What did you do today? 2019 version.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Day 4 after new hip replacement surgery.

I'm swearing off the pain pills (hydrocodone) as they have kept me constipated and "fuzzy" feeling. I think I took ten. I'll stick with Tylenol going forward.

Last night I took a pain pill at 11:00 PM after the Texans game and fell asleep shortly thereafter. I woke at 4:30 AM and didn't know where I was, but soon figured it out. So I stayed in the recliner for a while and then fed the dog at 6:00 AM instead of his highness's usual 7:00 AM schedule. He was happy.

The hip area muscle swelling is still there, but getting better. And I am walking a bit more each day. All in all, I am liking getting waited on hand and foot, but I know this is coming to an end soon. :blush:

Had several friends stop over to visit me. They are friends from my ROMEO group who are a pretty active bunch. All Is good with the wound and a shower is in the cards for tonight.

Finally got my secondary router / computer network running. Now I get WiFi outside and in my workshop. And hooked up the new Wyze cameras to the new network. Then made a picture frame.

Today was a winter wonderland day. 6 inches of powder snow overnight and this morning. Absolutely no wind. Even the twigs on the aspens had a couple inches of snow on them. The pines were covered so the entire forest was white. The sun came out in the late afternoon and everything sparkled. My son has been up in Denver the last few days so the solitude and beauty have been wonderful. I didn't get as much done on wireing the house as I should have, but still a great day. I am now sitting in front of the fire watching the last of a nice sunset and enjoying my favorite drink (Angry Balls). :)

Day 4 after new hip replacement surgery.

I'm swearing off the pain pills (hydrocodone) as they have kept me constipated and "fuzzy" feeling. I think I took ten. I'll stick with Tylenol going forward.

Last night I took a pain pill at 11:00 PM after the Texans game and fell asleep shortly thereafter. I woke at 4:30 AM and didn't know where I was, but soon figured it out. So I stayed in the recliner for a while and then fed the dog at 6:00 AM instead of his highness's usual 7:00 AM schedule. He was happy.

The hip area muscle swelling is still there, but getting better. And I am walking a bit more each day. All in all, I am liking getting waited on hand and foot, but I know this is coming to an end soon. :blush:

Had several friends stop over to visit me. They are friends from my ROMEO group who are a pretty active bunch. All Is good with the wound and a shower is in the cards for tonight.

Terrific!! Getting off pain pills (comfortably) is a big step towards complete recovery, IMO. And good idea to start taking Tylenol instead. I didn't figure that out for a while after I ditched hydrocodone, and had a hard time sleeping.

More purging and organizing of cupboards trying to cram 2 households into one. Progress is being made but still a ways to go. Happily everything I've put by the road so far has been taken.

Yesterday we awoke to a few inches of fresh wet snow. Looked good for a while. We went to our favorite Mexican restaurant and brought home some leftover carnitas, yum. After lunch we went to get some groceries and I found the "Tamale Girl" outside. Six delicious homemade pork tamales came home too.

Good thing cause I don't have much patience to cook. Monday was my retnia surgery and it still stinks. The pain and eye pressure are getting somewhat better, but I still can't see. They filled my eyeball with a gas bubble and I'm starting to see it disappear. Above the line it may have a little clearer vision, below it's just a blur. I know light is coming in but there's no real usability right now. I'm tired of trying to keep one eye closed to function. I get absolutely wired about 4AM trying to lay on my left side. Hopefully next week I can stop positioning my head.[emoji849]

Yesterday we awoke to a few inches of fresh wet snow. Looked good for a while. We went to our favorite Mexican restaurant and brought home some leftover carnitas, yum. After lunch we went to get some groceries and I found the "Tamale Girl" outside. Six delicious homemade pork tamales came home too.

Good thing cause I don't have much patience to cook. Monday was my retnia surgery and it still stinks. The pain and eye pressure are getting somewhat better, but I still can't see. They filled my eyeball with a gas bubble and I'm starting to see it disappear. Above the line it may have a little clearer vision, below it's just a blur. I know light is coming in but there's no real usability right now. I'm tired of trying to keep one eye closed to function. I get absolutely wired about 4AM trying to lay on my left side. Hopefully next week I can stop positioning my head.[emoji849]

Hang in there, MRG! It looks like you and I are the casualties for this week..me being 5 days into a hip replacement and you with the operated on eye. :D

Note: I am still 50% sleeping in a almost sitting position in a recliner. The other 50% is on my bed on my back, and I am a side sleeper.

“Lightscape” debuted at the Chicago Botanic Garden last night and DW and I were there. A mile long path through the garden was illuminated with mostly holiday themed designs. Just wonderful.

Apparently it was done by Creative Culture, a design group from the UK who will tour the US next year. Truly something not to be missed if they are in your area.

Day 5 after hip replacement surgery

Day 5 after hip replacement surgery:

Last night's sleep was between the bed (2 hours) and the recliner (4 hours). I think at least most of this time was actually asleep as I don't feel too bad today.

The swelling is still evident, but decreasing with the aid of the ice machine. That thing has been a Godsend. :cool:

I took a complete shower today (yes!!) and feel myself again (except for the pain in the leg). But the pain is decreasing and I am off pain pills.

It's getting easier to get out of the recliner myself and walk around the house. I would guess that maybe tomorrow afternoon I will take a short walk outdoors and up the street. I'll still need the walker to minimize falling which is not recommended at this time.

I have an appointment with the surgeon on 12/2 to give me the go ahead for driving. Plus, they will take off the incision bandage, which ought to be a blast.

I'm spending too much time on this forum as witnessed by the post frequency. LOL

Last edited:
Picked up the last of the leaves and cut the grass for the the last time (hopefully). Still working on making enough room in the garage for the vehicles - this has been a multi-day project.

I subbed middle school math and high school math this week. Yes, basic arithmetic done without a cell phone or calculator is a completely lost art if these kids are any example. It's frightening.

Not really new about 45 years ago (before Mcdonalds introducted their computers) I would go to Mcdonalds in Pasadena, Ca and always have the total only bear a slight resemblance to the true value. Generally I objected to overcharges and any undercharges over about $ 1.00. So it is not really new that folks can't do it well. For change the old way of counting the total down as seen at grocery stores is a lost art ( for example say you are owed 7.76 in change start with a 5 making 2.76, then 2 ones, then 3 quarters leaving .01 and then a penny making zero, being handed the change when it is counted out, of course for a while there where the machines that gave the coins and the cashier only had to do the paper money, but with the amount of credit cards now used they have gone the way of the dodo.)

For change the old way of counting the total down as seen at grocery stores is a lost art ( for example say you are owed 7.76 in change start with a 5 making 2.76, then 2 ones, then 3 quarters leaving .01 and then a penny making zero, being handed the change when it is counted out, of course for a while there where the machines that gave the coins and the cashier only had to do the paper money, but with the amount of credit cards now used they have gone the way of the dodo.)

I was taught to count up. For example, the total is $7.76 and a $20 is given. Count up 4 cents to 7.80, 20 cents to $8.00, $2 to $10, then $10 more to $20.

Hang in there, MRG! It looks like you and I are the casualties for this week..me being 5 days into a hip replacement and you with the operated on eye. :D

Note: I am still 50% sleeping in a almost sitting position in a recliner. The other 50% is on my bed on my back, and I am a side sleeper.
Thanks aja. I get frustrated when I'm not getting well as fast as I'd like. I just have to realize I'm a little better each day.

I was taught to count up. For example, the total is $7.76 and a $20 is given. Count up 4 cents to 7.80, 20 cents to $8.00, $2 to $10, then $10 more to $20.

That's how I learned it as a 16 year old cashier at McDonald's.

“Lightscape” debuted at the Chicago Botanic Garden last night and DW and I were there. A mile long path through the garden was illuminated with mostly holiday themed designs. Just wonderful.

We have something similar at the Cincinnati Zoo, called the Festival of Lights. We love to visit every year.

CZ.jpg

I never was a cashier, so after your comment I recall it was count up, no math at all required. Count down would work with a register that told you the change,

Same here when cashiering at my folks' restaurant back in the '70s. I remember one old guy watched me count back his change, and when I finished he looked up at me and said, "Well, at least you can count. Most kids can't ya know." Now I guess that old guy is us!! :LOL:

Day 6 after hip replacement surgery:

Last night I fell asleep in the recliner at 11:00 PM. I didn't move an inch until I heard the dog bark at 7:15 AM. Never have I slept that long on my back with no bathroom break. I must have been wiped out. :blush:

Spent the day walking around the house with the walker and took a shower in the late afternoon. Then I ventured outside for a walk with the next door neighbor. We walked about 1/3 of a mile based on my Fitbit. It felt good to get out in the cool Fall weather! I'm clearly getting stronger and need to continue my walking efforts going farther each day.

Tomorrow, I plan to have a friend pick me up in the AM to go to Burger King to meet my ROMEO friends. That will give DW a deserved break.

I can't drive yet and won't be allowed to until my Dr appointment 12/2.

Arthritic hip pain is long gone...that's why we did this surgery!

Tomorrow, I plan to have a friend pick me up in the AM to go to Burger King to meet my ROMEO friends. That will give DW a deserved break.

How thoughtful! People talk about the importance of a good bedside manner for caregivers, but patients are wise to mind their manners too. Glad your recovery is going so well!

I never was a cashier, so after your comment I recall it was count up, no math at all required. Count down would work with a register that told you the change,

Back in college I learned to count change back to the customer out loud to avoid any confusion or flim-flam. I get amused when cashiers these days can only count out what the computer tells them to. Recently on a purchase of $2.10 I found a dime in my pocket after the cashier keyed in my payment of $5.00, and handed it to them. They had absolutely no clue as to why I did that and tried to hand it back. I explained that they would now owe me $3.00 even and I would avoid a pocketful of change. Confused, they counted out the change the machine said they owed me and added the dime to it.

Next time I might use a $2.00 bill and see what happens. :D

When I took the patch from my eye this morning I noticed a difference. The pain was much better, not gone, but the first big improvement over night. I'm seeing more of the bubble, good news, bads news. It's interfering with the vision in my eye so I'm having to exist with one eye closed. Good news is I have more vision above the bubble! Not perfect but it's more than just light. Maybe they fixed me!

Picked up some groceries and put gas in DW'S Wrangler. Tomorrow I'll get propane and some more groceries. I have to go to the eye surgeon on Tuesday morning and the forecast says it's going to be snowing. It's not great drive in the snow. Oh well. Then the forecast says snow restarts Wednesday till next weekend. [emoji23]

Last edited:
I completed the job of moving our security lights to our shed in back of the driveway. They were originally by the side porch. When DW was grilling, they would not stay on.
I replaced then with a single flood shining on the BBQ. I wired up the security lights using a hex box and #14 BX, which I ran to an existing 4 inch box. I replaced the single switch with a double switch, one to connect the interior shed lights and one to control the security lights.
I hate to think what an electrician would cost.

A few hours of navel gazing.

A few hours of navel gazing.

That's pretty good. I managed only 25 minutes this morning.

Attacked the moss in the driveway with a bleach solution, as recommended by one website. Doesn't seem to be turning the moss yellow as described, but I'll wait and see what it looks like tomorrow.

Figured out how much more I could add to my HSA for the year and made the transfer to get the maximum $8000 into it. No more HSA next year, as we'll be on a non-HSA ACA plan next year. It'll be much cheaper than Cobra though!

Stopped in the bulk food section of the local WinCo grocery store and saw that they had dried pigs' ears. Then I saw the price - $20 a pound. Wow, it would be cheaper to feed my dog prime rib as a treat. They sure musta loved those pigs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom