What did you do today? 2019 version.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Went to acupuncture this morning and then to Dollar Tree on the way home for a couple items.
Raked a few leaves and stuffed the yard debris bin full for tomorrow morning pickup.
Attended an open house for a breast cancer support organization that has been very helpful for me this past year. Came home with a bag of cosmetics to try that were donated to the organization by Thrive Causemetics. Will be fun to try, but I don't often wear makeup.
Feeling frustrated that I can't go in the pool for a month after my minor surgery on Monday to remove my port. Hope the time goes fast!

Today, eght of us in our ROMEO group drove to Galveston, TX for lunch at Fisherman's Wharf. We took two cars and had a great time. It rained like the dickens on the way back (75 miles).

Hubby’s upper middle back went under the scalpel for cancer. He’s doing great. My nurse duties don’t start until tomorrow. If the pathology comes back clean recheck in another 3-6months. Good ole cancer...the gift that keeps on giving! We’re good.

Hubby’s upper middle back went under the scalpel for cancer. He’s doing great. My nurse duties don’t start until tomorrow. If the pathology comes back clean recheck in another 3-6months. Good ole cancer...the gift that keeps on giving! We’re good.

Good luck!

I pulled 8 sapling stumps out of the field in our property where we want to put our food garden. Only 1 million to go...:ermm:

Quick lunch of prosciutto (from Aldi) and Swiss cheese slices rolled up and a selection of my favorite dill pickles. DW calls it my "poor man's charcuterie board".

Back out to stump pulling for the few hours of daylight left.....at least it is nor wet or cold.

Made a quick grocery trip and ran into the Tamale girl, her tamales make the local Mexican places look bad. Eight spicy green chille tamales came home with me. [emoji39]

Warm, 60°, sunny day. Twice a year the HOA wants us to rake up pine straw and bag it. Today was the last day to call for pickup and we hadn't started raking! DW is a great organizer, except with the HOA. We needed a count of the bags before noon. After a couple hours we guessed 10, the HOA suggested if we had a couple more we could add them. Ended up with 12 all neatly stacked at the end of the driveway.

I'm going to eat tamales and not much else for the rest of the day.

Last edited:
Getting cold out, so my morning run was on the treadmill. First run on it since the incline adjustment broke on the full incline setting. I'm not going to fix it. I like being forced to use the incline.

Cancelled Sirius radio on DW's car, renewed subscription on my truck.

Adjusted water temp on master bath shower, but not per DW's liking.

Started my cord cutting project. Installed a Firestick on one tv. And installed a vpn.

Yesterday....went to our local gym and walked the track and then swam with my Mom and sis. Came home and made some phone calls. We finally got rid of our land line! My DH now has his very own iPhone. We also walked outside, but it was cold for November in Iowa. I took ice cream to my Mom and Dad and then made enchiladas for dinner.

Yesterday I put down laminate flooring in 2nd bedroom and installed baseboards and casing, then played a gig in the evening.

Working on the main bathroom today (paint and flooring), then have another gig tonight.

Baked some buttermilk cranberry scones for breakfast this morning. The baby back ribs are just finishing in the oven for dinner. In between I stained some wood dollys for a half dozen large planters to roll on.

Cheers!

Went to the gym to find the place quite busy on this rainy Saturday morning. Afterwards, popped over to my mom's apartment to get her TV working again. She keeps pressing the wrong button on the control so the cable box and TV are not on at the same time; then she starts pressing buttons randomly on the TV to try to fix it. I got that going again, then came home, where DH was making blueberry pancakes for brunch. Got stoked on cakes and coffee and will now shop for medical insurance.

7:00 AM - fed the pooch.

7:15 AM - walked he pooch

8:00 AM - ROMEO group coffee (actually, this is 6 days a week)

9:30 AM - back home, put pork tenderloin roast in the slow cooker.

10:00 AM - took DW out for a late breakfast.

Now ++ - going to watch college football all afternoon. :cool:

Sallied forth to do battle with another battalion of fallen leaves in my yard, accompanied by my trusty teen assistant, Davey. We drove the enemy from the field, but I have a feeling they will return again.

.....Afterwards, popped over to my mom's apartment to get her TV working again. She keeps pressing the wrong button on the control so the cable box and TV are not on at the same time; then she starts pressing buttons randomly on the TV to try to fix it. I got that going again......

You and my DW may have the same mom.

Afterwards, popped over to my mom's apartment to get her TV working again. She keeps pressing the wrong button on the control so the cable box and TV are not on at the same time; then she starts pressing buttons randomly on the TV to try to fix it. I got that going again. . .

You and my DW may have the same mom.

And some how they are related to my dad. Especially the “push any button” method when they get frustrated. I stopped trying to help over the phone. Just about impossible.

I took a trailer load of older lawn equipment to a local fairgrounds for a tractor swap meet. I didn't sell much, and got frustrated before lunchtime at the lack of buyers/browsers...very likely due to a 30* temp, and a wind chill around 20*, and overcast. I came home, made a good lunch of noodle soup, and cheese/crackers, and watched Ohio State demolish Maryland....later watched LSU, and Alabama while wife, and daughter shopped at Costco.

Walked two miles, interspersed with three sets on the chest machine.

Drunken beans (water, chicken broth, Shiner Bock) in the slow cooker; will add some bacon, onion, bell pepper, diced tomatoes, and jalapeño when they’re getting close to done.

Yesterday was a big family gathering in Ashburn, VA. We were once again reminded why we left the D.C. area even though it was only about an hour drive. Those folks have given up on any semblance of controls on development density. Little wonder northern VA is notorious for bad traffic. Finding the address was fun since the address given had two digits transposed, we finally found it by spotting a nephew waving at every car that drove by. One of them happened to be us.

We had fun and enjoyed seeing everyone, but were glad to get back to WV.

Today is simply recovery, not doing much of anything. The weather forecast for a couple of days out has the "s" word in it and I'm thinking of moving the snow blower from the shed to the garage.:(

Afterwards, popped over to my mom's apartment to get her TV working again. She keeps pressing the wrong button on the control so the cable box and TV are not on at the same time; then she starts pressing buttons randomly on the TV to try to fix it.

My dear departed mother-in-law didn't have cable... but she was challenged by the remote anyway...

One visit, she was complaining about some function, I forget what. I picked up the remote and proceeded to change the channel. She went ballistic! Since there were 6-8 OTA channels, that meant she would need to push the channel up button until it came around to the one where she liked to watch the news. When I explained there was also a channel down button, there was a blank look on her face, she didn't get it. Much less the idea you could hit those number buttons and go straight there! :)

That was the point where I fully appreciated why she'd never learned to drive a car...

It is hard to see old people losing their marbles.

My mother told me her land-line phone was dead. She called me on her cell phone. I asked her to unplug the cordless base station, then plug it back in. My own cordless occasionally hiccuped like that, and resetting it that way got it working again. Then, I asked her if she could hear a dial tone. She did not know what the dial tone was. And she used the phone just the previous day. Later that day, when she went to my home for dinner, she picked up my home phone to know what the dial tone was. Anyway, there was a fault with the line connection, and the phone company went out to fix it at their junction box.

My mother told me when she was out and expected to get home late when it was already dark, she would remember to turn the garage ceiling light on, so that it would not be dark when she got back home. I said, then it meant the garage door opener light had burned out, and I would come replace it for her. She had totally forgotten about the automatic light that was built-in to the garage door opener, yet she lived in the same house for 20 years. Well, at least she still remembered to leave the garage ceiling light on when she drove off.

My mother-in-law has COPD, and occasionally would need to use the oxygen concentrator. My wife has to constantly remind her to breathe in via her nose and not her mouth, else the nasal cannula she wore would do her no good. She would forget in about 5 minutes, and would start panting via her mouth for lack of oxygen.

No, the ladies do not have Alzheimer. No one would suspect that. But somehow, their mind is no longer as it was. Will I be like that at 90? I dunno. I may not make it to 90 for it to matter. Being old sucks!

Last edited:
I did pretty much zero today.....but DW set up remote access to her elder sister's & father's computer, (they're about 50 miles away), so now she can access their unit from here and make whatever changes/reconfigurations are desired/required.

Signed up for ACA health insurance. Of course, it costs more than last year for less coverage, but that’s a given. It’s medical bankruptcy insurance...

Snowing here, again. DW and I have been talking about moving to SE Arizona, surely inspired the the end of our too short summers. So lots of recon trips planned. I miss the sun.

Now going for a walk, indoors on the treadmill, while the instapot starts veggie soup for dinner.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom