Kinesiology taping - Have you used it?

Chuckanut

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I am currently dealing with the aftermath of a knee replacement operation. The #1 ongoing problem is swelling of the tissue around the knee joint to the point that it makes the PT and other activities very uncomfortable.

One person has recommended that I replace the compression socks with Kinesiology tape. From what I see this somewhat stretch tape is used for all sorts of muscle and skeleton issues. I guess the idea is that the right kind of taping can prevent problems such as the swelling I am eperience.

Has anybody used Kinesiology taping? What did you use it for? Did you find it effective? Or not?

FWIW, I doubt if I can use it at this time since I would have to tape over the incision which is still healing. That would be a big No No. But, I am curious if anybody has used this technique and what the results were.

I've used it for some minor running injuries and issues. It seemed to work well when a professional applied it. When I tried to do it myself, I found it awkward to work with. Maybe the front of the knee would be easier than the calf on the back of the leg. Other people do it so it's probably just my ineptitude.

I have heard it works well when applied correctly, but that compression socks/sleeves are easier to use.

If you go the tape route, make sure you get instruction on how to apply it properly. If it doesn't seem to be working well, go back and have them show you again.

Had it applied by physical therapist during rehab for a shoulder injury. Seemed worthless.

I've been using it on my foot at the recommendation of the podiatrist I went to see about plantar fasciitis. She prescribed a round of Prednisone, KT tape on the foot, some stretching exercises, and Copper Fit balance insoles for my shoes. I have no idea if it was any or all of those things combined that took care of it but the pain is virtually completely gone two weeks afterwards. I say "virtually" because every once in a while I get a little twinge of pain but it's certainly nothing I can't live with so I'm a happy camper.

I have three suggestions:

Ice, Ice and more Ice. Keep the knee iced down whenever you're sitting or in bed.

It's a pretty tough few weeks. Then, click, it'll quit hurting. Do the PT without fail.

My neighbor had tremendous success with daily trips to the pool to walk around in progressively shallower water gradually taking the weight onto his knee. He was back on skis way faster than predicted.

I had a licensed massage therapist apply it on my knee years ago, before I actually needed knee replacement.

She gave me the backing from the tape to use as my pattern to cut more. I found it helpful. I'd think if you put it on the sides of your knee, not touching the incision, it could be helpful.

I haven't had a massage since my 7/11 knee replacement, but I know lots of people with replacements who swear by them. I've been thinking about going as my gait has changed since the surgery, and I'm having pain in my opposite thigh and piriformis.

I've been thinking about going as my gait has changed since the surgery, and I'm having pain in my opposite thigh and piriformis.

My SO's gait changed after his first knee replacement so he had to wear a heel lift until his second total knee which evened out his gait .

A physical therapist recommended it for my foot that had a fallen arch when shoe inserts were uncomfortable. I found it to Be an effective way for me to get arch support.

I appreciate all the responses. I may give it a try later on. For now, I don't want to put any tape on the incision for fear of removing the protective scabbing that the Dr. says needs to fall off on its own.

Back
Top Bottom