What did you do today? - 2023/2024 version

Actually yesterday got up too late for kayaking, Went to camp. Beautiful sunny day, around 80F. Walked about in the forest for a few hours. Trees are starting to sprout buds.

Later moved some rocks in the stream for a more pleasant sound. Lunch sitting on the swing by streamside.
This morning rain, so workout is is indoors. Heading to cafe for coffee and BS session with the usual suspects.
Will figure out later what if anything to do the rest of the day.
Cheers.

DS and DGS had dinner and spent the night last night, today DS will help put together our mini greenhouse and DGS will help me repot some tomatoes and flowers to get a good start growing.

Been a busy week having fun hiking and finishing up projects. A picture of the jack pump I installed at the remote homesteaders place I bought. I installed a deep well system on a shallow well. Surprisingly everything worked out pretty well except for all the labor I put into it. Now, I will attempt to install the pitman arms, gear box and gas engine to do the pumping. I have all the stuff just need to get it setup.

Hiking in between and enjoying the spring watching the wild turkeys while I'm there.

Life is great and can't wait for each new day to get here. To much to do so little time.

Attachments

• 00000040 (3).jpg
    00000040 (3).jpg
    567.9 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_1365.jpg
    IMG_1365.jpg
    210.1 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_1324.jpg
    IMG_1324.jpg
    176.2 KB · Views: 37
^That's a good looking pump.

There was a similar pump at a farmstead about a mile from here. Neighbor bought the 120 farm. Razed the house and farm buildings. Had a huge pole barn built on the former homestead. Well pump survived the whole ordeal.

Until he put a gravel drive to the pole barn, about 3' from the pump. Lots of construction equipment, site grading and semi truck traffic must have taken it out. It's no longer there.

Our community garden opened for the season. I tilled and raked my growing beds and weeded the paths.

^That's a good looking pump.

There was a similar pump at a farmstead about a mile from here. Neighbor bought the 120 farm. Razed the house and farm buildings. Had a huge pole barn built on the former homestead. Well pump survived the whole ordeal.

Until he put a gravel drive to the pole barn, about 3' from the pump. Lots of construction equipment, site grading and semi truck traffic must have taken it out. It's no longer there.

Thanks Ronstar. It is surprising how of them are still in operation in my area. They use the gear box, arms and gas engine or use an electric motor if power is available. They are used because no power is close or too expensive to get it there. Just have to go in there every other day and fill tanks.

You take the long handle off and attach the pitman arms and engine.

The old pump was there but was on the junk pile, so I rescued it and works great.

I fired up the machine today to start slicking things off, trench a sleeve, fix the driveway approach. I had them call the 89 year old neighbor over and got him in the seat.
He had stopped by on his quad a few times to watch me work, and I knew he wanted up in the seat.
He has a 780 and a 680 Case, an IR 642 telehandler, a lumber mill, big stump grinder and all sorts of goodies.
He had never operated an excavator before :)
PXL-20230415-161837543.jpg

That bump between us and him was 1'+ higher than the rock, so I did a cut and fill slick off of that circle area. The trailer is in the way, so I will do a little bit when I go to load out.

PXL-20230415-195744865.jpg

PXL-20230415-212631893.jpg

This was the last stump and it was an iceberg!
Calibrated butt dyno had it at 3000 pounds.
PXL-20230414-003111316.jpg

It was on the edge of the area they wanted for parking his half dozen trailers.
PXL-20230415-160618721.jpg

It was pretty rough behind the tarp carport in the background. I offered to slick that off too. "No need to move the carport" giggle :)
PXL-20230415-202524059.jpg

I dressed up the driveway approach with the rock that was there.

PXL-20230415-192224025.jpg

^^^ Look at those thousand and thousand pounds of dense wood.

I try to imagine the amount of heat one gets by burning it. Some people in a freezing climate can use that.

But how to turn that into combustible pellets?

Just came back from an errand to Home Depot and a local grocery store.

Home Depot to get some planks of wood to build a tray to hold the newly acquired 12-kWh of lithium cells to add to the storage for the DIY solar power system. Grocery store to get onion and bell peppers for the chicken cacciatore I will be making soon for dinner.

Wood is expensive. Onion and bell peppers are comparatively cheap.

That's a big stump skyking! I hope you will have access to your work toys after you retire. Giving up that type of work would be tough.

Took DW and MIL to breakfast. Lots of online research looking for a knife making supply vendor, Some tv time, a long nap, and started packing for Sedona after converting one of my hiking sticks into a 2 piece that fits in luggage.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-04-16 at 8.45.43 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2023-04-16 at 8.45.43 PM.jpg
    851.9 KB · Views: 34
@skyking1, it does look kind of fun. :D

I fired up the machine today to start slicking things off, trench a sleeve, fix the driveway approach. I had them call the 89 year old neighbor over and got him in the seat.

Went to vintage motorcycle races at Willow Springs Raceway today. Cool to see the old bikes run and hear the symphony of different engine songs.

Got to test sit, kneel actually, on this sidecar rig and later watched them finish third. Here the owner demonstrates how the passenger / monkey goes through a right turn. :dance:

Not sure why the pic is sideways or how to fix it. :confused:

Attachments

• IMG_1060.jpg
    IMG_1060.jpg
    885.7 KB · Views: 39
That's a big stump skyking! I hope you will have access to your work toys after you retire. Giving up that type of work would be tough.
I have already OMY'ed. The plan is to do some part-time work after I start the pension, so I don't have to go cold turkey on it. :)

Bought some groceries this morning and confirmed the rumor that Kroger has finally thrown in the towel and is accepting Apple Pay at the register. I paid with my watch, and was delighted that I didn't have to fish my wallet out of my pocket.

Then got home and confirmed the other rumor that the Apple savings account is now active with Goldman Sachs. I set mine up with just four or five taps on my phone, and instead of sitting in Apple Cash, whatever I earn from purchases will immediately start getting 4.15% interest. Not wonderful, but certainly nice.

Learned that you apparently can no longer just buy a can of Swiss Coffee paint off the shelf. You have to get them to mix the tint into the base. Also the prices have gone Cuckoo since I last bought paint.

Actually yesterday: I did a complete freezers cleanout, basement and fridge freezer. Reorganized freezers and brought a freezer inventory up to date. Only had to throw a few things out, but I do need to use a lot of cooked chicken soon!

I vow to keep my freezer inventory up to date! One of the most effective ways to save money.

....I do need to use a lot of cooked chicken soon.

Normal chicken breasts are too large for the young wife and me, so we always have leftover cooked chicken. Last night, I made chicken salad for dinner from chicken I grilled two days ago. Other things we do with leftover cooked chicken: quesadillas, tacos, stir fry, regular green leafy salads with chicken, mix with barbecue sauce for sandwiches, chicken and rice soup.

Had friends call and say they are at the coast in Newport OR for a week, so packing and getting ready to drive out to visit. Love retirement, no plans and last minute fun!

Packed a box of food and shipped it to Venezuela.

Drove about three hours to Charlottesville, VA for a Dr. appointment tomorrow. This is the electrophysiologist who did the cardiac ablation here about eight years ago and he wants to see me every year for a checkup and EKG. Since it takes only one fool on I-81 to tie up traffic for the rest of the day and make me miss the appointment we drive down the day before and stay in a hotel. After the checkup we drive back and eat lunch at a favorite Mexican restaurant in Front Royal, VA that we stumbled across about five years ago.

We'd be regulars at that restaurant except that it's an hour and a half from home and that's too far to go for just lunch.

Had friends call and say they are at the coast in Newport OR for a week, so packing and getting ready to drive out to visit. Love retirement, no plans and last minute fun!

Excellent plan!
We honeymooned in Newport, 28 years ago. There is no shortage of cool stuff to do and look at on the Oregon coast.

Excellent plan!
We honeymooned in Newport, 28 years ago. There is no shortage of cool stuff to do and look at on the Oregon coast.

Back when I was doing long distance running, I did the Newport Marathon a few times. One of the most fun small races anywhere.

After the checkup we drive back and eat lunch at a favorite Mexican restaurant in Front Royal, VA that we stumbled across about five years ago.

We'd be regulars at that restaurant except that it's an hour and a half from home and that's too far to go for just lunch.

While you're in town, you should hit up Spelunkers for some excellent frozen custard. We drive down there (hour and a half) with the family occasionally for lunch. Great burgers and dogs too. But the ice cream is our real reason. They do a flavor of today. Fat Elvis is a killer. But mostly I like just chocolate or vanilla. Mmmm. Just the thing before seeing the doctor.

In the midst of several days of yard work. Mowed the lawn for the first time in 2023. Removed 10 ornamental grasses and transplanted snowball bushes from a different location. Took a break and cleaned the garage, my workshop and the side by side. And looked at some small farm properties.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom