What did you do today? 2019 version.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Short road trip since Monday. Spent Monday afternoon and Tuesday morning at the FDR house tour, museum and library. So much history and seeds of change in such a short period of time.

We intend to go back and visit again, as there wasn’t enough time to process it all. We are in NH visiting friends, then to Newport RI for a couple of days, then home.

It will be the first time since retirement that I’m home and not overly busy.

Got up early to work in the garden before the heat came. We had four artichokes ready for harvest, so that's what we're having for dinner. The young wife made tomatillo salsa for lunch - mmmmm, mmm good!

I also went in for my yearly physical. I am the perfect piece of equipment for a submarine - works fine, lasts a long time, fails safe and drains to the bilge.

In the supermarket this morning, looking for some pipe cleaners (best tool for cleaning the hummingbird feeder). Asked two employees, who both helpfully showed me where to find the Drano. :facepalm:
I seriously doubt whether either of them had the slightest idea what a pipe cleaner was.

Finally found them, in the area with the cigarettes. Grabbed a few packages and when I passed one over the scanner it beeped and yelled "ID Check Required!" so I needed another helpful employee to clear that, but he saw nothing funny about it. :facepalm:

Anyway, a most humorous morning and I'm still chuckling over it. :LOL:

Finished going through the enormous (and heavy) satchel of manuals that came with our RV almost 7 years ago. Scanned or downloaded the ones we might need on the road, threw away all of the extraneous stuff (warranty cards, fluff brochures, manila folders with only one document inside, etc.). Satchel is now about ½ the weight but will stay at home in a closet, giving me additional storage space in a prime location where it used to live. Only downside is that I should have done it 5 years ago :facepalm:

I got the old printer to work. Noisily, but it works. Remove & replace all toner cartridges and spin a little gear that each one shows when removed. Somewhat apprehensively, and over a trash can the first time, lest an explosion of toner occur. But that didn't happen. Also went out and bought a USB cable to try plugging it in that way instead of wireless (who knows what happened to the original cable) and that works.

So now it works. It is still noisy, but the gear-gnashing grinding noises are gone. The new replacement printer is still in it's unopened box, and I suspect the old one will grind along forever, unless I send the new one back. Then, instantly, the old one will die. I'm on to their wily ways, and will not fall victim to those old machinery tricks, so the new one will stay, staring down the old, and daring, just daring, it to try anything funny, lest it find itself in the compactor of the trash truck.

Had my back molar extracted and bone graft. Local has worn off and I'm eating ice cream before popping that pain pill.

Unloaded the motor home since we are selling it. I forgot what a pain it is to sell something that’s not small. Plus people are unreliable, don’t show up for appointments, etc. We priced it lower than blue book low price and willing to take a reasonable offer and then people make ridiculous ones. Ugh! So glad Burning Man is next month because it should sell to a burner.

Just ordered new iPhones for DW and me after seeing them on sale at Best Buy.

Finished going through the enormous (and heavy) satchel of manuals that came with our RV almost 7 years ago. Scanned or downloaded the ones we might need on the road, threw away all of the extraneous stuff (warranty cards, fluff brochures, manila folders with only one document inside, etc.). Satchel is now about ½ the weight but will stay at home in a closet, giving me additional storage space in a prime location where it used to live. Only downside is that I should have done it 5 years ago :facepalm:

I have gone to downloading pdfs for all manuals for our stuff... they are in a folder on my laptop... much easier and less clutter/stuff.

Completed volunteer paperwork to register Sam (my Goldie therapy dog) for a program that has kids struggling in reading read stories to dogs. Monday afternoon is our first gig - can't wait!!!

I have gone to downloading pdfs for all manuals for our stuff... they are in a folder on my laptop... much easier and less clutter/stuff.

I had the same thought when I finished the RV manuals - I have a large drawer full of paper manuals that could probably go as well. Another project for the (long) list.

Pulled my head out of the sand and my azz and made an appointment with a spine surgeon for a consultation on how he might fix me. The young PA really read me and by her backing off I choose to learn recent facts. Back in 96 a nuerosurgeon did the same consult and scared the crap out of both DW and me. Hey technology is better, the surgeon in 96 didn't even trust the MRI, now even I can see details. This guy has a great pedigree and specializes in non graft options, which I want. He's in network and I'm already at max OOP, so I have no excuses.

After that we went to the springs and then had lunch on the river. Nice day.

ETA: I really can't see right now, eye surgery on 8/14

Last edited:

I’ve been doing that, organizing them into iOS books, and all of a sudden I couldn’t find one I was sure had been downloaded. Same thing happened with some books. A web search at Apple support forums shows this apparently is not uncommon, There’s a workaround, but its a bit of a PITA.

Completed volunteer paperwork to register Sam (my Goldie therapy dog) for a program that has kids struggling in reading read stories to dogs. Monday afternoon is our first gig - can't wait!!!

I recently read about this kind of program (kids reading to dogs). What a wonderful thing for you and Sam to do!

Took the car ferry from St, Charles, MO across the Mississippi to Grafton, IL. Drove though the nearby State Park, stopped in some shops, had lunch on the river front and then cocktails at a winery on bluff over-looking the river.

Went and shopped at the farmers market. Took a nap. Watched a PBS documentary on Mark Twain. Had the best laugh with DH and now going to bed early.

I recently read about this kind of program (kids reading to dogs). What a wonderful thing for you and Sam to do!
And think how much smarter the dogs will be.

Stung by a wasp and had to cut off my ring before it strangled my finger.
The older I get the more affected I am by wasp stings. Seems like I should build up some immunity for less effect, but it works the other way for some reason.
IMG_2181.jpg

Stung by a wasp and had to cut off my ring before it strangled my finger.
The older I get the more affected I am by wasp stings. Seems like I should build up some immunity for less effect, but it works the other way for some reason.
View attachment 32308

About 5 years ago I had a single sting on my lower leg by a yellow wasp, aka yellow jacket. Ended up in the emergency room with an anaphylactic reaction. Probably would have survived without that trip, but I was WAAAAY out of it.

As a result, I learned some things I didn't know. For one, a history of stings means nothing. It can happen at any time. Another, there are blood tests that check for IGE antibodies for specific species. In my case, wasps and hornets (vespid family) is the problem.

Might be worth a visit to an allergist/immunologist who specializes in venom reactions. They can do blood tests, skin tests, and if severe enough may recommend immunotherapy. Even if you just end up carrying an Epipen for a reaction, it could save your life.

I just got reassessed at 5 years to see if I could stop. Some of my original results were at the highest level of sensitivity. Better, but still not out of the woods. Recommendation is to continue with the immunotherapy and carry an Epipen. Some folks would stop due to the inconvenience and cost, but I plan to continue. Don't want to go through that again.

When I first had the reaction, I recall reading that there are a modest number of deaths each year to wasp/hornet/bee stings, maybe 50-100, but that most of those the people weren't aware they were sensitive to the sting. You've been given an early warning, up to you whether to look into it more.

Last edited:
Local framers market today. Lots of fresh veggies to roast for dinner tonight. Yum!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom