What did you do today? - 2021 version

Status
Not open for further replies.
You are very welcome, W2R.

That Samsung phone is one of the best budget phones (the kind I buy :) ) on the market.

Yep, DW and I have saved a bunch since switching to Cricket in 2015 and their plans are still very competitive. DD#2 and her two kids joined our plan and we are each paying $25/mo for unlimited talk, text and data. That's overkill for DW and I but a necessity for the two grandkids!
REWahoo, you have been a terrific resource for all of us here, not just in cell phones but also on so many investing and finance matters. And yet I forgot to thank you - - thanks!! Frank is thinking of switching to Cricket too. I am SO GLAD to read that you like that Samsung phone. There are so many choices in phones and so many ways to mess up when deciding on one of them. I was so overwhelmed, and it really did take the entire day for me to decide on one! Even then I wasn't sure if I messed up or not.
Hah, it so happened that we also bought 2 Samsung A32 5G phones last week at Costco.
Aha!!! Another endorsement of this phone from another forum member whose judgment on such matters is also extremely good. Whew! Thank you! What a relief. I have a lot more confidence in my choice with two such great responses. :)

NW-Bound, very interesting and thanks for sharing that.

I see where that baking soda sprinkled on ground and working it in can kill fungus in soil. It says it kills it instantly when mixed in and watered.

I will need to look into that. Can you provide a reference?

There are different types of fungi, and some that live on the parts of the plants above ground can be killed by different fungicides, many commonly available and not expensive. I did quite a bit of research, and have not seen baking soda being described as a treatment for this type of fungus. It grows inside the plant, starting from the root, and is not observed on the plant exterior.

Fusarium oxysporum fungus lives deep in the soil and is difficult to control. There are 100s of different strains. One biofungicide that is said to be very effective is a bacteria called Streptomyces griseoviridis Strain K61. It protects the plants, and kills the fusarium fungus while being totally harmless to plants and animals.

The only problem is cost. A small envelope of 5 grams costs $36. It is stirred in water to make 50 gallons that you use to drench the soil. I will have to pay for it, if my soil sun-baking method does not work.

By the way, I measured the soil temperature inside my solarization box today. It reached higher than 150F. That is way higher than the temperature reported by any research paper done on farmlands. This can be expected, because the soil in my solar box is spread to only 2" thick.

I will bake each batch for 2 days to be safe.

Last edited:
... Frank is thinking of switching to Cricket too...

I read that Cricket was bought out by AT&T, and its service was provided by AT&T network.

Cricket subscription has the same coverage as AT&T subscription, so why is Cricket cheaper? It was because when there's heavy traffic, Cricket users will be throttled back, in deference to higher-paying subscribers. However, if coverage is good in your area, then you are not missing anything.

I found the potential throttle-back to be true with my T-Mobile plan. T-Mobile network is not as extensive as Verizon's. Outside of metropolitan areas, T-Mobile has to rely on coverage provided by rural partners. And these roaming networks often throttle back their guests, in order to serve their local users first.

I observe the above all the time when up in my high-country 2nd home. I can only get Internet access at night, when the traffic is light. During the day, I often could not even make a voice call. Will see if the new phone with more frequency bands will open up access for me now, the next time I go up to my 2nd home.

Ah, I found something about the use of baking soda to control fungus in the soil (not to be confused with a foliar spray to control visible fungus).

Baking soda does not kill the fungus, but raises the soil pH, making it more alkaline to be outside the optimal range for fungus growth.

Fusarium oxysporum (Fo) is an important pathogen that reduces soybean yield by causing seedling disease and root rot. ... Gaussian regression analysis estimates for optimal conditions were pH 6.3 at 27.1°C for maximal fungal growth and pH 5.9 at 30°C for maximal root rot severity.

The neutral pH is 7, so it is obvious that fusarium fungus likes acidic soil.

Soil in arid regions such as the SW tends to be alkaline and not acidic. However, I don't know the pH of the bagged potting soil that I use, but it is likely to be more neutral.

Another problem is that many plants like acidic soil. For example, snow peas like soil pH in the range of 5.8-6.8, which fusarium also likes. You don't win!

Last edited:
W2R how did you get your phone a hundred dollars cheaper then NW B?

The phone you mentioned will be the one we buy to replace my DH's lower end Samsung when it dies.

You will be happy with this phone it's a lot of bang for the buck..

I read that Cricket was bought out by AT&T, and its service was provided by AT&T network.

Cricket subscription has the same coverage as AT&T subscription, so why is Cricket cheaper? It was because when there's heavy traffic, Cricket users will be throttled back, in deference to higher-paying subscribers. However, if coverage is good in your area, then you are not missing anything.
Yes, Cricket has been relying mainly upon the AT&T network since some unknown time before I switched over to them, back in late 2016. In fact that was a main "selling point" for me because AT&T has such an extensive geographic coverage.

My service from Cricket does not ever seem to suffer from being throttled back. In fact, Cricket has never once dropped a call (unlike Verizon); I especially like the higher sound quality on Cricket, which makes it much easier for me to understand what the other person is saying.

Yes, Cricket has been relying mainly upon the AT&T network since some unknown time before I switched over to them, back in late 2016. In fact that was a main "selling point" for me because AT&T has such an extensive geographic coverage.

My service from Cricket does not ever seem to suffer from being throttled back. In fact, Cricket has never once dropped a call (unlike Verizon); I especially like the higher sound quality on Cricket, which makes it much easier for me to understand what the other person is saying.

Used Cricket since 2016. Love it, and most of my family has also switched at my recommendation. Sure saves money and coverage doesn’t seem any worse to me.

It doesn’t have any international coverage. So going to Europe with Cricket isn’t good, although the phone still works on WiFi.

W2R how did you get your phone a hundred dollars cheaper then NW B?

Cricket gives their ongoing customers that price. Their website says the original price was $279.99. Had I been a new customer porting my number over to Cricket, it would have cost me $99.99. Here's the webpage where I'm getting those other prices:

https://www.cricketwireless.com/cell-phones/smartphones/samsung-galaxy-A32-amazing-white.html

The phone you mentioned will be the one we buy to replace my DH's lower end Samsung when it dies.

You will be happy with this phone it's a lot of bang for the buck..

Oh wow, that's terrific! A third good review from yet another of our very savvy forum members! I'm so glad and I feel much more secure having read these posts. I thought maybe I was paying too much or buying a phone with some well known flaw or other, but apparently not.

It doesn’t have any international coverage. So going to Europe with Cricket isn’t good, although the phone still works on WiFi.

Thanks. I have no desire to ever travel to Europe again, so I'm OK with that and did not even look for international capabilities. :D

Prior to T-Mobile, we had AT&T. Both have poor coverage at my high-country boondocks home. I have never had Verizon, but keep hearing their network is the best, particularly outside metropolitan areas.

In a trip to Europe in 2017 when I still had AT&T, had to pay extra to have some limited roaming privilege. It ended up costing me an extra $140 for 6 weeks of travel, while our traveling companions had better coverage and data access for free with T-Mobile. That was when I swore I would switch to T-Mobile, and I later did.

PS. I prefer not to buy a SIM card overseas, because I want to keep my US phone number in case someone needs to contact me for an emergency.

Ah, I found something about the use of baking soda to control fungus in the soil (not to be confused with a foliar spray to control visible fungus).

Baking soda does not kill the fungus, but raises the soil pH, making it more alkaline to be outside the optimal range for fungus growth.

The neutral pH is 7, so it is obvious that fusarium fungus likes acidic soil.

Soil in arid regions such as the SW tends to be alkaline and not acidic. However, I don't know the pH of the bagged potting soil that I use, but it is likely to be more neutral.

Another problem is that many plants like acidic soil. For example, snow peas like soil pH in the range of 5.8-6.8, which fusarium also likes. You don't win!
Well, you got to finding it before me. I have heard it works well, but not sure if it would in your case. I see you have done the leg work and found that the application may not fit your needs in this case.
I hope your methods work well.

Having put it off for as long as decently possible in this heat I finally mowed the front half of the yard this morning, starting at 9:00 AM and finishing about an hour later. About died in the heat/humidity even with taking two "cool-down breaks". I'll probably do the other half tomorrow morning.

Since DW told me that one of the grandnephews (7 years old now) may be visiting next week I confirmed that I have a trainer airplane and buddy box system ready to go. Seven is pushing it on the age for being able to fly an R/C airplane without undue frustration but we'll see. The self-stabilizing gyros that some of these airplanes have in them make it a lot easier when starting.

Met friends in Boston for dinner, then went to Fenway Park for the Sox/Twins game. For the first time in 33 years, it was so hot at a Fenway game that we bailed after trying to find a shred of breeze/comfort on an upper deck, and went to a bar/restaurant to watch the rest of it. Was 90 degrees at 8:30pm, and 54% humidity. Good game though, Sox won 12-2.

I have been completing my usual hurricane preparations, as has been recommended by our Parish (=County). We went to the grocery store and were pleased to see that while food items were a little sparse on the shelves, we didn't see the completely bare shelves that we often see before hurricanes. Also, there were only 3-4 people ahead of me in line at the check-out. Much easier than we expected.

Then came home and did the world's largest mountain of laundry. Actually it's still in the dryer. It's always good to have everything clean if/when there is a power outage. I know, this may seem like a lot of fuss and bother over what could end up being nothing, but hey, the worst that could happen is that I won't have to grocery shop or do laundry for a few weeks.

Somehow in the middle of all this, UPS brought me my new Samsung Galaxy A32 5G cell phone. So, I set it up, installed the SIM card, and activated it. It's so cool, and lots easier to figure out than I anticipated. It is very pretty and it works flawlessly. Kind of fun to have a new "toy". :dance:

Visited my boat today, dropped off the dock lines and the oil. Now getting serviced, carb kits and lower unit service, steering repair and whatever. Water test next week and whatever needs to be fixed after that and it'll be ready to park at the marina.

Take me to the river, dip me in the water...

Visited my boat today, dropped off the dock lines and the oil. Now getting serviced, carb kits and lower unit service, steering repair and whatever. Water test next week and whatever needs to be fixed after that and it'll be ready to park at the marina.
Sounds like fun! I love that you BTD on that beautiful boat. :D

Take me to the river, dip me in the water...

I had a long discussion with my neighbor early in the morning over coffee (he is vaccinated). He is worried about his 48 year old daughter and single mother not being able to make it on her own. He wanted advice on how to cut the cord without driving her into poverty. I didn't want to get in the middle of their family issues so I offered no advice.

I have been completing my usual hurricane preparations, as has been recommended by our Parish (=County). We went to the grocery store and were pleased to see that while food items were a little sparse on the shelves, we didn't see the completely bare shelves that we often see before hurricanes. Also, there were only 3-4 people ahead of me in line at the check-out. Much easier than we expected.

Then came home and did the world's largest mountain of laundry. Actually it's still in the dryer. It's always good to have everything clean if/when there is a power outage.

So, today's preparation task was to get gasoline in my car since it is pretty much running on fumes at this point, and we would need gas if we decide to evacuate. I was going to get gas on the way home from the grocery store last night, but was tired and didn't (plus our food would have gotten hot in the car). Instead I went for gas on the way home from the restaurant where we had lunch, this afternoon.

It was worse than during the gas shortage back in the 1980's. Lines 20-30 cars long for each pump, at every single station. :facepalm: Every station except for the many that were completely out of gas, that is. We checked at least a dozen gas stations and it's just crazy out there. I would imagine that our Floridians have probably been through this madness too, when a hurricane approaches.

We plan to try again around midnight tonight and see if it's any easier. If getting gas turns out to be impossible, then we will have to leave my Toyota Venza in New Orleans and both evacuate together in his Ford Fiesta (which has plenty of gas). Not going to be too much room for stuff in that tiny car.

Ah, hurricanes. Always an adventure, right? :(

Just 5 days ago in this thread, I was commenting on what a light hurricane season this had been,
No Gulf of Mexico tropical storms or hurricanes making US landfall so far, which is unusual.
but that sure changed quickly. Guess I jinxed it.

Just 5 days ago in this thread, I was commenting on what a light hurricane season this had been,
but that sure changed quickly. Guess I jinxed it.

Your version of a weather Whee! Always highly effective

Met friends in Boston for dinner, then went to Fenway Park for the Sox/Twins game. For the first time in 33 years, it was so hot at a Fenway game that we bailed after trying to find a shred of breeze/comfort on an upper deck, and went to a bar/restaurant to watch the rest of it. Was 90 degrees at 8:30pm, and 54% humidity. Good game though, Sox won 12-2.

I love Fenway and used to drive up from Connecticut for games with a few friends who were Sox fans in the 1970's. It was wild then.

But that heat? 90 F at 8:30 PM? That's pretty toasty by New England standards.

Heck, yesterday myself and three other friends played golf, teeing off at 11:30 am here in Texas. It was 100 F and the humidity was pretty high, maybe 60%. The 'feel like" temp was 110 F.

The youngest in our foursome was 74 years old. You get used to the heat and humidity after a while here, but your always changing clothes and taking mid day showers. :LOL:

Gatorade is our companion on the course!

Last edited:
Did the back half of the grass-cutting this morning and was drenched in sweat by the time I was done. Showered, then went to get a haircut for the first time in about a year and a half.

This time I went to the same place DW goes since the barber I used to go to ignored any semblance of safety precautions last year when the governor said the barber shops could open back up. When I called and asked if I needed an appointment they said "No, just come on in". The parking lot was jammed when I arrived and I didn't see anyone waiting in their cars so I didn't even stop, turned around, and ordered a home barber kit from Amazon. DW has been cutting my hair since then but she doesn't like the job she does. I don't think it's all that bad, but then I don't have to look at it. So I agreed to resume having it done, but elsewhere. I gave the nice lady close to a 100% tip, I know those hair cutting places suffered during the height of the pandemic.

... If getting gas turns out to be impossible, then we will have to leave my Toyota Venza in New Orleans and both evacuate together in his Ford Fiesta (which has plenty of gas). Not going to be too much room for stuff in that tiny car...

I could not help noticing Frank's Fiesta. He obviously did not BTD to get something better than the Fiesta to replace the old Murano. :)

Your version of a weather Whee! Always highly effective
Yes! I'll have to remember to NEVER again gloat about the hurricane season being so uneventful! :LOL: :ROFLMAO:

I could not help noticing Frank's Fiesta. He obviously did not BTD to get something better than the Fiesta to replace the old Murano. :)
Due to unexpected events, his retirement is not FatFire, or even average, but more like SkinnyEmaciatedFire. That's ok! When we first met, he was the rich guy and I was still trying desperately to save every single penny for retirement. But our fortunes flipflopped for reasons we neither expected nor controlled. Still, he remains financially solvent, LBYM, and doing just fine on his own. What a man! Best of all, our relationship has remained intact for 21 years despite all the financial ups and downs. He still pays for all his expenses and I pay for mine, since that was our initial agreement.

He got the Fiesta (used) for $10K a couple of years ago after putting 270,000+ miles on the Murano. His Fiesta is terrific, reliable, does not leak when it rains like his Murano did, and best of all it uses almost no gas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom