What We're Making

I put together a stand for my Dillon XL650 reloader tooheads this weekend:

MVIMG_20200224_231244-X4.jpg

Why the blue color? Well, it matches the Dillon blue reloader color

MVIMG_20200224_231149-X4.jpg

This was the 2019 Block-of-the-Month quilt from my local shop. It’s a loss leader: complete January’s block before the February class and the February block is free, etc.

I didn’t have anyone in mind while I was making it, but now that it’s finished I plan on taking it to my mom when I go to help her at home after a TKR at the end of March. It’s too small to go on a bed, but plenty large enough for couch napping. View attachment 33960

Beautiful quilt. I love the choice of colors & patterns.

^ nice looking project! But your shop is too clean and organized!

Isn't this a bit of the pot calling the kettle black? I seem to remember thinking the same thing every time I've seem pictures of your shop. Now, if you want chaos, I'll take a picture of my garage/work area when I get back up north.

Well, in your walking stick video your shop looked pretty normal/messy. I guess for the other pictures you cleaned up the area before taking the picture.

Last edited:
Isn't this a bit of the pot calling the kettle black? I seem to remember thinking the same thing every time I've seem pictures of your shop. Now, if you want chaos, I'll take a picture of my garage/work area when I get back up north.

Well, in your walking stick video your shop looked pretty normal/messy. I guess for the other pictures you cleaned up the area before taking the picture.

Yes - Like dirtbiker, I normally only take photos when it's clean. The walking sticks tend to really mess it up - lots of chaos. And I like chaos so post some of yours when you get back!

Bought a Mini Gerstner tool chest about a month ago. Used it to gather ideas to make my own replica - only bigger. Had some leftover maple, walnut and mahogany laying around, so I ordered the Gerstner hardware and made my own. Maple drawer sides, walnut drawer fronts, mahogany chest sides and back.

Attachments

• DC8587FC-8F2F-47B7-BE8C-0F3E309329CD.jpg
    DC8587FC-8F2F-47B7-BE8C-0F3E309329CD.jpg
    650.6 KB · Views: 101
Bought a Mini Gerstner tool chest about a month ago. Used it to gather ideas to make my own replica - only bigger. Had some leftover maple, walnut and mahogany laying around, so I ordered the Gerstner hardware and made my own. Maple drawer sides, walnut drawer fronts, mahogany chest sides and back.

bravo Sir - nicely done!
Where did you order the Gerstner type hardware from?

Where's the like button?

Beautiful work. :)

Face masks ready to go to the donation location. When I ran out of elastic I started making fabric ties. The local quilt shop is expecting to receive more elastic today, I’ll try to get some.

I’ve developed a rhythm and refined the method so I can make 4-5 an hour. Adjustments.JPG

Face masks ready to go to the donation location. When I ran out of elastic I started making fabric ties. The local quilt shop is expecting to receive more elastic today, I’ll try to get some.

I’ve developed a rhythm and refined the method so I can make 4-5 an hour. View attachment 34307

That is awesome! Thanks

Beautiful work, as usual!

Philliefan, Great job. I've seen other people making them and I'm curious, is it one size fits all? It's so nice you can help out.

Philliefan, Great job. I've seen other people making them and I'm curious, is it one size fits all? It's so nice you can help out.

Pretty much one size fits most. Masks with elastic are easier to put on but the masks with ties give a more custom fit. I’ve settled on making masks a bit larger than the original pattern I was using, so they fit better over an N95 mask.

I’ve made almost 70 masks. Two I’ve kept because I had to try them on to make sure they would fit. I sent four to my parents. The rest I donated to be used in the EMS / healthcare system as needed.

I had decided to pause mask making and go back to my quilt making, but I got a message this morning from a young man I work with at my summer gig. He asked if I could make three masks for his mother who works in a hospital. I don’t know if she asked for them or if he is just worried about her, but regardless I will make masks for her. If nothing else it will make the young man feel like he is taking care of his mother.

On the late news tonight there seems to be a movement to having everyone wear a mask when we leave home. If this becomes the norm I expect more requests for masks.

Smoked beef ribs. Used a rub made from stuff found in the kitchen cabinet, mainly Atkins bar-b-q rub+pork/chicken rub+garlic powder. Smoked for 1.5 hours with a few wet oak logs on charcoal. Then added a brown sugar rub and wrapped in foil with some apple juice poured into the foil packets the ribs were wrapped in. Put in the oven at 350 to finish cooking for 2.5 hours.

They came out tender, moist and delicious!20200401_205753.jpeg

Pretty much one size fits most. Masks with elastic are easier to put on but the masks with ties give a more custom fit. I’ve settled on making masks a bit larger than the original pattern I was using, so they fit better over an N95 mask.

I’ve made almost 70 masks. Two I’ve kept because I had to try them on to make sure they would fit. I sent four to my parents. The rest I donated to be used in the EMS / healthcare system as needed.

I had decided to pause mask making and go back to my quilt making, but I got a message this morning from a young man I work with at my summer gig. He asked if I could make three masks for his mother who works in a hospital. I don’t know if she asked for them or if he is just worried about her, but regardless I will make masks for her. If nothing else it will make the young man feel like he is taking care of his mother.

On the late news tonight there seems to be a movement to having everyone wear a mask when we leave home. If this becomes the norm I expect more requests for masks.

Thank you for making masks - great way to help! I saw a FB post from a nurse today requesting that people use different fabric for the inside vs outside so they can tell which way to put it on. Once worn, they can be reworn if easy to tell which side was worn inside,

Back
Top Bottom