What did you do today? - 2023/2024 version

25 blocks sounds like plenty to me. My back would require a day of recovery between trips.

Ha. I made a typo (that I have now corrected). I need 250 blocks total. I'm buying them 25 per load. And I did 2 loads today. That's about all my back can move around in a day.

I'm washing and putting up all my fall / winter clothes. (It's the same ... just add a coat). So ready for spring!!

Then going out for a walk without a sweater

Mowed the "back forty" today. This is getting tiresome and I may give it up and try hiring someone for the rest of the season. But I'm fussy and the guy I had hired last time was reliable, but he never changed the pattern mowing so the equipment was digging ruts in the turns. That's part of why I started doing it myself again. The other reason was the doc recommended more exercise so I thought I'd do something useful instead of wandering aimlessly around the neighborhood.

Some yard work here too.

But first, I decided this morning was the time to try climbing the hill to the 3 crosses I can see from my window. Took this pic from the end of the paved road, a 6 minute walk away. Followed the dirt track to the right down then up then curved to the left to the tree on the ridge near the middle of the pic. The sketchy dirt track disappeared altogether and the slope got steeper. Rough rocky ground covered by foot high weeds with tiny purple and yellow flowers going left up the ridge to the crosses. Decided to go back down rather than risk falling, or maybe snakes in the weeds. I did not have hiking poles or anything, but the view was nice.

Attachments

• IMG_20230408_100705.jpg
    IMG_20230408_100705.jpg
    909.8 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_20230408_095319.jpg
    IMG_20230408_095319.jpg
    934.9 KB · Views: 68
Just went and saw Air the new Ben Affleck and Matt Damon movie. Well worth it.

Met with a gentleman about replacing our double front door half circles of single pane glass, which are looking pretty dated. His company will recut the half circles into rectangles, and replace the basic single pane clear glass with a lovely triple pane leaded glass design that will utilize privacy glass. Should be a great 'face lift' to our home for about $1,000. That is as compared to the $8,000-$10,000 I'm seeing for a total double front doors replacement. Our front doors are well made solid wood, so we're super pleased.

After he left, we went for a nine mile walk, our 'short' training hike for the week, having done 15 and 14 miles two days earlier. It felt easy, so I know we've both gotten considerably stronger, which was good to see. We leave for our Spain walk in about a month.

A little yard work when we returned, because it was too nice to be inside, showers then cocktails back outside to enjoy some ocean viewing, before the evening chill sent us back indoors.

Last edited:
We came out yesterday for our first stay at our seasonal cabin.

We're happy as it it wintered well. We stocked the fridge and pantry and gave it a good cleaning. I also spent 2 hours in 3 or 4 shifts clearing snow off the deck.

Went to a medium-sized family gathering at DW's niece's place, always a good time. She usually does an Easter dinner, but this time it was an Easter brunch with some potluck thrown in. Less work for her and it distributes the workload more evenly. We all had a good time and enjoyed the company despite the hour and a half drive each way.

I finished and filed the taxes, and the IRS took the return first time around.
I set up DW's new pixel 7 and we got her work authenticator going after a prolonged session with her IS department. Better today than tomorrow.

DD and DGKs went home today after the spring break/Easter visit. We (including the dog) took a nap.

DH and I went for a three mile hike at a raptor sanctuary about an hour from our home. The trail isn’t difficult but it is quite rocky so you have to watch every step. It was crystal clear and the temperature was perfect. We only saw turkey vultures, but there have been daily bald eagle sightings. Tomorrow I’ll be walking close to home, shopping, and resume spring cleaning.

Late afternoon sitting beside the pool under warm cloudless blue skies and thinking about my day.

Went out on a good long gravel bike ride, trimmed a few trees in the orchard, met for an hour on a little fun consulting job I’m doing, and wrapped up my day at the gym.

Pretty darn good day!

Went early and worked on shallow well and got it working. What a relief because a few things I did were unorthodox way of doing it. The set up I did is not the normal way, but things work great!! Just have a few details on the pit decking and will be done.

It was a beautiful day 75-degree day with full sun. Be heading back there tomorrow morning to finish then will do the rest of the day hiking in the area.

River is going out really nice and tame so far. With temps all above freezing for the next days the ice should go out smoothly.

DH and I went for a three mile hike at a raptor sanctuary about an hour from our home. The trail isn’t difficult but it is quite rocky so you have to watch every step. It was crystal clear and the temperature was perfect. We only saw turkey vultures, but there have been daily bald eagle sightings. Tomorrow I’ll be walking close to home, shopping, and resume spring cleaning.

Typical for PA hiking. Every book I’ve read about the AT, the through hikers complain about the rocky trails in PA.

Yesterday I rode again at my new “home” gravel trails. I set a lot of segment PRs, but only because my first two rides here were very slow. I’m starting to get accustomed to the hills.

Cleared some brush and burned my burn piles. Put in 7.8 miles without leaving our lot. Trying to get brush cleared and burned before fire weather watch comes in Wednesday AM.

As usual went to favorite coffee shop. Saw a miracle, three women wearing dresses.

We’re continuing to work on getting our home ready for sale.

Today - tried to paint rest of foyer/great room ceiling. It was mostly painted a couple years ago - but we had some work to do on steps/foyer and couldn’t do it all then…..

Other projects have been done and paint that we think we set aside does not match well. Tried 3 other computer made matches to shade with different bases - but they don’t either….

We’ll try to feather out the difference - and see how it does.

Attempt #5 ….

Day 1 of 2 consecutive warm days (then cold and rain) so I started cleaning the garage.

Instead of sorting and neatly putting away things that I probably will never use, I'm ruthlessly purging. It's either going in the garbage, by the road for free pickup, or being donated. Also, my wife's daughter is moving out this summer so I'm filling a couple tool boxes with duplicates to get them started.

Took a ride along the north fork of the Kern River with stops here and there to look around and take pics. The flowers are blooming like crazy, and the white water is roaring. Very nice right up to the road closure.

Attachments

• IMG_20230411_125922.jpg
    IMG_20230411_125922.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 40
Went to get blood drawn, then an (unrelated) medical appointment, went to Lowe's with a fairly long list, did about half an hour of tidying work for the next stage of my crawl space project, then went to the gym.

This morning I did some shopping at HomeGoods and found some things to get our bedroom a little more “put together”. Then DH and I emptied a couple of boxes and organized the basement a little. There are still boxes of photo albums, books, and games that cannot be unpacked until I find furniture to store the items. It will happen eventually.

I purposefully took the day off from riding or pickleball to give an achy knee a rest, to be ready for a mountain biking class tomorrow. But I just got an email that the class has been postponed due to the threat of rain. DD, who was also going to take the class, suggested that we go out for a ride tomorrow morning before it rains. That should be fun; DD knows the local trails very well and can show me around. I’ve found my way around on my gravel bike but not so much on the single track.

Went flying a couple of R/C airplanes, and was having a bad day with batteries staying secured.

On one, a "flat foamy", I was doing some rather violent maneuvers and managed to completely disconnect the battery when it fell out of the airplane. To everyone's astonishment the airplane executed a perfect glide to a landing. On the runway! If there weren't witnesses and even a video no one would believe it. Those who fly airplanes of any type will understand what a near-miracle that is, to have the controls positioned properly at the instant of disconnect to compensate for the radical change in the center of gravity when the battery (the heaviest component on the airplane) fell free. No way could I pull that off if I'd tried.

On the other one the battery fell free from the strap holding it on but stayed connected. But since the center of gravity was so radically changed rearward the airplane was difficult to control and I settled for landing it level in some tall grass instead of trying and probably losing the battle to land on the runway. This resulted in a broken landing gear leg but this is easily repaired.

And one of the guys at the field made an offer on another model that I didn't even have with me which I will accept. This will make room for a different airplane. Storage is becoming an issue and I need to make some room. Even the ceiling space is full.

Attachments

• RC Airplanes (3 of 8).jpg
    RC Airplanes (3 of 8).jpg
    138.2 KB · Views: 43
Found a nice winter down coat lightly used at a local thrift store. $5.

Fills a gap in my cold weather clothes wardrobe for next winter. :D

Nice one Walt! Like a hole in one, you needed witnesses.
@MC Rider score! Cue up Maclemore's Thrift shop. Poppin some tags :)
I fixed a water service pipe in a new coffee shop build coming up. I had roughed it in yesterday, but it was bugging me.
I had to custom bend it with a torch to get it better.
I welded up a bracket for a neighboring business's rolling gate, and the guy thanked me in that sideways manner that made it sound like he was doing me a favor by letting me fix it.
People are strange.

Back
Top Bottom