What did you do today? 2019 version.

Status
Not open for further replies.
My appointment went well! The surgeon took x-rays and said everything looks fine. He told me to come back for another appointment next August, the one year anniversary of my surgery. I think that means that I am essentially done until the time if/when I want to schedule surgery on the other knee.

After that, Frank and I went out to lunch together.

Great! So good that your knee is all good!

I dread that operation as I have my right knee hurting due to osteoarthritis, but no bone on bone (yet).

Great! So good that your knee is all good!

I dread that operation as I have my right knee hurting due to osteoarthritis, but no bone on bone (yet).
There are lots of other options before considering surgery, like shots, pills, cane or walker, and so on. In fact, Medicare requires the surgeon to try some of them first to see if anything else will help, since they are cheaper than surgery. Apparently some of them work for some people. :D Just not for me.

I have never had a hip replacement, or any other substantial surgery really. To me, recovery from the knee replacement seemed quite difficult especially for the first few weeks. Luckily, time passes quickly at our age so it wasn't all that bad.

I hope your pain from walking too far yesterday, is better by now. :(

I think I set myself back a few days. I have a burning sensation on the outer part of my thigh when I walk now. It's probably a overworked muscle. I'm taking it easy for the next few days.

I went to see the Helen Mirren/Ian McKellan movie "The Good Liar."

It was one of the best movies (if not the best one) I've seen in years.

I knew nothing of the book or the story before seeing the movie, which increased my enjoyment of it. It was very well done.

Thank you! You had me at Helen Mirren--found the movie not far from us, will tell Dh when he gets home from the gym that we are going this afternoon.

Love this Helen Mirren story: https://www.vogue.com/article/helen-mirren-took-photo-of-jason-momoa
...she once saw Aquaman star Jason Momoa on a plane—and secretly photographed him.

“I was with my husband [Taylor Hackford], but my heart just went, ‘Oh, my God, that is just the most beautiful man I have ever seen in my life,’” Mirren confessed

I went to see the Helen Mirren/Ian McKellan movie "The Good Liar."

It was one of the best movies (if not the best one) I've seen in years.

I knew nothing of the book or the story before seeing the movie, which increased my enjoyment of it. It was very well done.

We just saw that film as well, and also enjoyed it.

I think I set myself back a few days. I have a burning sensation on the outer part of my thigh when I walk now. It's probably a overworked muscle. I'm taking it easy for the next few days.

Very wise. Hopefully you'll be feeling much better in a day or two. :) I had a similar overdoing problem during recovery, and it's amazing to me how fast one can recover with rest and icing. And you have the same terrific icing machine that I have so that may help.

I am walking on Cloud Nine today, after that great appointment with the orthopedic surgeon. Not only that, but it's already 73F outside, shorts and sandals weather! I love our warm climate (except in August and September, when it goes from warm to insanely hot).

To me, recovery from the knee replacement seemed quite difficult especially for the first few weeks. Luckily, time passes quickly at our age so it wasn't all that bad.

I'm glad you're doing better. The human body is incredible.

One disagreement -> Recovery from knee replacement does not 'seem' quite difficult. It IS quite difficult. Those cream-puffs who get hip surgery and shoulder surgery are a bunch of pansies compared to us. :D

One disagreement -> Recovery from knee replacement does not 'seem' quite difficult. It IS quite difficult. Those cream-puffs who get hip surgery and shoulder surgery are a bunch of pansies compared to us. :D

I'll have to agree about being a cream puff :blush: and for anyone (surgeons or otherwise) attempting to replace my good (or future bad) knees, I will have to be hog tied and dragged in kicking and screaming to have that happen! :LOL:

On a note about today, DW and I went out for breakfast today and she drove. It's been a very long time since I rode and she drove. Let me just say that her "driving style" had me pressing the passenger floorboard pretty hard when she was supposed to be on the brakes.:eek:

Ugh--woke up with vertigo (BPPV) . Haven't had that in years. DH helped me with epley maneuver, which helped, now I just can not look down all day or it comes back. May need to do it again this afternoon.
currently sitting in my desk chair as low as it will go and the laptop is on a high counter, not the best for my shoulders, but allows me to participate here! :)

I'm glad you're doing better. The human body is incredible.

Thank you! It sure was difficult for me, but like for everything else, the memories of the bad parts become less intense as time goes by. I do know that it was difficult enough, that I don't want to have the other knee done right now. Maybe in the springtime.

I'll have to agree about being a cream puff :blush: and for anyone (surgeons or otherwise) attempting to replace my good (or future bad) knees, I will have to be hog tied and dragged in kicking and screaming to have that happen! :LOL:

On a note about today, DW and I went out for breakfast today and she drove. It's been a very long time since I rode and she drove. Let me just say that her "driving style" had me pressing the passenger floorboard pretty hard when she was supposed to be on the brakes.:eek:

Eek! :LOL: When I couldn't drive after surgery, F drove me so I know what you mean. He's a safe driver, but the other drivers are so reckless and he was driving my car!! I couldn't get into his for several weeks because his passenger seat would not slide back (due to broken positioning controls), and my knee wouldn't bend far enough to get in normally.

Got up at 5AM to more fresh snow. I had to go to the eye doctor for my 1 week post surgery appointment in Durango. A sixty mile drive with fresh snow. They don't plow when the suns down so it wasn't great when I took off. Dark out, snow covered roads, and a mountainous drive. Halfway there the suns up, plows are out and "traffic" starts. Made it there on time and safe, that's all that matters.

Doc was happy with my eye, it's got a gas bubble in it, red, sore, and I can't see very well.[emoji22] If I look around the gas bubble I can see but it's like looking through crinkly cellophane or something. Doc says that's normal and will go away over weeks/months. Best short term news is I don't have to position my head during the day and night. I can do anything except lay flat on my back until the bubble goes away. I just had a realization that when the doctor first talked about the bubble I said I had no idea what she was talking about. Her response was "oh you will". Yeah, damn bubble.

Last edited:
Got up at 5AM to more fresh snow. I had to go to the eye doctor for my 1 week post surgery appointment in Durango. A sixty mile drive with fresh snow. They don't plow when the suns down so it wasn't great when I took off. Dark out, snow covered roads, and a mountainous drive. Halfway there the suns up, plows are out and "traffic" starts. Made it there on time and safe, that's all that matters.

Doc was happy with my eye, it's got a gas bubble in it, red, sore, and I can't see very well.[emoji22] If I look around the gas bubble I can see but it's like looking through crinkly cellophane or something. Doc says that's normal and will go away over weeks/months. Best short term news is I don't have to position my head during the day and night. I can do anything except lay flat on my back until the bubble goes away. I just had a realization that when the doctor first talked about the bubble I said I had no idea what she was talking about. Her response was "oh you will". Yeah, damn bubble.
Glad your 1 week post surgery appointment went so well, and that the surgeon was happy with your eye! Wishing you the easiest possible recovery and good vision in the future.

Oh, I went through that, too. My first week or so the front of my thigh was so sore! But I got past it by about the third week.

My hip was done Sept 18th so I'm at 10 weeks as of tomorrow. This recovery was slower than last time, 5 years ago. I expected to bounce back like Al Roker and I tried not to be disappointed that it wasn't happening like that. But it's not a competition, it's a process. As one of my physical therapists pointed out, I'm now 5 years OLDER! As long as I was seeing progress, I could stay positive.

So as of today, I'm happy to announce that I am CANE FREE!!!!!! The last week or so around the house I would take it with me and just hold it (kind of like a security blanket) just in case I needed it. I still took it to my School Crossing Guard job because there is uneven pavement, curbs and traffic out there and I wanted to feel safe. Today I left it in the car. I'm DONE.

I'm so used to holding it that I feel like I forgot something. It's so nice to be able to use both hands to hold things. And my gait is much better than it's been in years, but I'm still not perfect. I limped for a long time and was quite uneven. I'm so much better now and essentially pain free.

aja8888, I hope you heal and recover well.

I hope you enjoy it!

And that story illustrates that Helen Mirren is a very wise woman! :D

Just got home from The Good Liar-soooo good! Thanks again for mentioning it because for whatever reason it just wasn’t on my radar.

We saw Ford vs Ferrari last week and that Christian Bale guy just gets better and better.

Oh, I went through that, too. My first week or so the front of my thigh was so sore! But I got past it by about the third week.

My hip was done Sept 18th so I'm at 10 weeks as of tomorrow. This recovery was slower than last time, 5 years ago. I expected to bounce back like Al Roker and I tried not to be disappointed that it wasn't happening like that. But it's not a competition, it's a process. As one of my physical therapists pointed out, I'm now 5 years OLDER! As long as I was seeing progress, I could stay positive.

So as of today, I'm happy to announce that I am CANE FREE!!!!!! The last week or so around the house I would take it with me and just hold it (kind of like a security blanket) just in case I needed it. I still took it to my School Crossing Guard job because there is uneven pavement, curbs and traffic out there and I wanted to feel safe. Today I left it in the car. I'm DONE.

I'm so used to holding it that I feel like I forgot something. It's so nice to be able to use both hands to hold things. And my gait is much better than it's been in years, but I'm still not perfect. I limped for a long time and was quite uneven. I'm so much better now and essentially pain free.

aja8888, I hope you heal and recover well.

Thanks Sue, and I am glad to hear of your progress and now pain free. I'm 11 years older than when the first hip was replaced. I guess at 76, I should be getting tired and understand how much slower the healing process is now.

Nice to hear the positive progress, MRG. Hopefully, the vision gets back to normal soon. :cool:

Took mom grocery shopping and to the Dollar Store, which is unfortunately in the same little strip mall as Trader Joe's with a tiny parking lot and compact-sized parking stalls on one of the busiest roads in town. Had to circle the lot three times to get a spot. Then we went for lunch at the restaurant mom and dad founded in '53 and sold in 2011. The owner lets her eat for free. He gave us a couple free meals back when he first took over, but we weren't comfortable with that and insisted on paying. We're frugal but not freeloaders!

Just got home from The Good Liar-soooo good! Thanks again for mentioning it because for whatever reason it just wasn’t on my radar.

We saw Ford vs Ferrari last week and that Christian Bale guy just gets better and better.

You're very welcome. I'm glad you enjoyed it! I only knew about it because I happened to see Mirren and McKellan on one of the late night shows a couple of weeks ago.

Ford vs. Farrari looks good, but I suspect it will be streaming before I get around to seeing it.

We are entertaining my daughter.son-in -law and two grandsons for a week . So much fun but so tiring . They leave Friday so I will be reading in my recliner with leftovers .

Got all the wine for tomorrow and started cleaning the house and preparing for guests. I took a break to read the New York Times and felt moved to comment on some silly woman's story about why she can't possibly wear the puffer coat she bought from Amazon last year because now everyone else is wearing it. My comment became a "NYT Pick," my first ever.

Last edited:
DH cleaned the house, I got the turkey carved, sweet potatoes baked, next on to the dressing and mashed potatoes. I want most everything done and just need to pop in the oven to reheat so I can enjoy the Grandbabies tomorrow!

Day 10 after total hip replacement:

Improvements! :)

1. Still sleeping in the recliner. I'm actually getting to like this! I never was one for a "nap" so I never spent much time in this chair. Last night got 7 hours sleep in it with a "break" at 3:00 AM.

2. Pain levels are pretty much a thing of the past, except slight soreness when walking.

3. Walked the dog at 8:00 AM (with my walker, of course) to the end of the street and back (1/4 mile). He did his "job". ;) Now he thinks I am ready for 5 walks a day (LOL)!

4. DW is clearly getting tired of waiting on me hand and foot. I am getting tired of her being around me too.:blush: So I am going to do more on my own (get coffee, pills, get water, etc).

5. Showering is getting easier and as long as I don't get the incision bandage wet, I can take a decent shower. Great. :dance:

I think I am over the "hump" and in another week will be allowed to drive (after Dr. release).

aja--glad you are continuing to improve at a good rate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom