What did you do today? 2019 version.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I applied online for my social security benefit. Since my birthday is in November, I probably won't receive a deposit until January of next year. But hey, I've got my name in the pot! :D

Yay! Party at the bbbamI house:dance:! Next September I'll have switched to my own SS record which will be an additional (drum roll) $2400! a year more than what I've been collecting since FRA as half of DH's.

Yay! Party at the bbbamI house:dance:! Next September I'll have switched to my own SS record which will be an additional (drum roll) $2400! a year more than what I've been collecting since FRA as half of DH's.
Hot damn...congrats, even mo' money! :clap:

I'm pretty excited about getting a few more pennies for the bank account, but wondering if I jinxed myself since today is Friday the 13th. :ermm:

Changed out an old light fixture by outside front door. I also went bow hunting mule deer.

Last edited:
Wow, the young lady bbbamI made it to the SS age. Congrats.

Next milestone: Medicare. Yay!

Wow, the young lady bbbamI made it to the SS age. Congrats.

Next milestone: Medicare. Yay!
I'm not too thrilled about medicare, but sure hope to be above ground at that time.

I was 49 when I joined this forum. Ahhhh...memories. I plan to make a few more. ;)

It's scary when you think about how fast time flies.

I just realized that when I was old enough to read about WWII as a kid, the war was not that old. Yet, it felt as old as WWI, because I did not really have the concept of time. To a kid, they were just a long time ago.

And that time is about the same as the 9/11 event until now.

Arghh! I don't have a lot of time left.

A few days ago, I hiked a mile into the redwood forest with a folding chair, and sat reading a book for five hours. Put this on your bucket list. It's magical being there in all that silence (birds are rare in a deep redwood forest, since the trees are insect resistant. I saw one bird and one squirrel).

T8mrmPf.png

The next day, I took DW and did it again, but only for an hour or so.

nEvPz8s.png

Then we went on a jet boat tour:

maxresdefault.jpg

A few days ago, I hiked a mile into the redwood forest with a folding chair, and sat reading a book for five hours. Put this on your bucket list. It's magical being there in all that silence (birds are rare in a deep redwood forest, since the trees are insect resistant. I saw one bird and one squirrel)...

Hopefully, you are not so engrossed in the book to not hear the crackling of the leaves and branches from an approaching bear.

Removed the old caulking from around the brick molding around the front door with a Milwaukee battery-powered oscillating tool. Love those Milwaukee power tools, in the past I've done it the old way with hammer & chisel and that's work. Then reapplied new caulk to the joints. Tomorrow is painting it day.

I'm pondering how to paint the front door later on. There is no screen door so I'll have to figure some way to keep the bugs out while I'm painting and the paint is drying since I'll have to leave the door open. I'm thinking of the plastic sheets that painters use for isolating rooms that are being sprayed or just drop cloths.

It's still too hot to resume doing work on my solar battery storage system, though I have been monitoring it each day.

The weather has cooled down now that we are past mid-summer. The 24-hr average temperature is now 94F (34C), and my grid consumption is only 25 kWh yesterday. Last year, at the same temperature I used 60-70 kWh off the grid.

Again, it's a combination of solar generation (about 25 kWh/day right now) and the more efficient use of the mini-split to result in the above energy saving.

The plan is still to install another mini-split for the master bedroom. I am still debating putting an additional 2kW worth of PV panels on the roof. Price is cheap, but it takes a bit of work. On the other hand, when all the other subsystems are in, the additional kWhs from the new panels have a very low marginal cost.

It has to be cool enough to take down the entire system inside the shed, and to rewire the components for neatness and to add instrumentation and automatic safety features. A small window AC needs to be installed to keep the equipment cool. Right now, the shed door has to cracked open during the day, and a fan used to exhaust the hot air. Then, the shed door is closed at night to keep out critters.

Last edited:
PSA - Water damage and your homeowner's insurance

Paying the price for having been cheap awhile back.

About a year ago, I replaced the broken fill valve in the powder room toilet. I'm not super handy but I'd done it before and this one was a little harder as there is very little space between the toilet and the wall on the handle side. But I got it done.

Fast forward to our return from our 3-week RV trip. When I walk in the house I immediately see water damage on the foyer wood floor. I immediately suspect the powder room adjacent and although I don't see any water, I turn off the toilet supply valve and flush it. Next day called a plumber. Turns out it indeed was the toilet which developed a slow leak at where the fill valve meets the supply line. Plumber fixed it and recommended a water remediation service as there was clearly water in the drywall and wood floor (on slab).

Remediation service came right out and started work along with opening a homeowner's claim. Just as they were fixing to leave (with several noisy fans and blowers running for several days), the insurance adjuster called to say that we had not purchased the endorsement for damage by slow leaking water, so it was not covered (if the entire tank had suddenly dumped out that would have been covered). Water remediation company did take pity on us and discount the charges about 35%.

Now DH and I are wearing earplugs 24x7 because of the noise. Not going to be a fun few days. Time for a glass of wine (or two).

How awful, MBAustin! Sometimes it's really hard for me to understand why insurance companies would insure one thing but not another in the same policy. Oh well. Sorry this is happening and I hope it is all repaired soon.

Today we went out to lunch at a favorite restaurant, and then went on a long pleasure drive. Right now I am doing a big load of laundry. All of this is great fun because just a few weeks ago, I wasn't able to do it without help (due to my knee surgery). But now I can. :D

I am still forbidden to drive, so F has been my chauffeur whenever I go places. I am hoping that my doctor will relent and tell me that I can begin driving, when I see him on the 30th.

Time for a glass of wine (or two).

+1

A minimum of two for sure.

Your experience is why we make a point of shutting off the water to the house anytime we leave the house overnight. It is a royal PITA to go through water remediation and having no insurance coverage is adding insult to injury.

Hope the drying out process goes quickly for you.

Enjoyed lunch with friends in Smithfield, RI, after spending yesterday in Newport, and just watched the lighting of Water Fire in Providence, right across from our hotel.

Went to my Daughters of the American Revolution meeting. Called a to cousin in Colo. Now, I’m having fun with 2 grandkids staying overnight. 2moro “Boys” go to a NHL pre-season game and “Girls” stay here playing princess. Life is soo dang good!

Took DW out to a nice Italian restaurant for her 74th birthday. We are celebrating a bit early as her birthday is mid-next week and the kids will be over then.:)

Put another coat of varnish on the DIY office cabinet and made 2 shelves for it. Drove over to Cafe Mendoza for a nice lunch of camarones al mojo de ajo, drank 3 beers and am enjoying a rum and coke before I toss the sausages on the Barbee.

Hopefully, you are not so engrossed in the book to not hear the crackling of the leaves and branches from an approaching bear.
Bear? I worry about a horny Bigfoot here in the PNW.

A most delightful experience yesterday.
I was walking through a craft fair and as I passed down the line of vendors' booths a teenager looked at me, stopped still, and suddenly got a huge grin on his face. I knew what it was, because I was wearing a very distinctive T-shirt.

He said "We just bought that same shirt. My mother has to see this." Then he called his mother over and told her to look at my shirt.

The mother looked at it and said "Yes, I got that shirt for my daughter." By this time the young man had walked on, and she confided to me "He's autistic and never speaks to strangers, so he must be having a very good day. Thanks for being here."

Absolutely made my day. :)

A few days ago, I hiked a mile into the redwood forest with a folding chair, and sat reading a book for five hours. Put this on your bucket list. It's magical being there in all that silence (birds are rare in a deep redwood forest, since the trees are insect resistant. I saw one bird and one squirrel).

T8mrmPf.png

Yes, we so enjoyed our time in your redwoods!

+1

A minimum of two for sure.

Your experience is why we make a point of shutting off the water to the house anytime we leave the house overnight. It is a royal PITA to go through water remediation and having no insurance coverage is adding insult to injury.

Hope the drying out process goes quickly for you.

Right, same here, we shut off water and gas anytime we leave for more than a few days/weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom