Don't Feed the GDed Trolls

Well now - I must speak out!

The awarder may be gone - but the awardee is still here!

You guys can have my Curmudgeon Certificate when you pry it out of my cold dead fingers.

So there :p.

heh heh heh heh heh heh eh! - this thread has been going on so long - I thought I'd jump in and say something totally irrelavent. :D :rolleyes::cool:

Perhaps. I guess I value irreverence more than hostile confrontation. Maybe that's what I miss about this place. It used to be funny and irreverent. Now, there seems to be more open hostility and grudge matches, and I'm just trying to point to possible root causes and fix them.

I know I'm tilting at windmills, though. How many more post do I get, AndyR? :)

Now this is a good point. I like irreverence as well and dislike hostile confrontation. We may draw the line in different places as to what is irreverent and what is hostile. :)

Maybe irreverence was easier when the board was newer and smaller. I miss that flavor as well. Though a few masters of the irreverent are still around and still make me smile.

Hostility? Man, I don't know. The hostility temperature seems to go up and down. CFB recently mentioned how hostile some other forums can get and gave some examples that make us look like angels.

Maybe after a certain point the whole online experience leaves us wanting.

What was this thread about again? :D. It's all good people. I think there are a lot of good, smart people on here that I wish I knew on a personal level. Having exchanges with them on a regular basis makes a few negative members/posts seem trivial. I suppose it is what you make of it but to me the positives far outweigh the negatives.

You almost had me

Perhaps. I guess I value irreverence more than hostile confrontation. Maybe that's what I miss about this place. It used to be funny and irreverent. Now, there seems to be more open hostility and grudge matches,

Twaddle Again you timing is WAY off. Positive Irreverence has been declining since 5/2005. Open hostility, although surges can be traced back to 8/2005, has not reached its peak and probably won't until after the elections. Grudge matches, altho flashy, are really such a small sector that I can't believe anyone tracks their quantity much less quality. YMMV I'm only talking about Forum Admin and Other Topics where I have experience.
EXCEPTION There is a hi larry us post in Junk Bonds about Happyness, a hand and a sock puppet!

Now this is a good point. I like irreverence as well and dislike hostile confrontation. We may draw the line in different places as to what is irreverent and what is hostile. :)

Maybe irreverence was easier when the board was newer and smaller. I miss that flavor as well. Though a few masters of the irreverent are still around and still make me smile.

Hostility? Man, I don't know. The hostility temperature seems to go up and down. CFB recently mentioned how hostile some other forums can get and gave some examples that make us look like angels.

Maybe after a certain point the whole online experience leaves us wanting.

Plus - just back from the store - the price of coffee is waaay up - given my DNA and ancestry - does not bode well for my future irreverence.

heh heh heh - perhaps green tea in my old age.

Plus - just back from the store - the price of coffee is waaay up - given my DNA and ancestry - does not bode well for my future irreverence.

heh heh heh - perhaps green tea in my old age.

Hope you don't like cream/milk in your coffee. They've skyrocketed the price of that too.

-CC

Ok, so you are saying that the Mods and Moderator Emeritus are using their influence in a way that you think is not fair? They have always taken time to understand situations and make their best attempt at managing the discussions in a light manner. Their reputation are based on years of contributions and well deserved IMO. If you have problems with that then I suggest you spend you E-R discussion time elsewhere. Actually, this has nothing to do with E-R, can we please let this rest and get back to on topic discussions?

No, I've never said anything about fairness. I think the atmosphere is poisoned. Poor public behavior begets more poor public behavior. And, as I've said, some mods do an excellent job. They are diplomatic and moderate via PM rather than by public confrontation.

Anyway, I've made my point. If my rants have induced any guilt in culpable parties, then I've done all I can. If the atmosphere continues to be one of public confrontation and crys of "TROLL!" then I'll take you up on your offer to find another forum.

BTW, do I get to take my content with me? Not that it's worth much, but I wouldn't want to leave it behind if I'm not around.

But at what point do cops hurt? Obviously, a witch hunt isn't moderation, is it?
Good questions and well worth thinking about (and I would bet the moderators and ex-mods are thinking hard now, thanks to you).

But could you rephrase them in a funny and irreverent way in order to recapture that old magic? ;)

Twaddle, you really know how to beat a dead horse. When you get done with it even the rendering company won't want it.

No, I've never said anything about fairness. I think the atmosphere is poisoned. Poor public behavior begets more poor public behavior. And, as I've said, some mods do an excellent job. They are diplomatic and moderate via PM rather than by public confrontation.

Anyway, I've made my point. If my rants have induced any guilt in culpable parties, then I've done all I can. If the atmosphere continues to be one of public confrontation and crys of "TROLL!" then I'll take you up on your offer to find another forum.

BTW, do I get to take my content with me? Not that it's worth much, but I wouldn't want to leave it behind if I'm not around.

Sounds like an immature child. "If you won't play the game my way I'm going to take my ball and go home".

If you don't want to be here, don't go away mad, just go away and take your ball with you.

Twaddle, you really know how to beat a dead horse. When you get done with it even the rendering company won't want it.

Sounds like an immature child. "If you won't play the game my way I'm going to take my ball and go home".

Glad someone else put words to what I was t hinking. Whoops! Now I guess I am part of a mob. Where's my pitchfork?

But could you rephrase them in a funny and irreverent way in order to recapture that old magic? ;)

Yeah, I realize my prose was getting a little purple in this thread. I've been trying to think of a nice catchy retort to use whenever somebody goes on one of their TROLL! hunts.

"Ad hominem attack!" just doesn't have that same nice ring to it as TROLL! does it?

What can I shout at some putz who attacks the person rather than the ideas expressed? Wait, I think I have it....

Sounds like an immature child.

PUTZ!!!!

invasion23.jpg

Pssssst! - DeCaf.

Worth the price.

heh heh heh - pick a brand any brand - just do it! Do it now!! >:D:D

You think I'm cranky now - doing estimated taxes this weekend - in time for Monday - State and Federal. Troll is a nit - to the barracades with the bare breasted French broad!

Pssssst! - DeCaf.

Worth the price.

heh heh heh - pick a brand any brand - just do it! Do it now!! >:D:D

You think I'm cranky now - doing estimated taxes this weekend - in time for Monday - State and Federal. Troll is a nit - to the barracades with the bare breasted French broad!

Not a bad idea; everyone, take a deep [-]toke[/-] breath , and count to ten...

Hey Mick, she got a sister? :p

I’d like to clarify what I see at the issues on this thread (and three concurrent threads on the same issue). I don’t mind seeing people banned but I don’t appreciate being told whom I may associate with. If my story about the head of personnel was unclear, this is the point of it: People in large organizations who refuse to blacklist others are destroyed as surely as those whose names appear on the blacklist. As long as a poster is not banned, I feel that he or she is fair game for comments and/or as in my case, attempts at hijacking the thread. IMO, posters who start a thread and then never join in the comments, are fair game for banning.

Sorry, Brewer, I meant the poster you called a "troll."

So, you're basically saying that there really are trolls -- people whose intent is only to disrupt a forum. I agree, but I find they are extremely rare. We certainly don't encounter them here on a frequent basis.

My problem is with the extension of "troll" to anybody who doesn't agree with you (check the length of some of those ignore lists). And the way they are confronted.

BTW, what do you think of my new "internet putz" -- somebody who engages in ad hominem attacks? I hope it catches on. ;)

Back
Top Bottom