprised to find what I believe is me with a photo caption. I need to research that more.

We saw Bush, Live and a Canadian band called Our Lady Peace at an outdoor concert last night. I bought a big fuzzy blanket in the afternoon at Costco that came in handy for warmth after the sun went down.

Slept in today, gave the dog a bath and mostly just puttered around the house.

Last edited:
We went to the 109th annual Plant Science Day at the Connecticut Agricultural Experiment Station. It was a very nice opportunity to get out to a beautiful setting and learn some new things to help with our garden. After that, we ate lunch at a most excellent southwest restaurant in New Haven. Visited the Yale Art Museum after lunch, then stopped by our garden plot on the way home to pick some corn for dinner. This retirement gig is pretty nice!

Retirement seems to be agreeing with you. Glad to hear you are both enjoying the retired life.

Walking on crutches after stepping over. It's hard work! :wiseone:

So I had a pizza delivered. Tasted pretty good - but my own homemade is better.

I'm getting the money worth out of recliner though. Lot's of naps since my foot keeps waking me up at night.

Went to my 3 month periodontal cleaning and my pocket depths have improved so much over the last year that I can go back to a 4 month schedule. No pockets over 4 mm. Yippee!! Switching to the more expensive Sonicare and using proxabrushes was worthwhile.

Finally got xfinity to credit my $13/mo for returning their rental cable modem. Was supposed to be automatic; it wasn't. Probably cost me over 90 minutes of phone time over 2 days. Had to drag DW over on the 2nd day since I wasn't on the account. The bill is now going down from around $64/mo to $50/mo. Good riddance rental hardware and crazy fees!

Waiting for my SIM card from Consumer Cellular so that I can swithc DW's phone also. The we'll be rid of AT&T!

Went to my 3 month periodontal cleaning and my pocket depths have improved so much over the last year that I can go back to a 4 month schedule. No pockets over 4 mm. Yippee!! Switching to the more expensive Sonicare and using proxabrushes was worthwhile.

Good to hear! Been down this road too. Love my Sonicare. Makes proper brushing more consistent and less of a chore.

Now on the normal 6 month schedule, instead of 3-4. You'll get there!

Thanks, FreeBear. This continual dental care is tedious and frustrating but less so than dealing with xfinity. Getting your xfinity bill down to $50 a month is impressive.

Sold the 2003 Taurus.

One day on Craig's list! Posted thursday, sold it yesterday. How's that for fast? Ran it through the car wash at the gas station, took 3 pics and posted it up. Had 3 inquiries in 3 hours, sold to the first guy.

Sold the 2003 Taurus.

One day on Craig's list! Posted thursday, sold it yesterday. How's that for fast? Ran it through the car wash at the gas station, took 3 pics and posted it up. Had 3 inquiries in 3 hours, sold to the first guy.

I wonder if the buyer aspires to FIRE? :D

I sold my 2002 BMW convertible by word of mouth last week (I know, just kill me!:hide:).

Seems like good used cars are selling fast. No wonder since new car prices are scary high!

This Fall, when I recover from the traumatic loss of the Beemer, I plan to look for another unsensible car to purchase. ;)

Sold the 2003 Taurus.

DW had a 2004 Taurus. She drove it for 100,000 miles and only needed brakes and tires. Her mom has it now, still running great.

Thanks, FreeBear. This continual dental care is tedious and frustrating but less so than dealing with xfinity. Getting your xfinity bill down to $50 a month is impressive.

Thanks! Back to the dentist this week for a crown. At least, I've managed to avoid dental implants so far, unlike DW. Dental has been our largest "unplanned" expense since FIRE. :facepalm:

DW had a 2004 Taurus. She drove it for 100,000 miles and only needed brakes and tires. Her mom has it now, still running great.

These can run forever if you get a good one. Comfortable too. The trick is getting a good one...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom