What We're Making

I had 2 raspberry pi's, a 7" monitor and a 21" monitor that I used do some simple python apps on. I found an app on GitHub https://github.com/genebean/PiWeatherRock for a raspberry pi weather display using an online weather source.

So loaded it on my pi with 7" monitor. 7" has current weather, 4 hour hourly forecast and 4 hour daily forecast.

And then recoded the app to work on my 21" monitor. It has current weather, 7 hour and 7 day forecasts. Put the 7" on my desk and 21" out in my workshop.

Very cool Ronstar. I also know the Python coding language so we have more in common than I thought. I havent picked up a Pi. I considered it but hard to find time to do this.

Been wanted to make a few weather vanes from some old water windmill blades I have. So I finally got around to it and made a pattern and cut them out and assembled. I just need to tack weld the bolt to the main frame and done. I was wondering how the best way to make the pivot point rotating part but they seem to work good how I built them. I have one that I made the tail end larger and will take that one to the ranch.

Attachments

• IMG_3873.jpg
    IMG_3873.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 98
I just thought you all might find it funny that I've avoided looking at this thread for 3 years because I thought people were bragging about how much money they were making...

Been wanted to make a few weather vanes from some old water windmill blades I have.

I think old weathervanes are cool. We have one from the farm where DW grew up (house was built in 1830) that has a bullet hole in it. The story is that it got there when Morgan's Raiders came through and stole their horses during the Civil War. No idea if that's really when it got shot, but the theft is documented so it might be true.

Interesting Story! We had one as a kid and old weather wind vane but it disappeared. I really like to watch them for some reason. LOL
These I make are just simple and nothing fancy but work well, and always appreciate building my own.

Cool weather vane, Street! Very unique old school look.

I have a weather vane on the roof of my workshop, but it’s not as cool as yours.

I’m currently reading The Gift: How the Creative Spirit Transforms the World (Lewis Hyde). In it, he notes that the Shakers believed “persons who strove to become receptive of songs, dances, paintings and so forth were said to be “laboring for a gift” and the works that they created circulated as gifts within the community.” I loved this because it is helping me consider the substantial intrinsic value of creativity....

Like Ronstar, my dh loves the tool chests made by Gerstners. As this point, he has not purchased one tho.

Recently he bought a drill press and needed a chest to anchor it on. After toiling over the design, cutting, sanding, staining, etc, he finished it today. He says it has 'rustic charm'. :ermm: I think it looks fine. :)

Attachments

• DSC01337 - Copy.JPG
    DSC01337 - Copy.JPG
    286.4 KB · Views: 76
Very nice, bbbami! Your DH has built a fine drill press stand/ chest. I like the unique design and solid construction. You can never have too many shelves and drawers around when you’re using a drill press. And it’s on wheels - very convenient!

I finally finished the shelves below my tap system in my basement bar. I put that off for about two years for some reason. I'm glad to have it done now.

MVIMG_20200205_191158-1581951053261-X2.jpg

Very nice, bbbami! Your DH has built a fine drill press stand/ chest. I like the unique design and solid construction. You can never have too many shelves and drawers around when you’re using a drill press. And it’s on wheels - very convenient!
He appreciates the compliment. :) Now, if I could just get him to install dividers in my kitchen drawers....

------------

Wow, dirtbiker...great looking bar!

Lots of good building/crafting going on here. I like to do mechanical things around the house and with vehicles so that drill press looks good! Basement wet bar - also very cool! I wish I could hang out with you folks in person.

DW and I are attending the annual Airstream Club rally this summer in Loveland, CO. The president of the club asked DW to come up with an idea for centerpieces for the Disco Dance Party night. Imagine 100's of old-farts thinking they know how to dance (trying to dance!) while a local band plays Gloria Gaynor, Cool & The Gang, Donna Summer, etc. It's gonna be fun.

So here's the prototype for the centerpiece. Airstreamers like flamingos...

Attachments

• IMG_3238.jpg
    IMG_3238.jpg
    431.8 KB · Views: 53
  • Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    19.8 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:
took advantage of the 80 degree day here in Austin TX.
applied final coat of paint to a garden bench I made from a bunch of old 2x4's and 1 2x6 for the back legs.
ran the boards thru the planer to clean them up a bit and cut down
on the amount of sanding. Two days total project build.
.IMG_7612.jpg

He appreciates the compliment. :) Now, if I could just get him to install dividers in my kitchen drawers....

Maybe this will push him along. The dividers sold in stores, even the adjustable ones, all seem to leave a lot of unused drawer space so started building these using some scrap poplar, have a couple more to go.

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    499.8 KB · Views: 46
  • 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    623.1 KB · Views: 44
Maybe this will push him along. The dividers sold in stores, even the adjustable ones, all seem to leave a lot of unused drawer space so started building these using some scrap poplar, have a couple more to go.

Those are nice. Do you put a bottom in them or just use the drawer bottom? Also, how are you making the joints?

Those are nice. Do you put a bottom in them or just use the drawer bottom? Also, how are you making the joints?

I thought about putting a bottom on them but tried it first by cutting some plastic drawer liners to size and liked it that way, it gives a snug fit on the bottom so nothing slides under the dividers. For the joints I used rabbet joints on the outside corners and dados on everything else, also used brads on the joints but probably not needed, glue alone should have been enough.

Last edited:
took advantage of the 80 degree day here in Austin TX.
applied final coat of paint to a garden bench I made from a bunch of old 2x4's and 1 2x6 for the back legs.
ran the boards thru the planer to clean them up a bit and cut down
on the amount of sanding. Two days total project build.]

That is a great color. Is it enamel paint or just lots of coats ?

Oh, those are very nice! :flowers:

He has made dividers for one drawer, but there are only three sections as all the utensils are long. Making one for the other kitchen drawers will be more complicated. Hmmm...might have to make some fudge to umm, nudge him along...:angel:

Last edited:
DW and I are attending the annual Airstream Club rally this summer in Loveland, CO. The president of the club asked DW to come up with an idea for centerpieces for the Disco Dance Party night. Imagine 100's of old-farts thinking they know how to dance (trying to dance!) while a local band plays Gloria Gaynor, Cool & The Gang, Donna Summer, etc. It's gonna be fun.

So here's the prototype for the centerpiece. Airstreamers like flamingos...

Super cute! Great design for the event. I bet you could raise some $$ for the club kitty by selling them afterwards!

That is a great color. Is it enamel paint or just lots of coats ?

Thanks! I sprayed 2 coats of primer and 2 coats of paint.
Prior to being deployed on the patio I will put 2 coats of johnson paste wax on it. It being pine - I'm sure I'll only get a few years of use out of it - but I had the old 2x4's laying around and got tired of looking at them. So...

This was the 2019 Block-of-the-Month quilt from my local shop. It’s a loss leader: complete January’s block before the February class and the February block is free, etc.

I didn’t have anyone in mind while I was making it, but now that it’s finished I plan on taking it to my mom when I go to help her at home after a TKR at the end of March. It’s too small to go on a bed, but plenty large enough for couch napping. Adjustments.JPG

Back
Top Bottom