What did you do today? - 2021 version

Status
Not open for further replies.
Went for an early morning hike. Then did some recently-retired stuff. Completed consolidation of investment accounts and re-balanced. Contacted a realtor to get some land sold. We bought it in 2006 but never built on it. I think we'll come out all right on it even after taking paid taxes into account. Started another novel by Jamie Lee Burke.

Hiked all day was a great day in the outdoors.

AFAIK I'm getting either Pfizer or Moderna.....will (attempt to) confirm the second date tomorrow* when I get the shot.

Got the Pfizer - confirmed second shot scheduled for July 13.

Yesterday I walked in a direction I haven't walked since last March and discovered the closed Toys R Us turned into a Target and Models closed. Good tradeoff IMO. I went to Best Buy to get a VGA cable and booted up my first quad core computer. Webpages load just as slowly as before and backups over USB 3.0 never even reached 90 MB/s, but the SSD makes it boot fast.

I visited my aunt and uncle, who live in an independent living cottage at a local CCRC. The last time we saw each other in person was at Christmas, 2019.

All three of us are now fully vaccinated, so we decided to meet for lunch at their place. We hugged, and talked, and ate - with no masks on - it was just like normal life!! :D

I feel happier than I have for a very long time. It was very difficult to be separated from them for so long.

Got the Pfizer - confirmed second shot scheduled for July 13.

Seems strange to me. Maybe it's a Canadian thing.

According to the CDC

Persons age 16 years and older should receive 2 doses at least 21 days apart.
Second doses should be administered as close to the recommended interval as possible.
If it is not feasible to adhere to the recommended interval, you may schedule the second dose up to 6 weeks (42 days) after the first dose; there is limited efficacy data beyond this window, but a dose after this time does not need to be repeated.

DW and I got our first one on 02/28. She got her second one today. I was scheduled to get mine today to, but had to put it off so I'm now scheduled for April 7.

Last edited:
Seems strange to me. Maybe it's a Canadian thing.

According to the CDC

DW and I got our first one on 02/28. She got her second one today. I was scheduled to get mine today to, but had to put it off so I'm now scheduled for April 7.

Yes, apparently it is a Canadian thing, to get more first doses in more arms.

https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/services/immunization/national-advisory-committee-on-immunization-naci/rapid-response-extended-dose-intervals-covid-19-vaccines-early-rollout-population-protection.html

Finalized our Alaska trip plans, reserving float plane and Katmai NP lodging. Then went for a windy hike, tracking down some pelicans and sandhill cranes.

Attachments

• sandhill cranes 03242021.jpg
    sandhill cranes 03242021.jpg
    199.3 KB · Views: 44
  • pelicans 6 03242021.jpg
    pelicans 6 03242021.jpg
    512.6 KB · Views: 43
  • pelicans 5 03242021.jpg
    pelicans 5 03242021.jpg
    589.9 KB · Views: 43
It hit a whopping 15C today so spent a couple hours in the backyard practicing archery with my recurve bow.

First time since last fall. No targets were overly hurt in the process....:LOL:

Went to the ranch and spent till early afternoon. Then went and did a little yard work for an elderly lady who I help out. I spend about about an 1 to 2 hours a week in spring, summer and early fall do some her yard work. She is a very wealthy lady who lost her husband a couple of years ago.

She has 5 kids that live close and they do a lot for her but likes to have someone come in to help her do some of the tasks.

What did I do today? I had a doctors appointment this morning. Scheduled an MRI for Monday. Took some pain medication. Don’t remember much else.

Dash man, sorry to hear of your discomfort. I have been experiencing a lower back pain now and again. I sure hope it isn't a hip or an issue with my back. I have been very lucky in life so far with good health. My body has done a lot of manual labor in it's life time thou so I might be feeling the abuse I have done.

AFAIK I'm getting either Pfizer or Moderna.....will (attempt to) confirm the second date tomorrow* when I get the shot.

(*We have different time zones here.......is it Twilight yet? :LOL:)

minimum 3-weeks for Pfizer, 4-weeks for Moderna. most places here giving the shots will schedule your second shot before you leave.

we've been dealing with the death of my BIL in Calif. on March 5th, getting him back home to Illinois, the funeral and the aftermath. BIL told nobody anything about anyrhing. we discovered, quite by chance, his trust document (wife and i are succesor trustees) but it's been a daily treasure hunt for his assets. this will be my fourth time either as succesor trustee or doing the legwork for the S.T. at some point we'll be heading to Calif. to clean out his condo and close some loose ends. he was a horder. gonma be fun.

Sorry to hear about your family's loss and the added burden of handling his estate, rk911. A good reminder to us all to have paperwork in order whether we personally care about it or not.

Today, I had just finished up patching plaster as part of a home renovation project when I heard a loud thud outside. When I went to look, I discovered that a big dump truck had just dumped five yards of mulch/manure mix in my yard. It was for my neighbor.

When the young guy driving the truck could not contact my neighbor, he called his boss, who told him to just dump it next to the driveway. The kid chose the wrong side. The landscaping company sent out another young fellow and the three of us, joined by my neighbor when he finally got home, shoveled the whole pile back into the truck, which took it around the other side of the neighbor's house and put it where it was intended.

The upside is that I got a real workout heaving all that horse poop. And that part of my lawn will probably be quite green this summer. The two young guys and I chatted as we shoveled. The were friendly and interesting, and it was a pleasant interlude from my otherwise hermit-like quarantine.

Last edited:
Very neighborly of you, Gumby. Were you thinking once you retired you were done cleaning up other people's “manure”?

Dash man, sorry to hear of your discomfort. I have been experiencing a lower back pain now and again. I sure hope it isn't a hip or an issue with my back. I have been very lucky in life so far with good health. My body has done a lot of manual labor in it's life time thou so I might be feeling the abuse I have done.

Take care of yourself. I started with cervical spine issues in 2006 and the lumbar spine problems started about five years later. So far, my problems can’t be fix surgically. I get regular ablations that help a lot, but something else is going on now and my last ablation didn’t work very well.

clean it up gently and apply a single steri strip across it if you are worried. It is going to reinforce the cut, but at the expense of some skin irritation.

I had not heard of these, I'll get some to have on hand, I read this to late to help him, but the thumb is healing fine. He is still playing his keyboard so I think it is OK.

Walked around the yard a bit and was taken aback at how quickly the weeds have sprouted, so I got the sprayer tank filled up and put down three gallons of weed killer. That wasn't even all of them but that's all my back was up for lugging around. I have a four gallon backpack sprayer but now have to limit myself to three gallons at a time. Bummer.

Some of the fixin's for the R/C airplane under construction arrived and I was able to install the pull-pull control system for the rudder. Pull-pull systems as the name implies, means two cables attached to either side of the control surface going to either arm on the servo controlling that surface. They are, as the British say with characteristic understatement, "a bit fiddly". In American English this means it takes at least an hour, and you're working with very tiny parts such that you need both a headband magnifier and a headband light - full Geek Gear - and handling at least some of the parts with tweezers or small needle-nose pliers.

The reward is that once installed and adjusted, control is very precise. Since both cables are under tension there is no "slop" in the controls. I still have the elevator to so, that's for tomorrow.

Sorry to hear about your family's loss and the added burden of handling his estate, rk911. A good reminder to us all to have paperwork in order whether we personally care about it or not.

thanks. the takeaway from this is something i've been preaching to my sister and my nephew and his new wife. preparing a plan for end-of-life just ain't for geezers. it can happen to anyone in the blink of an eye. but just as important is to let someone outside your immediate household know what/where the plan is.

When we went to bed last night in snowing, it was still when I got up at 7am. It was trash day, DW insisted I needed to run the snowblower to get the trash out, I knew better. Then I tried it and pulled the snowblower out. It was weird like a foot by the house and at the road nut only six inches other places. I guess the trees kept it from falling evenly. It was a wet sloppy snow with some more coming tonight.

I made a grocery run before lunch and picked up some McDonalds on the way home. It's been sunny in the afternoon, the sunshine is melting the snow in the pines causing frequent snow bombs to fall. It's supposed to warm up to 50° tomorrow afternoon it's going to be wet.

I had not heard of these, I'll get some to have on hand, I read this to late to help him, but the thumb is healing fine. He is still playing his keyboard so I think it is OK.

They are very handy. If you have a clean cut and also clean it properly, they are as good as a stitch in a lower stressed area.
I had a complex shoulder surgery last December, and the PA who was closing the 6 incisions managed to close 5 :(
When we discovered this omission at home, we cleaned it up and fixed it with a steri-strip. They tried to say "the stitch must have pulled out" but you know, a stitch leaves these little telltale holes. They never did admit the mistake, and the steri strip was the only fix that would work after all that time.

Take care of yourself. I started with cervical spine issues in 2006 and the lumbar spine problems started about five years later. So far, my problems can’t be fix surgically. I get regular ablations that help a lot, but something else is going on now and my last ablation didn’t work very well.

I do wish you well. Can't act like a kid anymore, even thou I might feel like I can.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom