What We're Making

Maintaining a 37 year old C4 corvette , deep surgery to get at and replace aging brittle window motor plastic drive belt/chain. Where would I find someone to do this for me:confused: It's an apple culture.

http://www.coursebeta.com/making4-34.png

making4-34.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Refinished a table and whipped up another hiking stick

Attachments

• IMG_9059.jpg
    IMG_9059.jpg
    350.2 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_9062.JPG
    IMG_9062.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 34
Wow! Tables like great and so does the walking stick.

Finished up a kitchen refacing & backsplash for a client.

Attachments

• IMG_20210403_135225.jpg
    IMG_20210403_135225.jpg
    442 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_20210403_135245.jpg
    IMG_20210403_135245.jpg
    419.8 KB · Views: 34
Made 3 floating shelves in white oak for a client's bathroom and added a shelf w/drawer to my pantry with all the extra Covid food hoarding...

Attachments

• IMG_20210414_163721.jpg
    IMG_20210414_163721.jpg
    632.7 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_20210414_105204.jpg
    IMG_20210414_105204.jpg
    533.8 KB · Views: 52
Racked

I'm building a little extension to my deck, but I have a question for the DIY folks here.

I have built the turquoise addition (not the stairs, yet, just the four boards, plus the post and supports. But I have discovered that the existing deck not coming out perpendicular to the house. So the corner where you see 116 15/16 on the diagram, it's really 2 1/4 inches to the right of where it would be if it were at a 90 degree from the house. So it appears I'll be adding parallelogram, not a rectangle.

There's the possibility of putting a space between the brown (existing deck) and turquoise (new deck) on the west outer part of the new deck (Steve is on the east). This would make the new deck really rectangular, but I'm not sure if that's really buying me anything. I'll be hanging the deck boards over and sawing them all off, so I'm inclined not to try to correct the racking, but figured I'd throw it out there to see if anyone has any advice.

Attachments

• DeckExtenstion.JPG
    DeckExtenstion.JPG
    233.3 KB · Views: 65
Doesn't sound like a problem to me as long as the deck boards are parallel with the house. I wouldn't try to correct it. Just run the decking over the edge a little and trim to the end board as you said. That 2" from perpendicular won't be noticeable.

I agree. You're the only one who will know that the deck isn't square, and if you're like me you'll forget about it within a couple of years.

Doesn't sound like a problem to me as long as the deck boards are parallel with the house. I wouldn't try to correct it. Just run the decking over the edge a little and trim to the end board as you said. That 2" from perpendicular won't be noticeable.

I agree with what Ron said, also.

I don't know how to build any of this but it would worry me a little that I might want some kind of steel brace or something made for right angles and it wouldn't fit.

Attachments

• corner-braces.jpg
    corner-braces.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
I agree. You're the only one who will know that the deck isn't square, and if you're like me you'll forget about it within a couple of years.

Or if you're like me you'll notice it every time you see it. But nobody else will, so I agree, just continue what's already there. I've never done a project where there wasn't some little imperfection that bugged me. Just life as an OCD perfectionist.

Or if you're like me you'll notice it every time you see it. But nobody else will, so I agree, just continue what's already there. I've never done a project where there wasn't some little imperfection that bugged me. Just life as an OCD perfectionist.

This. One of the joys of getting older is learning to just let the little things go sometimes.

(coming from a guy who's been known in the past to open up walls to straighten out electrical boxes.. :()

Thanks, All, for the advice on the not-quite-square deck. I'll put the deck boards on parallel to the house and when done, the problem will not be apparent (or only apparent to me, lol!)

Thanks, All, for the advice on the not-quite-square deck. I'll put the deck boards on parallel to the house and when done, the problem will not be apparent (or only apparent to me, lol!)

Hopefully you can let it go that it's off by 2 1/4 inches.
Seems like the logical solution. If you had put a spacer in as you mentioned it would also skew your stairs slightly and your turquoise post may go out of plumb which would be more noticeable than your original problem.
I struggle with these issues every time I do a project. This morning I am trying to resolve a slightly out of plumb shower wall before I tile it. Drove myself crazy the last few days trying to move trim as little as 1/8 of an inch or less.:LOL::LOL:

Made a small box to hold my misc hardware. It's a prototype for building my niece something to hold her fishing fly making materials.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-04-23 at 10.43.01 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2021-04-23 at 10.43.01 AM.jpg
    591.7 KB · Views: 56
  • Screen Shot 2021-04-23 at 10.42.40 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2021-04-23 at 10.42.40 AM.jpg
    606.6 KB · Views: 52
  • Screen Shot 2021-04-23 at 10.42.22 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2021-04-23 at 10.42.22 AM.jpg
    616.5 KB · Views: 53
Made a small box to hold my misc hardware. It's a prototype for building my niece something to hold her fishing fly making materials.

That'll make a great fly tying storage bench. Can you put a nice top on it which she can attach her vise to and make it double duty?

Nice. But you might want to wipe that hot dog mustard off your hands before taking the picture. Looks like you got a little bit on the camera lens.

But seriously, that's a sweet box. Nice design. Does the top open? It looks like wasted space, but would be good for a tray.

Last edited:
RonStar, you are pretty darn handy. Looks great!

That'll make a great fly tying storage bench. Can you put a nice top on it which she can attach her vise to and make it double duty?

Should be able to put a vise on top of it. I'll tell her its possible if she wants it that way.

Nice. But you might want to wipe that hot dog mustard off your hands before taking the picture. Looks like you got a little bit on the camera lens.

But seriously, that's a sweet box. Nice design. Does the top open? It looks like wasted space, but would be good for a tray.

Geesh - these photos have a white balance issue. Yep I screwed up - My original plan was for a hinged top with a shelf to use the space between the plastic bins and the top of the box. But I had just enough plywood to make it as is. So I made it without the shelf - and later found out that my wood store sells 15"x15" pieces of plywood. Oh well - next time - this was just a prototype for me to fine tune the design.

RonStar, you are pretty darn handy. Looks great!
Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom