What We're Making

Wow! Beautiful tray.

Nice. I like the taper of the tops of handles. Did you cut the taper on the table saw before shaping the corners?

Yes, that caught my eye too. It really adds interest to the piece. Subtle, really nice.

And while I sort of cringe at painting wood - I just really like the grain and changes in depth with a natural or nicely stained/dyed finish - I've done rattle can black on a few items, and was really happy with how they turned out. Looks great on this as well.

-ERD50

Thanks. The tapers took some thought. I didn't want to rip the taper for the thickness on each end piece - didn't seem safe ripping a 3" wide board on an angle vertically. So I started with a 6" wide board being both sides as one board. First drilled the handle holes with a forstner bit, then jigsaw and router the hand holes.

Then I cut the thickness tapers ripping the board vertically on the table saw - tapers left and right on both sides because it was both sides connected - total 4 tapers. Then I cut the 4 horizontal tapers on the table saw. Then ripped the 6" wide board down the middle to make 2 - 3" tall end pieces. Then rounded over the pieces by sanding.

Hope that makes sense. SIL has a similar tray and wanted another somewhat like it - so I just copied the taper idea from her old tray.

Thanks. The tapers took some thought. I didn't want to rip the taper for the thickness on each end piece - didn't seem safe ripping a 3" wide board on an angle vertically. So I started with a 6" wide board being both sides as one board. First drilled the handle holes with a forstner bit, then jigsaw and router the hand holes.

Then I cut the thickness tapers ripping the board vertically on the table saw - tapers left and right on both sides because it was both sides connected - total 4 tapers. Then I cut the 4 horizontal tapers on the table saw. Then ripped the 6" wide board down the middle to make 2 - 3" tall end pieces. Then rounded over the pieces by sanding.

Hope that makes sense. SIL has a similar tray and wanted another somewhat like it - so I just copied the taper idea from her old tray.

Yep, totally followed you. Agree that it is a cringe worthy cut...

I was a little bored on another sweltering day and knocked out a customer laundry table top with shelf...

Attachments

• IMG_20220724_130905088.jpg
    IMG_20220724_130905088.jpg
    557.8 KB · Views: 52
Those are some beautiful pieces of work folks!! I always appreciate you posting your work.

Yep, totally followed you. Agree that it is a cringe worthy cut...

I was a little bored on another sweltering day and knocked out a customer laundry table top with shelf...

^Nice! Good job on the rounded edge banding.

+1 I'm curious about that curved edge banding. It looks to be pretty thick (3/16"?) not just a veneer edge. How did you get that tight curve?

-ERD50

+1 I'm curious about that curved edge banding. It looks to be pretty thick (3/16"?) not just a veneer edge. How did you get that tight curve?

-ERD50

Here's the installation pic. It's just standard glued edge banding. Putting a 2" diameter is a fairly easy way to conform the banding...

The raised area is to clear & clean up the water lines, drain & dryer power.

Attachments

• IMG_20220725_152602122_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220725_152602122_HDR.jpg
    369.6 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
A little change of pace from the great woodworking and construction posts - I knitted this sweater!

B767035F-0DB0-4A64-A9BC-73232E9CC1D3_1_201_a.jpeg

676B73EA-CADC-4195-8BE4-D4D52A031C09_1_201_a.jpg

It's my first major "colorwork" (also known as Fair Isle) piece and I'm really pleased with how it turned out. It's a cotton and alpaca blend yarn so it's perfect for Texas summers. I picked the accent colors to coordinate with the skirt, but I think it will look even better with denim.

^Wow! - very nice. I'm stunned that people can take a bunch of yarn and produce a sweater like you've made with all of that detail.

Nice sweater!
DW has a friend who decided to knit a Fair Isle sweater for her very first knitting project. It is still a source of great mirth.

A little change of pace from the great woodworking and construction posts - I knitted this sweater!

View attachment 43136

View attachment 43137

It's my first major "colorwork" (also known as Fair Isle) piece and I'm really pleased with how it turned out. It's a cotton and alpaca blend yarn so it's perfect for Texas summers. I picked the accent colors to coordinate with the skirt, but I think it will look even better with denim.

WOW! Those are beautiful!!! The colors are magnificent and what talent you have. Thanks for sharing.

OfficeSpace, that is an awesome project and looks great. I bet there will be many fun times at the pool. Beautiful!!!

Made an Ulu a token of friendship and appreciation for a guy that I bought the ranch from. The knife is anything but perfect and crude in many ways but is handmade and a gift from the heart. The land was homesteaded by his family back in the homestead act era.

I have always been appreciative of his willingness to share/sell a huge part of their family history. I will get the knife in the mail today.

I made it from found wood. It is a diamond willow nugget. The diamond willow has an interesting life in how the diamonds are created. It is a fungus that makes the diamonds in the wood. It can take 10 to 20 years for these processes to happen. The willow to get this size and to have the diamonds takes many years. This wood I use have been dead for over 35 years already who knows how long before that.

Attachments

• IMG_9955.jpg
    IMG_9955.jpg
    136 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:
Made an Ulu a token of friendship and appreciation for a guy that I bought the ranch from. The knife is anything but perfect and crude in many ways but is handmade and a gift from the heart. The land was homesteaded by his family back in the homestead act era.

I have always been appreciative of his willingness to share/sell a huge part of their family history. I will get it in the knife in the mail today.

I made it from found wood. It is a diamond willow nugget. The diamond willow has an interesting life in how the diamonds are created. It is a fungus that makes the diamonds in the wood. It can take 10 to 20 years for these processes to happen. The willow to get this size and to have the diamonds takes many years. This wood I use have been dead for over 35 years already who knows how long before that.

Superb! Your artistic skills are incredible!

Well, thank you Ronstar!

What an interesting range of talents folks have here.
Thanks for sharing all of your projects. They are all beautiful.

Made my daughter a pair of speakers for ger 21st birthday. These will pair with the pre amp i helped her make last spring.

Speaker drivers are fostex. Veneer is red fir.

Attachments

• 16599714397428451391752578900970.jpg
    16599714397428451391752578900970.jpg
    578.7 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:
^Nicely done!

Thanks, Ronstar. I have minimal woodworking experience. A good friend let me borrow his shop and expertise.

Planing down the fir to make into veneer took forever!

We both learned a few lessons about the challenges of working with fir.

Thanks, Ronstar. I have minimal woodworking experience. A good friend let me borrow his shop and expertise.

Planing down the fir to make into veneer took forever!

We both learned a few lessons about the challenges of working with fir.

Do you do anything special to the inside of the speakers to make them sound better? Some kind of coating or is the inside just bare wood?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom