What did you do today? - 2023/2024 version

IMG_1828.JPGIMG_1829.JPG

Bought these for $10. Badly needing repair by disassembling and sanding, and then refinishing (metal - paint, wood stain)

Here’s after disassembly and refinishing -

IMG_2207.JPGIMG_2232.JPG

And after reassembly. Bought stain ($6 from menards), and new hardware ($20).

IMG_2242.JPG

^ I bet that was a fun project!!! Some of those projects make it so enjoyable when you can use in everyday life.

Took the dog for a walk. We're down by the community mailbox and watching the spring thaw start. 20230329_151712.jpg

It was fun. We enjoy re-purposing or refurbishing items.

Some of it because we’re frugal. Some of it is because we don’t like this stuff going to waste (dump). Some of it is ability to get unique items - when we’re repurposing not just refurbishing

Had a nuclear stress test. They didn't make me walk on a treadmill, they just injected me with something that made my heart rate speed up. It was a weird feeling, but very brief, and a lot better (IMHO) than the treadmill test I did a few years ago. One of the few advantages of getting old.

Yard work, with frequent breaks. I used the Honda mini-tiller with the dethatcher attachment to rough up the ground, spread some grass seed, then covered with a thin layer of topsoil, and finally watered it.

I like that little tiller, bought it 20+ years ago when we were at the old house and I've used it frequently.

Yard work is in full swing. Took down 2 more trees. Thought I could drop one to miss my dock, but no it crashed into my dock busting up 1 piece of dock decking. And I broke a mirror off my truck trying to back it into position to pull a tree down. And DW threw out her back and has been mostly immobile for the past 24 hours.

Ronstar, hope your wife get better soon!! A tough day for sure but better days to come.

Went hiking and had lunch on the side of the hill out of the breeze and that warm sun was so nice.

I'm debating hiking tomorrow or ranch. A cool morning, I will be able to drive in most of the way and sled supplies in for work on shallow well pump. I also have a bunch of timbers to get in there for a small addition to shop that I want to build this summer. Will put in a small wood stove for a warmup place for winter.

So, much to do and so little time. Decision decisions!! LOL

Last edited:
My number did not get called for jury duty, so this week I actually have nothing planned on the calendar until Saturday. No appointments, no shopping needed, too cold to do any garden or planting, nothing.
True retirement! Lol

I went to the County tax foreclosure auction and was the high bidder on a lot close to the lake, it has an old mobile home on it and a septic system. if it is possible to refurbish the mh I'll have a down size move in the future.

It's a beautiful Spring day here in CT, so I got the Z-3 roadster out of the garage for the first time since last September and ran a few errands. I still enjoy driving it every time.

Had an MRI today and it was great. Very friendly folks at the facility, got to listen to some good music while in the machine, and it took less time than they said it would.

One tiny thing that nagged at me was during the checkin procedure they asked about any implants I might have. Fine, and expected, but they specifically included implanted lenses after cataract surgery. They are only tiny bits of plastic, so I couldn't understand that.

I asked the MRI technician about that and she said "I have no idea. Probably something that someone thought was important long ago, and the question has never been removed. We've never seen those lenses on a scan."
:facepalm:

Had two doctor's appointments, one with the primary care doc, routine follow up, and a "prescription visit" to the doc who writes the prescription for the Oxycontin. Evidently they have to see the patient every 30 days to keep the prescription current.

On the way home I just had to try out the McDonald's app on the new cell phone. Convenient! It won't get much use since I normally only stop in there about once every other month but I thought I'd try it just to see.

First trip to a new to me dentist. Went well. He said your insurance covers once a year. If you want to come in more often a cleaning is $60. Sign me up for 3 months from now, Doc. :)

Took the new puppy to agility training. Then home for a 90 minute ride on the spin bike. Fell asleep on the couch for two hours. Surfing the web now. We were invited to a local election watch party tonight, but we both just feel like staying home.

Went to ranch and got the pit dug by hand for the new hand pump. I got it 4 feet deep and about 3 feet wide. So, by next week I hope to have the long handle pump in working order.

DH and I made the most of todays’s beautiful weather. We went to DD’s house and prepped the garden. Well, DH started right in on the gardening but I went for a bike ride first. Then I helped in the dirt.

We are co-gardening this year. For the past few years DH would prep the plot and DD would plant. But always by harvest time the weeds would take over. It’s hard to keep up when both parents work full time and there’s a toddler, house, and five acres to maintain. Now that we are close enough to make frequent trips, we can do most of the work and DD’s family can share the bounty. I’m looking forward to watching the two and a half year old learn where vegetables come from. He’s already a pro at gathering eggs from their chickens and duck.

After riding a hilly course for an hour and a half and playing in the dirt for another two hours, I’m taking the rest of the day off. Luckily there are plenty of leftovers for dinner.

The two grandnephews came over today with DW's sister (grandma) and we played with radio control cars out front (we live on the end of a court). A good time was had by all and the 7-year-old was so excited he was literally jumping. It is amazing though, how that if there are two R/C cars running around in the same general area, they will find each other and crash. Sorta like real life....:)

No damage though, they are built amazingly tough, although we did have the occasional popped-off tie rod.

The two grandnephews came over today with DW's sister (grandma) and we played with radio control cars out front (we live on the end of a court). A good time was had by all and the 7-year-old was so excited he was literally jumping. It is amazing though, how that if there are two R/C cars running around in the same general area, they will find each other and crash. Sorta like real life....:)

No damage though, they are built amazingly tough, although we did have the occasional popped-off tie rod.

That must have been a great day for them, and you.

Kids can be helpful to a "mature individual" to play with toys and not look like they have lost their marbles. :LOL:

I ordered another 12 kWh worth of lithium cells to add to the solar battery bank.

Started on the installation of 6 additional solar panels on the roof. These panels were bought quite a few months ago, and it's time to mount them before summer gets here.

More solar panels and more battery. The more the merrier. One cannot have enough of either.

Hauled ~20 5x5 8-foot timbers to ranch this morning early while it was still frozen. Picked up a old time harrow and hauled it to my new property so I can harrow in some alfalfa again this spring.
I then came home eat lunch and hikes the rest of the day.

I turned these parts into a single part and go my mill working.
After making the diagram below to help me know how it worked.
And I finished my taxes. :dance:

Attachments

• Milling Machine Switch not broken just in pieces.jpg
    Milling Machine Switch not broken just in pieces.jpg
    446.2 KB · Views: 47
  • zz4.jpg
    zz4.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 47
  • zz8.jpg
    zz8.jpg
    288.8 KB · Views: 43
  • zz5.jpg
    zz5.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 42
Woke up in Key West. So far got coffee and sitting of the balcony looking at palm trees and ocean.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom