with fall comes a new routine - what are you looking forward to?

retiringat50

Recycles dryer sheets
Very new at early retirement. Think each season will give me a different routine. Not like Im going to a friends pool in the winter!

What are you looking forward to in the fall? apple picking? day trips w/no crowds? vacation? hikes w/less heat?

Ding ding ding!

We were just looking at the weather report for the next 5 days and it was 94 95 92 92 90 and we both said "wow, cool weather!"

Don't Laugh! I look forward to Fantasy Football every year in the fall. I've been doing it for nearly 15 years now. I'm in one league with former co-workers (the good ones) and another one with family. To do it well it takes up a lot of time, but Football is my favorite sport anyway.

TSW (Tiny Sailing Wench) is starting daycare this fall (she is almost two).
I want to figure out how to take 4 kids to school/daycare on my bike.
Tests, earlier this Spring were only moderately successful:
img_694809_0_ce7633d14f81f035344df7b474b03afb.jpg

img_694809_1_efecbbf01f0f2ad8a1d830a45ac48e82.jpg

I finally got to where it's in the 80s! The warmer weather is nice. Hey - you mean summers almost over? He he - not in TX - summer lasts till November (but I haven't gotten back to TX yet, still in OR).

The thing I look forward to most as the summer comes to a close is way less vacationers - the campgrounds start to empty out. Not nearly so much competition for the good places.

Audrey

Usually I look forward to cozy fires in the woodstove in the fall. But this summer's been so cool that we've had to have a fire almost every day. 64 in the living room this morning, and I'm in front of the fire now.

People who are FIRE'd don't take vacations, they take trips.:D:D:D:D

We'll probably start checking the net for travel bargains for travel after the middle of October when the gardens, are ready for winter.

I look forward to apple season. We pick at an orchard by my MILs and I usually turn two bushels into canned apple pie filling and apple sauce.

I also like the disappearance of the tourists in our town and a return to a slower pace. The sky clears up and isn't as hazy, and the light is golden longer. Lovely.

My oldest starts preschool this fall, and I'm REALLY looking forward to that, and to some alone time with my youngest.

I'm looking forward to returning to univesity (USF) again in the fall, to study (for life enrichment purposes) Spanish and be among all the younger kids who impart their vitality to me (e.g. I'm a mid-40s dirty old man >:D who likes checking out the young ladies -- full disclosure offered here!)

Usually I look forward to cozy fires in the woodstove in the fall. But this summer's been so cool that we've had to have a fire almost every day. 64 in the living room this morning, and I'm in front of the fire now.

Thats incredible. Looks like the Pacific N.W. will be a good place to visit one day during August. Maybe the entire month of August.:)

As far as Fall is concerned, I'm just looking forward to cooler golf weather and college football.

TSW (Tiny Sailing Wench) is starting daycare this fall (she is almost two).
I want to figure out how to take 4 kids to school/daycare on my bike.
Tests, earlier this Spring were only moderately successful:
img_694952_0_ce7633d14f81f035344df7b474b03afb.jpg

img_694952_1_efecbbf01f0f2ad8a1d830a45ac48e82.jpg

No helmet on the littlest one, tsk, tsk!!

Definatly wood stove fires and football. We snow SKIIED thanksgiving last year ... expect to do the same this year.

In the Fall I get a break in the action as far as the gardens go....I just let 'em fade away until Spring. (I don't do Fall 'clean up' in the gardens....I just let things self-compost over the Winter, and then clear the leftovers in March & April.

And since there's NO gardening going on then, I look forward to [-]vacations[/-] trips!!! I'm heading for the Northeast in October.....my folks used to go out there every year to visit relatives, and then they'd work their way up to Maine to a little, out of the way motel right on the ocean where they'd just sit and watch the waves and relax. I haven't been out that way, so I'm going to check it out this year with a group I travel with frequently.......that way I don't have to deal with relatives either! ;)

After that I've got a bunch of day trips here-n-there, then we head off to San Antonio for a week. Staying at the Menger Hotel across the street from the Alamo....we were there 2 or 3 years ago and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves....especially all of the food and the Riverwalk!!! When we return home from there, we prepare to hibernate until we leave for Florida in February. During the hibernation period I'll spend most of my time working on my railroad layout, and planning & plotting for Spring gardening!

Heck, Fall isn't even here yet, and I'm already looking forward to Spring......Gardening, plus a bunch more trips to go on!!!:D

Since DW is a recovering educator who could never travel in the Fall, we intentionally go some place where there are no school-age people. This year it's Alaska & the Yukon; more than our usual jaunt, but it'll take care of at least 3 things on the Bucket List.

After that, autumn becomes a time of preparation for winter; putting water toys away, avoiding putting the boat away until mid-October - some of our best boating weather is as the leaves change - then bringing the dock & hoist out of the water, and storing enough nuts and berries to last us until Spring. Some autumn golf, a coupla wine tours, line up indoor projects (this year, one will be converting the vinyl, cassettes & even a reel-to-reel tape to MP3 files), and planning a couple of trips "anywhere south" for early '09.

Goonie - the Menger Hotel was a great choice when we were in SAT two year' ago. Right across the street from the Alamo, and don't miss the ice cream store on the corner.

Attachments

• AlamoAtNight.jpg
    AlamoAtNight.jpg
    590.5 KB · Views: 0
this autumn i might do another leaf peeping trip on the blue ridge parkway (did it two years ago & loved it) and then head up to jersey to see family & friends. it will be nice to be able to put the top down again, since we still have more than two months here left of summer.

Goonie - the Menger Hotel was a great choice when we were in SAT two year' ago. Right across the street from the Alamo, and don't miss the ice cream store on the corner.
We enjoyed our stay at the Menger....really enjoyed breakfast in their restaurant....all sorts of goodies to choose from, and the 'made to order' omelets. Spent some free time in the Menger Bar sipping cold beverages and people watching.

Enjoyed a couple of late evening carriage rides. In fact one evening around 10-10:30pm I was out walking past the carriage area, and I got talking to one of the drivers, and she said climb on board and have a seat. So up I go, figuring we're just going sit and chat until a paying customer came along......She tells her horse to move ahead, and off we go for a ride! She was the best guide that I'd had while I'd been there (had 3 or 4 different ones), she pointed out stuff that the others hadn't bother to......and we chatted in between. It's normally about a 25-30 minute ride....we were gone for just shy of an hour. When we got back to the carriage stop, I grabbed for my wallet to pay, and she said "No charge....business was slow and I was tired of just sitting listening to the other drivers' drivel." I still gave her a $15 or $20 tip......she deserved it.

Oh, and we would never miss the ice cream shop......we hit it a few times! We also ate on the riverwalk at the "Republic of Texas Restaurant", as well as another one down there that I don't remember the name of right at the moment, and a few other local places.

The thing I liked best about San Antonio when we were there......it wasn't snowing there like it was back here at home!!! :D

I hate winter...

It will be interesting to see how this winter goes without having to work:confused:

I have been giving it some thought...

Im thinking Im gonna sell my old 2 wheel drive truck and try to find a good deal on a 4 wheel drive truck.

Their going pretty cheap with fuel prices lately.

I wouldn't even mind a fixer upper, my hobby is working on old cars.

Then I want to put a plow on it and be a snowplow guy and work for cash^-^

I enjoy the fall I guess, but Its pretty short then everything dies and winter sets in:(

Hell this is depressing, we still have two months of summer left:D

Bowhunting!

Nothing like taking to the woods in the crisp predawn hours and climbing up a tree to await one's quarry. Lots of quality reading and journaling time. Sometimes I get so relaxed its easier to watch the deer walk by and save the harvest for another day.

Plus, fall season is not complete without a good snooze in a swaying tree (safely harnessed in of course).

Lazy, the Blue Ridge Parkway is wonderful!

For me, my fall activity will be hiking. I love to do this, but 95 degree, humid weather in Atlanta really diminishes my enjoyment of it. Hopefully next month, the weather will be more conducive for it. I even joined a Meetgroup for women who hike (DH is a little peeved about this, since it is discriminatory towards men, but he really wouldn't "get" the concept of this group---that it is more about the journey and the socializing than the destination or aerobic exercise).

And fall cooking: more soups and chilis!

change from yard work to woodworking & reading
change from running outdoors to treadmill
change from biking to hiking
change from driving corvette to jeep
change from "the White Sox" to "Da Bears"
not looking forward to putting boat away, but looking forward to more atv rides

What are you looking forward to in the fall? apple picking? day trips w/no crowds? vacation? hikes w/less heat?

• Apple picking - yes
  • Watching the Red Sox in the ALDS/ALCS/World Series
  • Hiking without the bugs and mosquitos
  • Driving around and looking at the fall leaves
  • Resuming a volunteer activity that I essentially don't do in the summer
  • Trading in the summer uniform (shorts and tee- shirts) for the fall/winter one (jeans and a flannel shirt)
  • Day trips w/no crowds - yes
  • Crisp, fall weather
  • One or two local Div III college football games (the way college football was meant to be) vs. huge stadiums and over the top tail-gating

Back
Top Bottom