What did you do today? 2019 version.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Finally gave up and painted the PVC brick casing and 1 x 6 around the garage entrance that I replaced last spring because of the wood rotting. There was nothing wrong with the PVC, but the caulk I used changed color from white to tan and showed up very noticeably. Not a critical issue but it irritated me. And at the top, where the wood hadn't rotted, the paint was wearing thin anyway. So hopefully that's taken care of for the next 20 years. It doesn't get any direct sunlight so it may indeed last that long.

I got back from my northern New Mexico trip last night. Had a good time. Also went to the farmer's market this morning to stock up on vegies. Bought a small bag of roasted Hatch green chile. Will be looking for chile sellers/roasters in my area over the next two weeks. I buy a 50 pound bag and remove the stems and peel it before freezing. This takes most of a day.

Renewed my DL (needed just the vision test) at a downstate office since we are visiting DH’s hometown. Almost worth the three-plus hours drive away from Chicagoland DL offices just for that—not only was there no waiting on my part, there was an employee waiting for someone to need his help who was thrilled when I walked in!

We got up early and went out to the garden while it was still cool. Harvested a few different things. Made a second sowing of peas and green beans so we can have a fall harvest. Then we took a mile walk around the neighborhood.

After that, I climbed up on the roof to spray moss killer on the permanently shady spot. I'll have to go back up tomorrow to scrub off all the dead moss.

For lunch, the young wife made cold cucumber soup and cheesy spaghetti squash bread, which is a sort of pizza made with spaghetti squash and parmesan cheese.

Renewed my DL (needed just the vision test) at a downstate office since we are visiting DH’s hometown. Almost worth the three-plus hours drive away from Chicagoland DL offices just for that—not only was there no waiting on my part, there was an employee waiting for someone to need his help who was thrilled when I walked in!

Whoa! Thanks for the reminder! I need to renew my DL ASAP. I'm going to try to get a gold star license, but DW had to jump through a lot of hoops to get hers. Could be difficult.

Went back to the gym for the second time since my injury. First time I only walked on the treadmill for half hour. This time I tried to jog for a while, my hand and shoulder both lit up to tell me about it..

Went out to lunch at our favorite Mexican restaurant and did a walk around the neighborhood. Enjoying a monsoon thunderstorm now while DW is entertained by another disaster movie. It's really the same movie, just a different set.

Much rain and lightning this morning, so no walk and no laundry.
Will use the dryer tomorrow.
Gave blood.
Will see my cholesterol results on Monday.

Worked in the garden early. Then climbed up on the roof to scrub off all the moss I killed yesterday. I'm sure I'll have to repeat the process in a few months. Currently in the middle of smoking a pork shoulder, so we can have pulled pork sandwiches for dinner.

I have that feeling that, long ago, was referred to as "I'm gonna hate myself in the morning" but this time it has nothing to do with alcohol. First day back at the gym for a bit over a week, in part because of a recurrence of afib (well, it seemed like a good excuse) and DW's grandnieces visiting 10 minutes away.

I didn't spare myself, and the atrophy that sets in during such a short period of time is scary. But I'm fairly sure I'm going to be in some measure of pain tomorrow, if not later today.

Rode my bike to the beach this morning and spent a short time there stretching and watching folks set out in various watercraft with their crab pots. (Thought the young couple carrying four pots on a sit-atop kayak should be wearing their PFDs!)

Took the medium-long way back home, then had my mid-morning coffee while I finished adapting my work laptop for home use. Friday was my last day, and my manager said I could keep my laptop. It's out of warranty, and so not supported by IT, so they'd just toss it --such a waste of a perfectly good E7450!

Did laundry, made four loaves of zucchini bread and two trays of coffee ice cubes for the thermos of iced mochas we'll take for our bike ride and picnic tomorrow. Looking forward to tomorrow evening when we crack open the bottle of Tanqueray that's in the fridge for some G&Ts to celebrate the first Monday of my retirement!

Recovered from a surprise party for DW to celebrate her birthday and 15 years cancer free! Fifteen years ago yesterday on her birthday she had surgery for ovarian and uterine cancers, followed with chemo and radiation. Up to now she has beaten the odds, and she was thrilled all her family and friends came to celebrate. She was completely taken by surprise! A great weekend for my sweet love!

Congratulations, @O2Bfree!

About to have my fifth Monday, and the good feeling is going strong.

Today I canned two more jars of pickled vegetables straight from the garden. Then I was out later and discovered another big zucchini hidden from sight. Not too big, but time to harvest. Dehydrated 3 good-sized zukes and a huge head of broccoli. Planted three new plants, a Joe Pye Weed, a yellow daylily, and a red monarda (bee balm).

Messed with the chickens, and let them roam around the yard and be startled. They were startled at a plane overhead, and DH closing a door. They were startled when my Chihuahua went inside their coop while they were out.

Went to the dump. Stopped at the farm stand and bought basil, fresh corn, and blueberries. Admired DH's progress siding the barn. Made sloppy joes and corn on the cob for dinner. It was about 75* and sunny. Another day in paradise.

Last edited:
Thanks trumpeting_angel! This year I planted what I thought were one zucchini and two kabocha, but mysteriously ended up with two zucchini and one kabocha. Guess I got the seeds mixed up :confused:.

What do you do with the dried zucchini and broccoli?

Today is my 4th year and 4th day of retirement. I relished in that thought plenty today! Between doing whatever I felt like...

Recovered from a surprise party for DW to celebrate her birthday and 15 years cancer free! Fifteen years ago yesterday on her birthday she had surgery for ovarian and uterine cancers, followed with chemo and radiation. Up to now she has beaten the odds, and she was thrilled all her family and friends came to celebrate. She was completely taken by surprise! A great weekend for my sweet love!

Happy Birthday wishes to your DW and congratulations to her on 15 cancer-free years - that is wonderful news! :flowers:

Happy Birthday wishes to your DW and congratulations to her on 15 cancer-free years - that is wonderful news! :flowers:

+1 What a wonderful day!

That is amazing ! I hope she continues to be Cancer free.

More rain and lightning today.
Managed to get my three mile walk in between thunderstorms; got rained on, but no lightning.
Used the dryer.
Have not been getting much production from solar panels for last several days.
My cholesterol was 257.

Did my volunteer work for the food pantry, picking up surplus food from a grocery store about 15 miles away... for the first time ever I had more food than would fit in the bed of the pickup so I put a couple boxes in the cab. Thankfully there were lots of volunteers when I got there to help weight it an put it away.

Then went and made a deposit at the bank for my other volunteer job. Then surfed the internet a bit and felt tired so I took a 2 1/2 hour nap. Then mowed the front lawn and loaded the truck for tomorrow's activities. Then Iwent over and saw my mom and had a beer while she had a drink.

Overall a good day.

Finished a few days of on and off getting an old Toshiba 490CDT upgraded from win 95 to XP Sp3. Then installing Solar charger monitor software on it which would not run on Win95. It has a whopping 96 meg of memory and speed demon 233 MHZ processor.

Why this old slow poke thing? Weeellll, it works on 12 Volt DC!
Twenty years ago I had it installed in my suburban with a GPS and and mapping software, some years ago pulled it and put in an Garmin.

Finished planting the 4 day lilies in our front yard. Hooked up drip irrigation tubes to all 4. Went to the hardware to get adjustable sprinkler heads for the lilies.
Then went to the bloodmobile to donate blood. I do this every 2 months.
Tomorrow I will be volunteering at the hospice repairing wheelchairs and walkers. If time permits, I will go out to the switch engine to check on some electrical stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom