Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-15-2021, 07:58 PM   #1541
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Got a hearing test today at Costco. Results were that I am borderline with high frequency loss, so they gave me a pair of loaners to try for a few days to see if I think I want to go that way. The test was 90 minutes and was very thorough. The hearing aids are $1400 a pair and are amazingly sophisticated with bluetooth adjustment and rechargeable batteries with touchless charging.

I was impressed by Costco's service, no hard sell and surprisingly low price.
Took back the hearing aids today. I just couldn't see any significant difference. Hearing tech said she wasn't surprised, based on the test results. Now, if I can just get DW to quit talking to me from another room with the refrigerator running.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-15-2021, 10:06 PM   #1542

Met up with a friend for lunch. First time for on-premise dining in 18 months. Although she was OK with inside, I preferred outside. We're both fully vaccinated but the Delta variant is a concern for my DH who has compromised lung function. It was still great to catch up in person.
MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 10:29 PM   #1543
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
No one wants to run a race when the air stinks..
If that was the case there would be no NYC marathon.
Old 07-16-2021, 03:57 AM   #1544
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Just got back from a trip to Montana where DW did her 78th half marathon. Pretty good for only starting them five years ago, and coming from couch potato status seven years ago. I'm very proud of her, and happy to go along as her support crew most of the time.

Found a BBQ place that had the best brisket I've had in several years, and a local ice cream place that had the best ice cream I've had in years as well. I guess I have to admit that travel is indeed "broadening".
Congrats to your DW! Running a half marathon is impressive, but to average more than one per month for 5 years - that's incredible!
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 05:25 AM   #1545

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
Congrats to your DW! Running a half marathon is impressive, but to average more than one per month for 5 years - that's incredible!
Just for the record, she doesn't run these races -- she's a walker. Lots more walkers in races these days, since it's much easier on the knees. Still not too shabby for anyone in their 70s. She is aiming for 100 halfs by the end of next year, and starting to think about what the next goal will be.
Old 07-16-2021, 08:27 AM   #1546
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Just for the record, she doesn't run these races -- she's a walker. Lots more walkers in races these days, since it's much easier on the knees. Still not too shabby for anyone in their 70s. She is aiming for 100 halfs by the end of next year, and starting to think about what the next goal will be.
Ok. For a minute I thought you were married to Supergirls's birth mother.

Now I realize she's probably a relative of Wonder Woman.
Old 07-16-2021, 12:56 PM   #1547
Give me a forum ...

Learned a new word: Paltering.

""Paltering," or the active use of a truthful statement to mislead someone -- is the subject of a new research study published in the Journal of Personality and Social Psychology. It finds that the tactic is not only common -- more than half of business executives enrolled in a Harvard Business School executive education course admitted they had used it in some or most of their negotiations, for instance -- but viewed with equal distrust as intentional lies. Participants in the study rated the behavior of someone who paltered in a negotiation as being just as unethical or untrustworthy as the person who outright lied with a known falsehood."
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...lly-dishonest/

Seems it is employed nowadays in all manner of public discourse as well.
Old 07-16-2021, 01:05 PM   #1548
Full time employment: Posting here.

Had one of my wife's former co-workers visit yesterday as she was passing through town. She had some sad news to report about her life.

Raised one of our retirement account draws to give us about a $250 a month pretax increase in income starting next month. Part of our going from a 3% to a 4% draw through 2022 because of one income stream ending.
Out of Steam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 01:25 PM   #1549

Got all the treads and risers on. So the gazebo is assembled, but the Home Depot delivered 8 horribly scratched up composite boards, so I've still got an unfinished strip to do. Next is the indoor/outdoor ceiling fans.

The steps took a few days because once the sun comes over the trees (11:30 or so), I quit... just too hot. And it's very important to me to enjoy the doing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20210716_145230509.jpg (823.0 KB, 42 views)
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 03:04 PM   #1550
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls99 View Post

""Paltering," or the active use of a truthful statement to mislead someone -- is the subject of a new research study published in the Journal of Personality and Social Psychology. It finds that the tactic is not only common -- more than half of business executives enrolled in a Harvard Business School executive education course admitted they had used it in some or most of their negotiations, for instance -- but viewed with equal distrust as intentional lies. Participants in the study rated the behavior of someone who paltered in a negotiation as being just as unethical or untrustworthy as the person who outright lied with a known falsehood."

How about an example of somebody 'paltering'?
Old 07-16-2021, 03:12 PM   #1551
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Took back the hearing aids today. I just couldn't see any significant difference. Hearing tech said she wasn't surprised, based on the test results. Now, if I can just get DW to quit talking to me from another room with the refrigerator running.
I know I have some hearing loss (hello rock and roll with head phones on), but I have the same issue with DW. I will literally be 2 rooms and a hallway away, and she speaks in a normal voice.

NO, I cannot hear you know, and I couldn't 20 years ago!
Old 07-16-2021, 03:18 PM   #1552
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls99 View Post

In today’s paper
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 29AD7253-43EA-4817-8C08-78847E524D88.jpeg (386.5 KB, 46 views)
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 03:39 PM   #1553
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
How about an example of somebody 'paltering'?
from Lifehacker:
"For example, that slimy used car salesman might say that the old beater you’re looking at “starts up great” and that “these are reliable models” when you ask how it runs, but neglects to mention that the engine of that particular vehicle dies regularly. He didn’t lie to you, but he didn’t tell you the truth either."

Politicians use the technique frequently, I'll pass on examples for them as that would invite PORKY!
Old 07-16-2021, 04:34 PM   #1554
Administrator

Yesterday, the young wife and I harvested our shallots in the morning. Then she made sweet pickle relish with her bounty of slicing cukes. I canned 8 half-pints for her. She also started fermenting four quarts of dill pickles. This afternoon we harvested all of our onions and garlic (~120 of each). It was about 92 deg. out at the garden (which made for some hot and sweaty work). They're all now on drying racks with the shallots out in the garage. We'll go back tomorrow morning to put some new zucchini in the now empty onion bed and some Italian Romano pole beans in the empty garlic bed. We'll also take in the rest of the cabbage and the young wife will start fermenting some sauerkraut.
Old 07-16-2021, 04:41 PM   #1555
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:

Still - a hike of 13 miles even on flat ground is a chore.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 04:51 PM   #1556

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
Still - a hike of 13 miles even on flat ground is a chore.
Curious if she had ever worn a fit bit type device and knows how many steps that is. No real reason, just wondering.
Old 07-16-2021, 05:06 PM   #1557

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry1 View Post
Curious if she had ever worn a fit bit type device and knows how many steps that is. No real reason, just wondering.
Oh, she's utterly addicted to her Apple Watch, and tracks all the metrics all the time.

Steps in a race will vary a lot, depending on the individual.
One common estimate is that for the average person it will be between 2,000 and 2,500 steps per mile, if walking. Since your stride lengthens when you run, it would be between 1,400 and 1,700 steps per mile for an average runner.

Lots of variation between fast and slow, men and women, length of stride, etc.
Old 07-16-2021, 05:11 PM   #1558

Played my 5th round of golf for the week, walking the course every time with at least one friend.

Received a new phone for DW and spent more time than I preferred in the Verizon store just trying to get a SIM card. I will switch here over to the new phone sometime this weekend.

About to eat dinner with DW, then, despite the heat, go on an evening stroll with her and a few friends at a nearby park. Later this evening will tackle what I hope is a "simple" repair of a leaky faucet.
Old 07-16-2021, 05:24 PM   #1559

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
Got all the treads and risers on. So the gazebo is assembled, but the Home Depot delivered 8 horribly scratched up composite boards, so I've still got an unfinished strip to do. Next is the indoor/outdoor ceiling fans.

The steps took a few days because once the sun comes over the trees (11:30 or so), I quit... just too hot. And it's very important to me to enjoy the doing.
Looks Great!!
street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 05:28 PM   #1560

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry1 View Post
Reminds me that the very definition of a mile is 1000 steps of a Roman army unit. (Mile <--> mille.) For them, a step was what we could call two steps, i.e., for them, a step was from left forward to left forward again. So I usually figure 2000 steps per mile, +/-.