Votes: 8 5.8%
  • I'm a girl and would like to lose 5 to 10 pounds

Votes: 9 6.5%
  • I'm a girl and would like to lose 10 to 20 pound

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • I'm a girl and would like to lose over 20 pounds

Votes: 14 10.1%

• Total voters
I am 5'5'' and 128 lbs. .This is as good as it gets . I had to fight to get here and stay here .

6'4" and 167#

180# might be a nice weight to visit except I'd probably just look like a garter snake that had swallowed an even larger ball.

6' tall and my weight has fluctuated between 210 (retirement day) and 165 (last summer when running 30 miles a week). Now at 180-185. Probably have 5 pounds to lose which will happen in the next couple of weeks. My ideal weight is 175-180.

I replaced my full time job with a full time exercise routine and I've been able to maintain my ideal weight. But if the fairy could wave it's magic dust, I'd be able to maintain my existing weight while eating whatever I feel like.

I don't want the weight fairy. I want the height fairy, a few inches taller then I would be perfect. I'm fairly heavy bone but I was under 110lbs in college. I don't want to be going back to that weight ever.

BMI 26, wouldn't mind getting down to BMI 25, which would be 6-8 pounds. I don't really want to go below 25 because I think a bit of weight is protective as you get older, especially for your bones.

Last edited:
I could eat pretty much whatever I wanted and stay between 150 and 155 until I turned 55. It was down hill from there. Ice cream is no longer in my diet. :)

I asked my doctor how to lose ten pounds of unsightly fat, and he told me to cut of my head...

At 181.6 cm and 78 kg (or 12.3 stone, considered "moderately stoned"), I don't need to lose any, though perhaps could stand to convert about five pounds of "12 pack" into muscle.

Thats 5'11.5" and 172 lbs., in Merican...

After Xmas season, I was 10 pounds over goal weight. I have dropped 5 lbs since and have 5 to go by Memorial Day. Miss the days when I could eat whatever I wanted and not gain extra pounds!

Not enough poll options. If I saw the weight fairy, I'd tell him/her to go away and send the muscle fairy. If the muscle fairy arrived, I'd ask for another 10-20lbs.

An aside: I think people often say "weight loss" when they mean "fat loss". "Weight" will go up according to the bathroom scale when you're adding muscle -- and that's a good thing! Unfortunately it's difficult to lose fat without losing some muscle, and that's not such a good thing. :( Fortunately adding muscle makes it easier for our bodies to burn fat, and that's a good thing. :)

+1.

I'm a fine boned male of 5'8". If I get the right mind set, I feel good at a lean and hungry 148. I'm about 40lbs over that now. I typically lose nearly 2lb/day on vacation, so I figure I could get back to 150s if I had a sabbatical or semi ER.

About where I want to be at 6'2", 180 lbs. Waist is in the 32"-33" range which is where I was in my college days. Along with an active lifestyle, I exercise (run/weights) and eat a fairly low carb diet, so no problems (so far) staying in shape.

Male, 5'7", 165 lbs. I have plenty of muscle mass from years of lifting. I consider the 5-10 pounds of extra weight little enough to be meaningless.

I struggle with this question. I am overweight by around 30 lbs according to the charts so it would be great to take that off. However I haven't been 30 lbs lighter for 20+ years and the lifestyle sacrifices I'd have to make to maintain a weight so much less haven't been worth it to me. My BP, cholesterol and glucose are all good and I lead an active lifestyle. So far after 5 months of ER, my weight is about what it was before. Exercising more, but also eating out and celebrating more.

I lost 48 pounds last year thru say, August or September. 40-45 of those have stayed "lost". Since then, I've probably lost another 35-40 pounds, 5 pounds at a time. But each time I lose those 5 pounds, I find them again. If you have any pull with the "weight fairy", could you have her make it so that I don't keep finding those that I lost?

I'm about 6', 225 pounds. Ideally, I'd like to weigh 190, but would be concerned about keeping my weight that low even if I got there.

Right now, I'm working towards 210-215 pounds.

5'9" and currently at 170 lbs. I want to drop 5. I'm at an OK weight for BMI and my 32x30 pants fit fine. The 5 is just vanity. I was under 150 pounds my first 27 years, till I w*rked at Megacorp. I was up to 225 and felt like cr@p.

DW is 5'3", she was 177, today she's at 118. Not bad for being on meds "that make it impossible to lose weight on". Don't believe everything a MD. says about weight loss.

Retired 4 years ago and decided to get healthy by losing 95 pounds. Took 2 years to do, but it's amazing what getting rid of stress can do for you.

I'd be THRILLED if the weight loss fairy would take another 10-15 pounds away - I'm technically still 10lbs overweight. But I'm not sure that would be sustainable for me, as I've yo-yo'd a lot over the years. Besides, I like to blame those 10lbs on my thyroid condition [emoji14]My doctor is very happy with my current weight, which is what I weighed in college. So instead of worrying about why the weight loss fairy has now forsaken me - I bask in the glory of being able to walk everywhere I want all day long and not have to constantly sit down to rest.

I lost 48 pounds last year thru say, August or September. 40-45 of those have stayed "lost". Since then, I've probably lost another 35-40 pounds, 5 pounds at a time. But each time I lose those 5 pounds, I find them again. If you have any pull with the "weight fairy", could you have her make it so that I don't keep finding those that I lost?

Good for you and those that have lost weight after retirement. I lost about 20 lbs and have kept it off. Feels good doesn't it?

It's called EBYM - Eat Below Your Means.

Just like LBYM, only instead of saying "I'd like to buy that, but I don't need it so I won't," you say "I'd like to eat that, but I don't need it, so I won't."

My Mother used to call it "won't power" (she did not like the phrase "willpower").

It's called EBYM - Eat Below Your Means.

Just like LBYM, only instead of saying "I'd like to buy that, but I don't need it so I won't," you say "I'd like to eat that, but I don't need it, so I won't."

My Mother used to call it "won't power" (she did not like the phrase "willpower").
Nice way to think about it.

My hat is off to those who have lost so much excess weight. Healthy amounts and nourishing eating is probably one of the most important health habits.

I became a runner at age 47. Prior to then I was always 35-50 pounds overweight. My usual fighting weight ranges from 178-182. No, that's not what my ideal weight likely should be, but it's good enough and usually easy for me to maintain (I'm 5'10). I'm nursing a knee injury now, and weight has crept up to 185, so I'm now cutting back on what I am eating.

For an alternate view of BMI that looks at weight by age categories, check out Dr. Hall's research. Gentlemen's Reserve: BMI chart for men
There is a link at the bottom of the page to a age adjusted chart for the ladies.
As an example, I am a BMI of 25 which statistically means I am at the 50th percentile of the male population (half weighs more and half less). On Hall's chart for the age of 69, I am at the 36 percentile--64% of men my age weigh more than I do.
I also subscribe to Audrey1's strategy that it is better to keep a few extra pounds at my age than be too low and have no cushion for a fall. I selected "lose 5-10 pounds" for the weight fairy" ;-)

On Hall's chart for the age of 69, I am at the 36 percentile--64% of men my age weigh more than I do.

Right now I'm at the 30th percentile...if I can get rid of all the sciatica type problems and return to where I 'should' be it'd be the 23rd.

Back
Top Bottom