What did you do today? 2019 version.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Went to a 20-year club event back at the office, and learned that some people I'd worked with for up to 25 years got laid off last month. I couldn't believe some of the names I heard, people who'd been essential to breakthrough projects. Glad I wasn't there to witness the carnage.

Remarkable experience in a small local restaurant at lunch today.
Bill came to $10.85 so I handed the cashier a $20 and a $1. I had already left a $2 tip on the table.
During the next several minutes she handled just about every bill in the register. Frowning, mumbling to herself, taking bills out, counting them, putting them back, finally putting them all in the drawer and closing it.

She walked back to a counter where she spent another 30 seconds scribbling on a pad. Finally returned and asked if I would be willing to take a $10 and 15¢?

I agreed to her proposal. What got me is that she seemed perfectly normal in intelligence when talking to her. Is basic arithmetic a completely lost art?

I subbed middle school math and high school math this week. Yes, basic arithmetic done without a cell phone or calculator is a completely lost art if these kids are any example. It's frightening.

Watched the last 8 seconds of the Pittsburgh Cleveland game. Wow, looked like "professional wrestling" only real. What a stupid, stupid thing to do! If Garrett plays again, it's too soo.

Garrett basically assaulted Rudolph with Rudolph's helmet after he ripped it off his head. Eight seconds left in an couple score game.

Last edited:
Well planned day went it the tracks early. I was at the beach walking my dog when the hubster calls. He'd been t-boned and cops and ambulance were on the way. I got there in time to find out what hospital he was going to then had to stay till the truck could be towed.

He's ok... Super sore, but no major injuries as confirmed by x-ray and CT.

But we are now down to one car for three drivers. (Sold the other truck 2 days ago) So until we get a replacement there will be a lot of negotiating over car use.

Well planned day went it the tracks early. I was at the beach walking my dog when the hubster calls. He'd been t-boned and cops and ambulance were on the way. I got there in time to find out what hospital he was going to then had to stay till the truck could be towed.

He's ok... Super sore, but no major injuries as confirmed by x-ray and CT.

But we are now down to one car for three drivers. (Sold the other truck 2 days ago) So until we get a replacement there will be a lot of negotiating over car use.
Yikes. Glad to hear he's not injured.

Had lunch with #2 son today. He lives about 200 miles away, and I am not flying anymore. We met half way, he drove and I took the train to avoid driving through LA traffic.
We had a nice lunch, then sat down for the financial discussion. I told him I was planning to give him and DIL $$$K so they could buy a house. Tears came to his eyes and he had to walk away for a bit to collect himself.

He has never asked for anything, in fact when they went on their honeymoon cruise, I put $500 on their account. He mailed me a check after they got back because he does not take anything from anyone. I shredded the check and told him it was part of their wedding gift.
Anyhow he wanted to go home and talk it over with DIL. I told him I would sell the securities and keep it in a MM account until they were ready for it. I should hear back Monday.
Both I and DW were so moved by his reaction.

Had lunch with #2 son today. He lives about 200 miles away, and I am not flying anymore. We met half way, he drove and I took the train to avoid driving through LA traffic.
We had a nice lunch, then sat down for the financial discussion. I told him I was planning to give him and DIL $$$K so they could buy a house. Tears came to his eyes and he had to walk away for a bit to collect himself.

He has never asked for anything, in fact when they went on their honeymoon cruise, I put $500 on their account. He mailed me a check after they got back because he does not take anything from anyone. I shredded the check and told him it was part of their wedding gift.
Anyhow he wanted to go home and talk it over with DIL. I told him I would sell the securities and keep it in a MM account until they were ready for it. I should hear back Monday.
Both I and DW were so moved by his reaction.

Nice gesture. It's good to pass assets to deserving children when they could use it. I did the same for my only daughter when she needed a place to live and it couldn't have worked out better.

Your not flying anymore? :confused:

Had lunch with #2 son today. He lives about miles away, and I am not flying anymore. We met half way, he drove and I took the train to avoid driving through LA traffic.

It is so nice to give our children money and see the appreciation .

Your not flying anymore? :confused:
No, my copilot has Parkinson's and his doctor grounded him. DW does not want me flying alone as at my age (81) as you can never know what can happen.
I am OK with it. I flew 110 missions for Angel Flight, and I have been flying since 1972.
I have one more flight planned, however. Next year when we are in Hawaii I will be flying a WW2 T-6 over Pearl Harbor and Waikiki.:D.

Got a new cable Gateway. Installed it roughly in the middle of the house - lots of rewiring. Hooked up remaining devices to vpn. Fired up security cameras on new gateway/ network and encountered some problems.

So I went running outside for the first time in a long time. Temp is a balmy 43°. Waiting for the Bears game.

Getting mentally prepared for my hip replacement surgery tomorrow. The hospital wants me there by 6:00 AM. Packed a small carry bag, got the shower prep in place, etc.

DD is taking me. The hospital is 45 miles from here so we are leaving "real early".:(

Getting mentally prepared for my hip replacement surgery tomorrow. The hospital wants me there by 6:00 AM. Packed a small carry bag, got the shower prep in place, etc.

DD is taking me. The hospital is 45 miles from here so we are leaving "real early".:(

Good luck!!! We'll be thinking of you and hoping for the best. Looking forward to your first posts after you have awakened from anesthesia and have eventually gotten in a condition to post.

Good luck!!! We'll be thinking of you and hoping for the best. Looking forward to your first posts after you have awakened from anesthesia and have eventually gotten in a condition to post.

Thanks, I'll post as soon as I can think straight. I'm bringing my Chromebook since that's my main internet device. I can't do much with a phone and the small screen. Plans are to check out sometime Tuesday and get a ride home.

For those on Medicare, the hospital rep told us in our pre-op class that starting next year, Medicare will cover total knee and hip replacements as an "outpatient procedure". Imagine that, going home the same day!

Best wishes for a great surgery and quick, pain free recovery!

Coffee shop run, shoot breeze with the usual suspects.
Washed windows. Removed too much stuffing from a pillow then re sewn the seam. Tried to figure out what the shredded cooton like substance was. Feel like some plastic coated cotton. No luck in positive ID. Do clothes washing.

... For those on Medicare, the hospital rep told us in our pre-op class that starting next year, Medicare will cover total knee and hip replacements as an "outpatient procedure". Imagine that, going home the same day!

Wow! Perhaps the patients are expected to drive themselves home too? :)

Coming soon - YouTube videos on 'Self Operating in the privacy of your own home', with a checklist of required equipment, antibiotics, sedatives, etc.

Coming soon - YouTube videos on 'Self Operating in the privacy of your own home', with a checklist of required equipment, antibiotics, sedatives, etc.

That's too much.

How do they expect the patient to have a steady hand while being sedated? But a spouse or a friend may be able to lend a hand.

For those on Medicare, the hospital rep told us in our pre-op class that starting next year, Medicare will cover total knee and hip replacements as an "outpatient procedure". Imagine that, going home the same day!

If the operation was as successful as they claim it should be the patient will be able to walk home.:)

Held the ladder and worried while DS cleaned my gutters this AM. Dropped the mower deck off the tractor and put it away for the Winter - won't need it again until the Spring. Enjoyed an incredible sunset. Heading off to dinner with the neighbors. Have not even thought about the NFL or scores all day - glad to have let that Sunday habit fall by the wayside.

Hope everything goes great and you are ready to go home !

That's too much.

How do they expect the patient to have a steady hand while being sedated? But a spouse or a friend may be able to lend a hand.

No need to supply your own help. Just install the CUTBUDDY app on your phone, and summon a nearby "surgeon" to come to your home and remove your appendix quickly and easily.

All CUTBUDDY operators are guaranteed to have at least a high school education and the proven ability to follow simple instructions.

Upon receiving your request, we automatically download the full list price for the required operation at all local hospitals, and only bill your account for 25% of the average amount. How could you possibly go wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom