Votes: 8 5.8%
  • I'm a girl and would like to lose 5 to 10 pounds

Votes: 9 6.5%
  • I'm a girl and would like to lose 10 to 20 pound

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • I'm a girl and would like to lose over 20 pounds

Votes: 14 10.1%

• Total voters
Frail, thin people also seem to catch every bug.

I also subscribe to Audrey1's strategy that it is better to keep a few extra pounds at my age than be too low and have no cushion for a fall.

I'm 5'10" 171 lbs 13% body fat down from about the same weight 20% body fat. Definitely feels better-my back use to get hurt easily now no pain. No fairy just lifted heavy weights and ate a proper diet for about a year.

At a BMI of 23.5, no way I need to lose any more weight.

However, I would not mind having some body mass redistributed higher in the torso. I am sure many people, male as well as female, would want the same thing. Just sayin'...

Mr. A. was getting love handles and a belly, and he "redistributed" his middle around his shoulders and chest via lots of reps on the weight machines. He is much older than I am, so it can be done at any age, as long as the person is not disabled.

Now if we only had a friendly, generous "exercise fairy" who could save us the effort and time of exercise. I would burn incense at his/her altar, or whatever it is that fairies like.

At a BMI of 23.5, no way I need to lose any more weight.

However, I would not mind having some body mass redistributed higher in the torso. I am sure many people, male as well as female, would want the same thing. Just sayin'...

Retired 4 years ago and decided to get healthy by losing 95 pounds. Took 2 years to do, but it's amazing what getting rid of stress can do for you.

I'd be THRILLED if the weight loss fairy would take another 10-15 pounds away - I'm technically still 10lbs overweight. But I'm not sure that would be sustainable for me, as I've yo-yo'd a lot over the years. Besides, I like to blame those 10lbs on my thyroid condition [emoji14]My doctor is very happy with my current weight, which is what I weighed in college. So instead of worrying about why the weight loss fairy has now forsaken me - I bask in the glory of being able to walk everywhere I want all day long and not have to constantly sit down to rest.

Bravo! that's serious weight to take and keep off. Not many are successful at it. :dance:

It's called EBYM - Eat Below Your Means.

Just like LBYM, only instead of saying "I'd like to buy that, but I don't need it so I won't," you say "I'd like to eat that, but I don't need it, so I won't."

Brilliant. This concept should get a good reception here. :)

I think a bit of weight is protective as you get older, especially for your bones.

As most women on this board also know, at a certain age, you have to choose between your ass and your face.

(skinny bum comes with gaunt wrinkly face)

Observation: I don't see any really old really overweight people.

Because of that observation DW and I went on a health and welfare kick about 10 years ago. Actually I started about 15 years ago at 6'2" and 245 lbs. I am now at 193 lbs and have been as low as 186. I came off blood pressure meds when I dropped below 200. My weight now fluctuates between about 190 and 197 depending on our cruise schedule. DW, is 5'3" and weighs 120 lbs. She fluctuates about +- 3 lbs.

Is it hard, well... yes kind of. It is not so much hard as constant. Go a week or month without weighing or paying attention wo what I eat will increase 10 lbs. Just like food prices, however, going the other way can take three or four months to loose the 10 lbs.

52 yo, 5' 8" and 166 lbs. This puts me right at the threshold between "normal" and "over" weight according the my BMI. Ideally, I'd like to be between 157-160 so only 5 lbs or so.

When I joined the military at 18 I was 119 lbs (only 8 lbs above the minimum b/f they wouldn't take me). Fortunately they did or I likely wouldn't be ER at this time in my life. It's been a slow creep up over the years and now with 3 teenagers at home it's tough to stay at the 1400-1600 calorie level to maintain my weight. We still have nightly dinners at the dinner table and I swear one of the kids is baking brownies or cookies 3-4 nights a week.

One thing I've learned over the years is that 1 month of LCHF eating will take off 7-8 lbs pretty easily.

Unless you had a round, full face, in which case being overweight just makes your face look even more matronly. My face has gotten longer and thinner with age, but it's neither gaunt nor haggard because there was plenty of "there" there to begin with.

And this is judging by photos, not the mirror, which can lie like a rug :D

Then again, a really skinny rear end is attractive to nobody. I even don't like it on men. There should be some nice round muscle there :LOL: >:D

As most women on this board also know, at a certain age, you have to choose between your ass and your face.

Last edited:
I'm 5' 10" and as long as I stay between 175 and 180, I'm happy. Although 180 puts me slightly above "normal" BMI, at my annual physical my doctor has never raised weight as an issue for me.

I entered college skinny at 145, but got into weights and a lot more athletic activity. But the time I graduated I was 170 but that gain was all muscle. I crept up to close to 200 lbs as recently as 4 years ago, but I have managed to break or cut down on some bad eating habits and have been able to stay within my desired range since then.

I have skinny bum and non wrinkle face. But there are fat somewhere else. Just saying. So in theory, I should be good but not in practice.

Back
Top Bottom