Aging Progression and Getting Old

At 61, the main concession I have made to the reality of aging is to "retire" from the full/high contact sports I enjoy. It takes longer and longer to recover from those related soreness/injuries. I was not good enough to play at a level to create serious injuries or put a toll on my body that I see showing up in some of my friends who were star athletes back in the day. Back in my mid-40s I played several hours of tag/tackle football and then had to get on a long plane ride the next day. I thought I would have to request a wheelchair to get off the plane, and the trek to get my bags and rental car was full of pain.

I not longer go up on ladders onto roofs - anything that cannot be done standing firmly on my 3 foot solid step ladder is a job for someone else (one form of "blowing that dough" :)).

OP here. Now that you mention it, I finally stopped playing hockey goalie at 53. I just couldn't get up from the ice anymore but more importantly, lugging 100 pounds of equipment into a cold rink at 1AM became more of a hassle than fun.

More recently we pay for a lot of stuff we used to do ourselves--mostly boat and yard work. More than once this year I've said to DW "we're too old and too rich to be doing this ourselves"

Will be 64 in January. Other than occasional back pain feel pretty good still. Try to go to the Y every other day. My yard in summer keeps my busy as I still push a lawn mower on a very large lawn where others in neighborhood have riding lawn mowers. I also shovel my own snow where others have snow blowers. I guess if it was good enough for my father and grand father it is good enough for me. I also still like to drink most evenings. My motto is every day is Saturday and martinis at 6.....:D

So here's my musing for the day:

I'll be turning 68 soon. By my appearance no one believes that I'm that age (by most accounts my 90 year old mom looks about 75). Good genes.

Now most days I feel great, strong and full of energy, ready and able to take on anything. Every tenth or twelfth day however I feel creaky. Just 'not with it', not quite as physically flexible, not quite as energetic; maybe I didn't get a good night's sleep. DW shocked me the other day by commenting that "you shouldn't be surprised, you're closer to 70 than 60 you know".

So here's my question. For those of you who are further along, did your aging creep up on you? Like, did 'feeling your age' go from once a week to once every three days to every day over time?

Or was it just a slow, imperceptible degradation? I doubt anyone just woke up one day feeling old!

Is it a progression where the spaces between feeling young and feeling old get closer together and then eventually you just feel old all the time? Or is it more of a slow, subtle thing? Or, like when to take SS, it depends upon the individual?

I'd ask mom but she's up on a ladder right now cleaning her gutters (only half kidding).

You’re not imagining things. The body ages in 3 distinct shifts

https://www.sciencealert.com/our-bodies-age-in-three-separate-shifts-according-new-blood-tests

“While these protein levels often stay relatively constant, the researchers found that big shifts occurred in the readings of multiple proteins around young adulthood (age 34), late middle age (age 60) and old age (age 78).”

I'm 69, and trust me, it gets worse. The older you get the faster the atrophy sets in and the longer it takes to recover.

+1 except many (not all) aches, pains, injuries, etc that would just fade away 20+ years ago "just don't anymore". Now they just seem to accumulate and hang on. Or maybe I need to be more patient and wait another few years.

+1 except many (not all) aches, pains, injuries, etc that would just fade away 20+ years ago "just don't anymore". Now they just seem to accumulate and hang on. Or maybe I need to be more patient and wait another few years.
I may be imagining it, but it seems like everyday aches take longer to recover from (expected) AND longer to set in (unexpected). Where I could overdo it and recover in a day, I could feel the ache within hours when I was younger. Now when I overdo it I don’t feel it until the next day, and it takes longer to go away. So now after some unusually physical task I sometimes think - huh, I guess I got away with that - only to find out otherwise when I wake up the next morning. Ouch. :blush: :confused:

I exercise regularly and stay active, but Father Time won’t be denied, only delayed...

Last edited:
Now they just seem to accumulate and hang on. Or maybe I need to be more patient and wait another few years.

In a few more years they'll be permanently embedded......(or as 'permanent' as nature can be induced to allow). :LOL:

Well, if climbing the ladder for gutter cleaning is the test, I passed it, having cleaned out all my gutters last week. I also went up on the roof over the summer to scrub all the moss off where the trees shade it, and I will probably go back up this coming week to attach a TV antenna to my back chimney. I don't look forward to having to abandon ladder climbing.

Turned 68 this year and enjoy a fairly active lifestyle, golf, gym three to four times a week, daily walks with my SO. I did have back surgery in October that has taken the wind from my sails. Recovery is slow but steady and I'm done working off ladders, power washing any type of strenuous work that may be detrimental to the old back. It's my new normal. I think aging is a slow, incremental and insidious path to the nether world which everyone travels. I'm thankful for having a pretty good 68 years so far and hoping for at least another ten or so.

I still go up on the roof with my leaf blower but ...
1) I am much more careful now and always balance away from the gutter
2) I have one of those powerful cordless blowers that do the job fast
3) DW hangs out below to catch me

Am 71 last I looked.

Some people are so astonished and affronted by age that they become severe bores about it. It's one thing to get some sympathy and maybe advice from your friends - we all need that. It's another to generate a full-length dissertation at every opportunity.
The main reason we ruled out 55+ communities in our recent home search. Usually the last thing I want to hear about, along with easily solving the worlds problems by the clueless - go to almost any McDonalds in the morning where senior coffee is served and listen in...

Last edited:
Slowing down

Every fall/winter between Thanksgiving and XMAS I participate in the Concept 2 rowing challenge on the Concept 2 rowing machines. I keep my logbook on the Concept 2 site. For this challenge, once you log in 100,000 meters Concept 2 donates .02¢ per kilometer towards a charity. After 200,000 meters this is increased to .04¢. At this stage you also are awarded a pin. I've done this challenege every year since 2009. If there is a gage how my body has changed it is this challenge. I try and average 10,000 meters a workout. In the past I could easily do this in around 43 minutes or so. Yesterday was my first time this year to get my meters in under 50 minutes.
At 67 I'm thankful to still be able to do this. Looking forward to adding pin #11 to my collection!
RrxuxiisKlrXiiR4tK4RwAa3nPAsI59clAfE2JFVAfG-_-TFu8d38D2UZevDiWNZcz14e7T8J8yZfJlwiBr3L4UkPDe0uV6kbFz0AI7jsVt2CNNT2i908ajSETdlgPHFO_BteY-x3tY=w2400

While still a working youth in my 50's I developed a nice friendship with an older couple on the same tour as I was on. They were both in their early 70's, a bit slower than most of the group, but they did everything, were very alert and good conversationalists.

They told me their plan was to travel as much as possible every year while in their 70's. They had noticed that older friends and relatives started to slow down significantly in their 80's. Since then I have watched others who are older than I am. Overall, I find that their observation is correct. Somewhere after 80, most people just slow down.

There are exceptions. My old pastor, who is approaching 80, is still going strong. He has stopped doing some things for safety's sake - Kayaking between islands off the Pacific Coast comes to mind. But, he recently purchased a truck, a pop-up camping trailer, and new hiking gear.

It is a process all living things go through. One we can observe in accelerated fashion, in our pets. The once-dashing, leaping kitten or puppy now proceeds carefully to the food dish, then to the favorite soft sleeping place or the designated bathroom area. And that's all they do now. It is normal.

Somewhere after 80, most people just slow down.

So here's my question. For those of you who are further along, did your aging creep up on you? Like, did 'feeling your age' go from once a week to once every three days to every day over time?

Or was it just a slow, imperceptible degradation? I doubt anyone just woke up one day feeling old!

OK, here's a brutally honest response that you probably didn't want to see. :D

For me it seemed to happen pretty quickly. The threshold between "not overdoing" and "overdoing" went way down when I was about 67. But nobody told me that was happening! At age 66 I was regularly lifting weights that added up to 28 tons, three times a week at the gym. I felt like superwoman.

When I moved to my Dream Home, at age 67, I substituted packing and other moving activities for my weight lifting at the gym, and I assumed I could do a lot more than the average 67-year-old should do. After all, this was my 30th move and I felt like I knew what I was doing; besides, I had never had trouble before, plus I had been doing those great workouts at the gym. But gyms are inherently safer than real life, at least IMO. While moving I injured myself countless times due to overdoing and falls related to attempting to do too much. I didn't put two and two together, either, and just kept trying and failing to do what I thought I should be able to do.

After that move was completed, I was a mess. I started paying more attention to aging and fall prevention. I also got my cataracts removed which helped me to see obstacles that might make me fall. This year I also got a knee replaced.

Being unrealistic about the effects of aging on one's body is really dumb, trust me on that one. You can hurt yourself much more easily as you age, if you aren't careful.

Every fall/winter between Thanksgiving and XMAS I participate in the Concept 2 rowing challenge on the Concept 2 rowing machines.

What do you think of rowing as a way to improve and keep strength and keep up ones cardio ability?

I have noticed an increase in aching joints since age 60. Still able to do the things I want too, just have to be more careful--pay attention to risk of falling;, etc.
I noticed a significant change in my Dad when he turned 80. He lived to 86, but was not healthy the last few years.

What do you think of rowing as a way to improve and keep strength and keep up ones cardio ability?
Rowing is a great way to build cardio strength. At my physical 2 years ago my dr said listening to my heart, "Your heart sounds really good for one who is 66, Hell it sounds good for someone who would be 36!" Erging on the Concept 2's is low impact and you can work out at an easy or intense level. I rowed on the water with a masters rowing club and was taught by my coaches the right way to use the Concept 2's.

The damper is adjustable from 1-10. My coaches would recommend a setting between 3-4 to most simulate what you would encounter in a boat. I cringe when I see people slap the damper all the way up to 10. I start my session at the "release" which would be when the oar blade is lifted out of the water when rowing in a boat. You are leaned back with the handle by your chest, then arms away, lean forward, and slide up to the "catch" which in the boat is where you would drop you oar into the water. Big push back with your legs...when the legs are extended lean back, and finally pull into your chest... repeat... It is important to always try to keep the chain level and when sliding to the catch to do so slowly... that is the only rest you get....

This excersise gets me to the YMCA on a regular basis which is also good for the people interaction.

Using the right form makes all the difference in the world. Lot's of Youtubes and information on the Concept2 website.

For those of you who are further along, did your aging creep up on you? Like, did 'feeling your age' go from once a week to once every three days to every day over time?Or was it just a slow, imperceptible degradation? I doubt anyone just woke up one day feeling old!

Back when I was in my peak physical condition (in my 30's), I don't recall ever labeling myself as being in 'peak physical condition'. I simply did the physical stuff I enjoyed doing without any attempt to contextualize.

I also don't recall labeling any of the lovely women who I became involved with during that period as being in 'peak physical condition', either. These unfortunate ladies simply were in great condition - there wasn't any reason during that period for me to think about it.

A couple of decades later, I'm definitely past-peak for physical condition, but so far the decline has been gentle. My mind seems to be mostly still there, but self-diagnosing a mental decline could be tricky. :)

Last edited:
68, no complaints. Stats on stationary bike declining, but pretty sure I could up them if I wanted to. Just a matter of respecting that no, I shouldn't run the heart at 165 any more. Knees will speak to me after mtn biking, neck won't freely turn as far when checking car mirrors, and woodworking challenges my sight (brighter light really helps). Despite no tickets or accidents I feel less confident driving than yesteryear, just seem to do more checks and am more defensive from the yahoos. DW (of 50 years next August) is in great shape and we, oops won't go there. :LOL: Mentally I find a few things more challenging but my recall is fine. Don't do puzzles but am convinced that if I can average 8-9 mph on the rooty, twisty, branchy single track trails in the woods my synapses must be snapping pretty well.

I guess I'll just be honest and say mortality is a real thing that does seem to bother me, not that there's anything you can do about it other that eat well, exercise, and avoid vices. My aging dog is a daily reminder. But what ya gonna do? Enjoy the ride while ya can. I don't look forward to a long slog down, in the meantime Life is Good.:dance:

Every fall/winter between Thanksgiving and XMAS I participate in the Concept 2 rowing challenge on the Concept 2 rowing machines. I keep my logbook on the Concept 2 site. For this challenge, once you log in 100,000 meters Concept 2 donates .02¢ per kilometer towards a charity. After 200,000 meters this is increased to .04¢. At this stage you also are awarded a pin. I've done this challenege every year since 2009. If there is a gage how my body has changed it is this challenge. I try and average 10,000 meters a workout. In the past I could easily do this in around 43 minutes or so. Yesterday was my first time this year to get my meters in under 50 minutes.
At 67 I'm thankful to still be able to do this. Looking forward to adding pin #11 to my collection!
RrxuxiisKlrXiiR4tK4RwAa3nPAsI59clAfE2JFVAfG-_-TFu8d38D2UZevDiWNZcz14e7T8J8yZfJlwiBr3L4UkPDe0uV6kbFz0AI7jsVt2CNNT2i908ajSETdlgPHFO_BteY-x3tY=w2400

Concept 2 rowers are one of the "big 3" in my cardio repertoire at the gym (the other 2 being spin classes and the elliptical.) I'm not in your class - normally on rowing days I do a good vigorous half hour before doing some other stuff. But I've been noticing that my meter count for 30 minutes has been slowly decreasing over the past few years. And I'm noticing that unless I consciously push it, my pace for 500 meters can get very close to 3:00 min. whereas it wasn't that long ago I was at about 2:20 without even thinking about it.

The dumbells are also heavier than they used to be!

Congratulations on your pins and for putting in the effort required to earn them!

(age 74)

From 60 to 90 there are 3 levels
The 60's - The GO now years
The 70's - The GO SLOW years
The 80's - The NO GO years

I've just turned 67. Until 64 I was in very good shape, but then messed up my back. I've slowly recovered but have definitely been much more careful of what I do since then. I hire out labor intensive things (tree cutting, gutter cleaning) vs trying to do them myself.

My own experience since my knee surgery is that I am regaining a lot of abilities but slowly. Still it beats the heck out of going backwards.

From Bamaman: "At one point in life, retirees of any age need to stay off high ladders and even go into defensive mode for maintaining long term health."

This defensive mode thing is something I never used to think about, but lately, I have been. I took a small fall on my bicycle and realized it could have been a lot worse. I've also have given thought to selling my motorcycle. Running--geez, am I going to need a hip replacement if I keep it up?

Motorcycle is still in the garage. My intention was to keep it until 80, but now I'm not so sure. I've gone from seeing a light turn yellow 100 yards away, saying "I've got this", to saying goodbye to my beloved motorcycle. Yeah, it's fast.

Back
Top Bottom