What did you do today? - 2021 version

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gumby,
I discovered Tuscany cantaloupes at our local market,and we love them. They are much sweeter than regular ones. Ours have green lines around them.

Went to a retiree luncheon outside on a deck. There were 9 of us. We only have them quarterly now and it was great to see and talk with everyone.

I went to an eye appointment this afternoon. I had cataract surgery on my right eye 9/2/21 and had a basic lens put in. Dr. told me that I have more astigmatism in my left eye and he could put the basic lens in, but I would not be able to see 20/20, it would be 20/30. Decided to go with the Clarity lens, $1400.00 to hopefully make it the same as right eye. Cataract surgery on the left eye is 9/16/21 and I can't wait.

Took DH to a dr appointment and then we got our flu shots at CVS.

Had my second cataract surgery. Everything went well. Can't wait until my eye is no longer dilated to see how my vision is in that eye.

Went out to lunch at a new place. One of those places that will not be revisited. Just OK. Then over to the carpet shop to get set up for the new carpet in the master BR that just got painted. Home improvements are drawing to a close...FINALLY - :)

I went to CVS this afternoon and got my annual flu shot and my first-ever pneumococcal vaccine.

I wanted to get them both out of the way now, just in case Covid boosters are approved for the general public in the near future. I'd like to have a bit of time between all the shots. I feel a bit like a pin cushion, but no adverse effects so far.

However, for being so incredibly brave as to get two jabs at once, I believe I will reward myself with a chocolate cupcake after dinner. :D :LOL:

I went to CVS this afternoon and got my annual flu shot and my first-ever pneumococcal vaccine.

I wanted to get them both out of the way now, just in case Covid boosters are approved for the general public in the near future. I'd like to have a bit of time between all the shots. I feel a bit like a pin cushion, but no adverse effects so far.

However, for being so incredibly brave as to get two jabs at once, I believe I will reward myself with a chocolate cupcake after dinner. :D :LOL:
I'm pretty sure you deserve ice cream too.

Went flying R/C airplanes yesterday with my now-former student, who finally cut the ties and flew his airplane without the "buddy box" arrangement, meaning I couldn't rescue his airplane from any of his mistakes. He then promptly flew it to "dust dot" distance and almost lost it, guessed right on orientation, and got it back. Lesson learned.

Talked with my former flight instructor, who is interested in flying R/C. This will be a role reversal! He should be an easy and quick study since he already knows all the principles, it's simply learning the appropriate reactions when the airplane is coming back at you and that's a matter of practice.

Worked my fun part-time job at a Quality Assurance lab at a Quarry and asphalt concrete plant.

After a long career as a design engineer producing plans and specifications for roadway projects, it’s fun to be part of the process producing and testing materials for construction projects. And climbing up on the plants’ equipment and trucks to get samples (buckets and bags of rock and boxes of very hot asphalt concrete) for testing and hauling back to the lab is a heck of a workout. No need to hit the gym on work days.

Did some bow hunting in the morning, then wedding rehearsal afternoon. We sat with a Medical Doctor and his wife for the meal after rehearsal. We both have a lot in common in life. You can't buy back time, is a question he askes himself each day.

Well, today is the day for the wedding. It will be busy with some things that will need to be done.

Went out to lunch at a new place. One of those places that will not be revisited. Just OK. Then over to the carpet shop to get set up for the new carpet in the master BR that just got painted. Home improvements are drawing to a close...FINALLY - :)

Then you will have even more BTD money for great food! :LOL:
It's always nice to be at the end of home improvements. Sit back and enjoy!

Cracked a tooth in the end of July. But I put off going to the dentist because it didn't hurt or cause me any problems.

Part of the tooth fell out just before my scheduled dentist appt yesterday. Dentist looked at it and scheduled another appt in a couple of weeks.

Working on making 2 hiking sticks. One needs to be shipped. Thought about buying a pool noodle to ship it in, but can't find any. So I bought a stick of foam pipe insulation - it was cheap and lightweight to keep shipping cost down.

Did some bow hunting in the morning, then wedding rehearsal afternoon. We sat with a Medical Doctor and his wife for the meal after rehearsal. We both have a lot in common in life. You can't buy back time, is a question he askes himself each day.

Well, today is the day for the wedding. It will be busy with some things that will need to be done.

Have fun! And have someone take lots of photos.

Working on making 2 hiking sticks. One needs to be shipped. Thought about buying a pool noodle to ship it in, but can't find any. So I bought a stick of foam pipe insulation - it was cheap and lightweight to keep shipping cost down.

Good idea on the pipe insulation. I am hoping to make a walking stick too. I recently read about the British Island of Jersey, which lies close off the French coast, where they once made walking sticks from giant kale that they grew. Since I have some pretty tall kale growing in my garden, I thought I might try that myself. https://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/jersey-kale

Last edited:
Started digging in the backyard to find the crack in the underground sprinkler circuit that my neighbor tree root caused. The water is coming up at an unexpected spot. Did I run a stub line there, did not use it, then forgot all about it? It's been so long, maybe 20 years. My "superior memory" is failing me. I hate that.

Always some problems to work on. I hate digging trenches, but am reluctant to look for someone to do the job.

I recently read about the British Island of Jersey, which lies close off the French coast, where they once made walking sticks from giant kale that they grew.

Very interesting. Jersey (along with Guernsey) is on my bucket list and I had actually planned to visit this year before, well...

So this will be something else I can look for when I finally make it to the island.

Good idea on the pipe insulation. I am hoping to make a walking stick too. I recently read about the British Island of Jersey, which lies close off the French coast, where they once made walking sticks from giant kale that they grew. Since I have some pretty tall kale growing in my garden, I thought I might try that myself. https://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/jersey-kale

Looks like a fun project. Article says 1 year to grow, 2 years to dry to make a kale stick. Seems like Kale takes longer to dry than the wood that I'm using. (mostly oak, some maple, osage, and black locust)

Keep us posted on your progress!

For those who just want to buy a decent walking stick, here is a good source:

https://www.brazos-walking-sticks.com/

Whether you're seeking a staff for a wilderness trek, a stick or cane for support, or a one-of-a-kind heirloom quality gift, you've come to the right place. Brazos offers the best. Our sticks and canes are only handcrafted in Texas, from the highest quality trees in the US. You can rest assured, that a Brazos will last you for many years to come.

All I did was flush the water heater, a month overdue. I try to do it every other month. Lots of crud came out so it needed it.

And we had a 5-year-old grandnephew visiting for a few hours. He was visiting his Grandma, but she had an appointment she couldn't break so we had him for a bit.

DW spent quite a bit of time thinking of stuff for him to do, but it really wasn't necessary. Who knew a paper shredder would have such a high entertainment value?

Attachments

• Who knew- (1 of 2).jpg
    Who knew- (1 of 2).jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 50
  • Who knew- (2 of 2).jpg
    Who knew- (2 of 2).jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 49
All I did was flush the water heater, a month overdue. I try to do it every other month. Lots of crud came out so it needed it.

And we had a 5-year-old grandnephew visiting for a few hours. He was visiting his Grandma, but she had an appointment she couldn't break so we had him for a bit.

DW spent quite a bit of time thinking of stuff for him to do, but it really wasn't necessary. Who knew a paper shredder would have such a high entertainment value?

What's his hourly rate? I am waaaay behind in my shredding. :D:LOL:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom