What did you do today? - 2021 version

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dental surgeon visit today, 2 weeks after the implant was put in.

Their automatic, computer operated, X-ray machine was "down". They had to X-ray the tooth area using "old school" technology. None of the nurses or aids knew how to operate a hand held x-ray gun. The surgeon had to operate the unit seeing he has been a surgeon for 30 years. Haha!

All is good and a new tooth can be scheduled for late November install. :dance:

Dental surgeon visit today, 2 weeks after the implant was put in.

Their automatic, computer operated, X-ray machine was "down". They had to X-ray the tooth area using "old school" technology. None of the nurses or aids knew how to operate a hand held x-ray gun. The surgeon had to operate the unit seeing he has been a surgeon for 30 years. Haha!

All is good and a new tooth can be scheduled for late November install. :dance:

As I tried (unsuccessfully) to teach the young'uns at w#rk, we "greyhairs" were still good for something! :D

Had dinner with friends last night- we bought the pizza stone for our green egg, and it was kind of an experiment. Dinner turned out well. My friend, who is from Chile, mentioned that she needs to go for a visit in a month or two as she hasn't been to see family since the pandemic started. Would I like to go with her? Why yes, I would!

Chile was my favorite country in South America. It is beautiful and the people are nice.

Chile was my favorite country in South America. It is beautiful and the people are nice.

Ordinarily, yes. But when we were there nearly two years ago there was a lot of rioting and many of the storefronts in downtown Santiago were trashed and boarded up. A very tense time, but that seems to be mostly over now. We still enjoyed our visit, both there and in the south of the country. I would go back there now too.

This morning a Broad Meeting, then I will go mow a lawn for any elderly lady. I will goofy around the yard maybe irrigate, then head out bow hunting late afternoon.

Visited Great Falls National Park, about 45 minutes from home. It is the "great falls" on the Potomac River. Nice hiking trails and ruins of a series of man-made locks that farmers and trappers used to navigate past the treacherous falls back in the early 1800s.

Picture of the falls (often there are kayakers practicing in the wake), and separate picture high above the river marking the peak of flood waters (not sure why it is sideways). Highest flood peaks were back in 1936.

Attachments

• PXL_20210913_181617334.jpg
    PXL_20210913_181617334.jpg
    769.8 KB · Views: 45
  • PXL_20210913_180644638.jpg
    PXL_20210913_180644638.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 44
Last edited:
Serviced my shop air compressor (5 HP, 220 V, 40 gal tank).

1. Replaced compressor air intake filter media.

2. Fixed two leaks in the water filter/regulator piping.

3. Ran to shut off pressure and drained the tank of accumulated water.

4. installed a new air hose reel (ratcheted/spring loaded) and added 25 feet of new hybrid air hose to the 25 feet on the reel.

Coming up:

The regulator seems to be "sticky" and difficult to set a fixed output pressure. I probably should just order a new on and a new water separator. This time I will mount them remote from the compressor as the vibration is likely shortening their life.

I've had this monster compressor since 1976 and its one tool I just can't part with. It's too big for giving to a family member as no one has a need for it and it needs a separate 220 Volt line. I guess when the house sells someday, it will just go with it.;)

Morning follow up Dr. appointment, got a 2nd Hepatitis A shot, and scheduled me for a COVID booster shot in two weeks. She wants to make sure that if one of them produces a reaction they know which one did it. So far the only reaction I've ever had to any vaccine is a mildly sore arm for a couple of days.

Did some troubleshooting of the GFCI circuit from our pool equipment to our outdoor kitchen. I isolated the problem to a GFCI outlet that could not be reset properly. I drove to Home Depot and bought a new one and replaced the defective GFCI outlet. Everything is working fine now and saved a bundle.

We went out to lunch at Blaze Pizza and wow, they just keep getting better. Then off to the carpet store to put the deposit down and get the ball rolling. Looks like delivery and installation week of Oct 4. Yeah Baby!

Returned via the grocery and got a couple of fresh buns for wagyu burgers tonight - :)

Played golf with my group of 75+ year old guys. Weather was perfect (80's, low humidity, sunny). We did not stop on the way home for the $6.99 meat loaf special lunch at Cracker Barrel.

Pressure washed the entire outside of the house, except for the front porch, sidewalk, and driveway that I did a few days ago. Then changed the oil on it, squirt some oil into the cylinder and crank it over a few times, drained all fuel from the entire fuel system, flushed out the pump with some antifreeze stuff, and it's ready to be put away for winter.

And I'm tired. That's enough for one day.

DW says the outside of the house looks nice.

Not sure if I should post this here, or in the "Peeves" thread....... but I'll put it here.

So I bought a used propane furnace for the new garage being built at the lake house. $50. 18 year old, 90% American Standard. Small furnace, only 40K BTH/hr. Will do well to heat the 16x10 foot shop in the back of the garage, and could take the chill out of the air in the larger garage space once it is all insulated (24x34 if you include the shop) if not too cold out.

I reached out to a local HVAC outfit for a quote on installation, converting the furnace from Nat Gas to LP (I have the kit already, 2 burner orifice replacements and a gas valve reg spring, $35), install, vent, and pipe to an as yet to be placed propane tank behind the garage.

Days later, I got a quote via e-mail, and it was beyond stupid. I had no plans to use them for the install based on the quote, but asked how long they thought it would take and they replied, "I think I should be able to get it done in 2 days".

Today I finished the install myself. I placed the furnace on a 4x4 framed pedestal that I made, did the Nat Gas to LP conversion using the instructions that came with the kit. Lagged the furnace to the frame, obtained the necessary adapters to pipe the gas valve to a 20lb propane grill tank. Wired in a $21 thermostat from Lowes, and vented the intake and exhaust runs with 2" PVC consistent with ANSI Z223.1/NFPA 54, installed the "top hat" plenum and fired it up. It works perfectly. It took me a total of 6 hours, not including building the pedestal (which I told the HVAC guy that I would do) but did include running the AC circuit to it (which I told the HVAC guy that I would also do).

Plans are to see how the 20lb tanks work out over this winter, I'd guess that I might use the shop space 2-4 times a week for a few hours. Next year, finish insulating the whole of the garage, get the propane company to drop a 100lb tank behind the garage, then hire a licensed gas fitter to do an iron pipe run from the new tank to the furnace, and do the full input and output gas pressure and leak checks, etc. on the furnace This winter, I will just shut off the tank valve when I am not using the furnace. This a detached garage BTW, so doesn't even have to meet residential furnace codes technically, but I will see that it does in the final implementation.

Anyone want to guess wheat the quote from the HVAC company was, to do what I did in 6 hours with about $45 in materials??

........Anyone want to guess wheat the quote from the HVAC company was, to do what I did in 6 hours with about $45 in materials??
Nothing would surprise me. I think of all the "trades", HVAC harbors the biggest crooks, which includes the HVAC supply network.

Printed out the carpet contract, signed and delivered. Carpet dude advised carpet shipped. From the east coast no less. Did some shelf work in the tool shed and transferred my Morgan Stanley account to Fidelity.

Picked up the $5 Papa Murphy friday pizza special and added 3 bucks worth of mushrooms, garlic, red pepper, and oregano.

I signed up for a library card at a branch of the library in the county next door to my county.

Until recently, I almost always found what I wanted at the library one town over in my own county. But recently I have been unable to find quite a few things, so I end up buying a lot of used books online. If I keep this up it will eventually bankrupt me! :D

I was able to browse the online catalog for my non-county library, and discovered that they have every book in a mystery series I want to read, whereas my county library had none of them. :(

So I tootled off to the non-county library for the first time ever, and paid the annual fee of $45 for being an out-of-county resident, and I am the proud possessor of a second library card. Be still my heart! I immediately checked out the first two books in the series.

Now all I have to do is remember which books came from which library, and make sure I return them to the appropriate place. :LOL:

Nothing would surprise me. I think of all the "trades", HVAC harbors the biggest crooks, which includes the HVAC supply network.

$4580 !!!!! UNREAL! I kid you not. If he e-mails me back, "are you interested?" I am going to reply with "Can you tell me the name of your crack dealer?"

Helped volunteer for E Waste recycling this morning and will be heading for the ranch shortly. I have many odd jobs to do and will take time to do some fun things also.

$4580 !!!!! UNREAL! I kid you not. If he e-mails me back, "are you interested?" I am going to reply with "Can you tell me the name of your crack dealer?"
That is only $763 an hour. A man has gotta eat.

I would ask him how big his boat is; obviously a payment is due on it.

I've been a bachelor for the past week taking care of the animals and doing odd jobs and repairs around the house while my wife went off with a couple of girl friends to backpack some of the Appalachian Trail. She got back late last night after driving 10 hours and then up again this morning for a tennis match. Not bad for a 75 yr old lady but I think she is going to rest afterwards for a few days. Me? I'm just arm candy. :D

Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom