New Shingrx Shingles Vaccine

Got shot #2 on Wednesday, fully covered by my BCBS-FL 1735 HSA plan.

After-effects (stiff neck, and sore injection site) were mild and like the first time, lasted about 36 hours. Glad that this is done!

I made a command decision last night. I had been holding off till 2021 to get both shots on same Part D year. Decided that didn't make sense anymore. Both shots would be well less than my deductible anyway, and, knock on wood, my drug costs have been near zero. Coupled with the thought of trying to get the first shot early next year, zoo time for Covid vaccinations. Why not get the shot now, when pharmacy is empty, and I can have an experienced person give me the shot?
Printed out GoodRx coupon for $155, and at the pharmacy compared that with my Part D negotiated rate... the counter person didn't think they could take GoodRx on vaccinations, went to check. Nope, they wouldn't take it on that. So they checked my Part D cost to me... $154.84. I now have 16 cents to live large with, woo hoo!

I'm doing great, no effects at all, though it's only been two hours :D

Time will tell. Oh, pharmacist told me that some people can get a reaction, well described here on the forum. Their spouse was fine on the first shot, a couple days of some arm pain and overall whatever on the second shot.

Telly, glad you got the Shingrix shot. Having Shingles now on top of everything else would be awful.

Got my 2nd shot yesterday at CVS. Sore arm and headache the rest of the day. The headache may be a result of not understanding how they price this thing. First shot was $160 and change. Yesterday it was $175 and change. They ran it through several times but kept coming back at the higher rate. Trying to argue with Wellcare over $15 was not worth the effort.

Got my second dose yesterday. The pharmacist told me to expect whatever reaction I had as last time, which was true; for me, that was a sore injection site and overall muscle soreness but not really that bad. Aunt, who is 84 years young, got her first dose the other day with no reaction whatsoever. A different aunt had shingles years ago and it was a nightmare.

I have not read all 39 pages of this thread. Curious if any retired military folks on Medicare + Tricare-for-Life had the cost of the shots covered by TFL? Since TFL includes prescription benefits, it would be unusual for retired military to have Medicare Part D.

I’m sure I can find the answer on the TFL web site but since I was reading this thread just thought I’d ask.

Thanks.

ETA: the web site indicates they cover it. However, it appears to have conflicting (or at least confusing) info about whether or not it has to be done at a doctor’s office or if a network pharmacy is OK. Any sea/war stories along those lines?

Last edited:
I got the first one at a VA clinic, so that was free.
Second one at the local supermarket pharmacy and that was covered.

I had the old shingles shot when I turned 60. I've since had what I am pretty sure was a mild patch of shingles on one arm. I thought at first it was a reaction to pruning oleander, but it didn't respond to steroid cream and didn't truly itch - more of an electric stinging sensation, very unpleasant. Went away in 10 days.

Mentioned this during my recent physical. The Dr. agreed it sounded like very mild shingles. He recommended getting Shingrix when I turn 65.

Actually it's recommended for anyone over age 50.
I had mine a few years before age 65, so insurance would pay for it as I know in many cases Medicare part D does not. (from folks here).
https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/vpd/shingles/hcp/shingrix/recommendations.html

"CDC recommends Shingrix (recombinant zoster vaccine) for the prevention of herpes zoster (shingles) and related complications. CDC recommends two doses of Shingrix separated by 2 to 6 months for immunocompetent adults age 50 years and older:"

Had my second Shigrix shot on Monday, two months after the first. The area around the injection site is still sore but not overly so. However, I woke up early this morning with extremely itchy areas on both feet. Neither lotion nor OTC cortisone creme had much if any effect so I doubt it was just due to dry feet. A single generic Benadryl did help but has left me a bit lacking in energy. I do recall a similar experience of itchy feet a couple of days after the first shot. That only lasted a day or so.

This doesn't seem to be that common a reaction to the vaccine. Is it an allergy? I'd have expected more of an immediate response in that case. I've never had any reaction to the flu or other vaccines beyond a bit of a sore arm. I wonder if my response will have any bearing on the potential effect of the covid vaccine when it's my turn to get that.

This year, we asked our Dr. to prescribe Shingrix at age 49.5 so we could use up flex spending before retirement. She prescribed and insurance paid without complaint - we had to spend more FSA elsewhere. The 2nd dose made us feel like absolute 💩. DH sweated through the sheets and I bundled my achy self off to work in a shawl. By 2:00 I texted him to tell him our evening walk was off. He replied that cooking supper was off, too, so we ate TV dinners. But a long night's sleep on clean sheets made us feel mostly right.

friar1610,
I received by second Shingrix shot at Walgreens last Friday and Tricare Prime covered it. I checked out the Tricare website and for TFL, you can get your Shingrix vaccine from "any TRICARE-authorized provider (network or non-network)" and you'll pay "TRICARE's deductible and cost-share".
Walgreens is a participating pharmacy. To find a participating pharmacy in your area: https://www.express-scripts.com/consumer/site/oepharmacysearch?memtype=tricare&accessLink=TRICARE#

VG23

I have not read all 39 pages of this thread. Curious if any retired military folks on Medicare + Tricare-for-Life had the cost of the shots covered by TFL? Since TFL includes prescription benefits, it would be unusual for retired military to have Medicare Part D.

I’m sure I can find the answer on the TFL web site but since I was reading this thread just thought I’d ask.

Thanks.

ETA: the web site indicates they cover it. However, it appears to have conflicting (or at least confusing) info about whether or not it has to be done at a doctor’s office or if a network pharmacy is OK. Any sea/war stories along those lines?

I was told by retirees in TFL to make sure we get shingles shot before we go onto TFL because there was a substantial difference in price.

Thanks.

I should think. Training a 60-something puppy would stress anybody.

I have one friend who had shingles and it was all due to stress of training a puppy in her later 60's,.

Telly, glad you got the Shingrix shot. Having Shingles now on top of everything else would be awful.
Thanks! Yes it would :eek:
It's been 48 hours since my first Shingrix shot. Last night I noticed some arm soreness taking off shirt. Below the injection point, running about at a 45 degree angle down towards front, is a band of pale reddish roughly 2" wide that is a little swollen. That's what I was feeling. So a very minor "reaction". No problem. It IS the first-ever "reaction" that I can remember to any vaccine.

Just for general knowledge, I'll post the pertinent might be expected reaction details that were in the sheet I got at the Pharmacy. The source is the CDC, dated 10/30/2019:

A sore arm with mild or moderate pain is very common after recombinant shingles vaccine, affecting about 80% of vaccinated people. Redness and swelling can also happen at the site of the injection.
I was surprised that it was up at 80%, I expected less.

Tiredness, muscle pain, headache, shivering, fever, stomach pain, and nausea happen after vaccination in more than half of people who receive recombinant shingles vaccine.
Again, surprised "more than half", but it IS a long varied list of possible effects.

In clinical trials, about 1 out of 6 people who got the recombinant zoster vaccine experienced side effects that prevented them from doing regular activities. Symptoms usually went away on their own in 2 to 3 days.

You should still get the second dose of recombinant zoster vaccine even if you had one of these reactions after the first dose.
Unless you be dead, then you're excused ;)

There is also a "What if there is a serious problem? statement, I'll list the main thrust of it:

An allergic reaction could occur after the vaccinated person leaves the clinic. If you see signs of a severe allergic reaction (hives, swelling of the face and throat, difficulty breathing, a fast heartbeat, dizziness or weakness), call 9-1-1 and get the person to the nearest hospital.

I think every vaccine I have gotten as an adult has a statement like that. Not as a kid, because they didn't give me anything, or maybe the Dr. just mumbled something, like "yer done, get outta here!". Not that I needed any encouragement to leave...

Originally Posted by jam12
I have one friend who had shingles and it was all due to stress of training a puppy in her later 60's,.
=Amethyst;2528534]I should think. Training a 60-something puppy would stress anybody.
That would be 420 dog-years! Might have been one of those yogurt-eating dogs in Baluchistan or wherever! :D

It's been 48 hours since my first Shingrix shot. Last night I noticed some arm soreness taking off shirt. Below the injection point, running about at a 45 degree angle down towards front, is a band of pale reddish roughly 2" wide that is a little swollen. That's what I was feeling. So a very minor "reaction". No problem. It IS the first-ever "reaction" that I can remember to any vaccine.
Yes, I experienced this on day 5 after my first shot, then it went away. It was wider than 2 inches. Below injection point. Diagonal. I think I posted a picture in this thread.
Here it is https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f38/new-shingrx-shingles-vaccine-89949-24.html#post2290525

Last edited:
I got my 1st Shingrix shot a week and a half ago. (I was called by a pharmacy whose waiting list I had been on for 7 months.) The next morning, it felt like there was pressure inside my left ear, I had a headache, and I had strange noise in my ear (tinnitus). This continued over the next 2 days. The next morning, I woke up and realized that I was completely deaf in my left ear.

I searched on my insurer's website for an ENT doctor, and began calling all of them at 8am. I got very lucky. On my 2nd call, the doctor himself answered the phone. I explained what was happening and he told me he could see me 3 hours later. (Turns out he is semi-FIRE'd.) He examined me and said there was no fluid in my ear, nor was there a wax buildup. He gave me a hearing test. The only sounds my left ear could hear were extremely high-pitched tones. My right ear had normal hearing.

He put me on an 11 day steroid course, as well as an antibiotic as a prophylactic, 2 different over-the-counter decongestant meds (though I wasn't congested), and a baby aspirin to prevent a microclot, he explained.

48 hours later, my hearing began to return, though it was degraded, and the tinnitus was still present. My hearing seemed to improve quite a bit over the next 24 hours but the tinnitus has remained. I saw the ENT again after my hearing began to return. After I complete the steroid course, he's having me get a full audiometry with an audiologist, then I'll return to see him. He mentioned in my 2nd visit that when a sudden hearing loss occurs but the loss is not 100%, that steroids are often effective in restoring hearing. He also urged me to take Melatonin before going to bed. A double-blind study indicated that it is often helpful with tinnitus.

A close friend who is an M.D. (and who recently FIRE'd) has been very helpful. She confirmed that the steroid course seemed to be the standard treatment for my situation. She did a fair bit of research and she believes that my hearing issues are indeed a reaction to the Shingrix shot. I think that, too. We have both read a handful of similar accounts. My ENT, however, thinks it is unlikely to be related to Shingrix. (If not, that would be quite a coincidence for someone who has never had any hearing issues.) However, he said that he doesn't plan to get the Shingrix vaccine himself.

I have decided that I will not get the 2nd Shingrix shot, and my doctor friend now thinks that she won't get the shots, either.

FWIW, I don't have any known underlying health issues and wasn't on any medication. I've never had shingles.

I had my first Shingrix injection 12/30/2019. About 4 weeks later I lost my hearing in one ear. I went through a bunch of MRI, CT and other tests but no cause could be determined. The ENT said that cases like this are usually caused by a virus that attacks the nerve in the ear, but that's just their guess.

I got back some very low frequency hearing after taking steroids. I'm about 95% deaf in that ear though. I wasn't sick during that time with anything, and the only thing out of the ordinary was the Shingrix and a plane flight.

I had read about the older Shingles vaccine causing hearing loss, but your case is the first I've heard of it with Shingrix though I suspect that's what did it to me.

Any data on (possibly reduced) side effects for those of us that got the previous shingles shot? I'm on my way to get the new one now (me and my supposedly better trained B-cells).

Yes, I experienced this on day 5 after my first shot, then it went away. It was wider than 2 inches. Below injection point. Diagonal. I think I posted a picture in this thread.
Here it is https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f38/new-shingrx-shingles-vaccine-89949-24.html#post2290525
Thanks for the pic! Yes, definitely similar effect. You had it worse than me. I'm darker-skinned, so there would be less color contrast for me, but even then, you were redder. And a larger area, including further down arm then me (well, at least at this time!).

I wonder if the redness/swelling is tending to follow along down muscle fibers once it gets launched.

I've lost track... did your second shot have any effects?

Any data on (possibly reduced) side effects for those of us that got the previous shingles shot? I'm on my way to get the new one now (me and my supposedly better trained B-cells).
Data, no, one observation, yes. I had the Zostavax shot 6 years ago.

Thanks for the pic! Yes, definitely similar effect. You had it worse than me. I'm darker-skinned, so there would be less color contrast for me, but even then, you were redder. And a larger area, including further down arm then me (well, at least at this time!).

I wonder if the redness/swelling is tending to follow along down muscle fibers once it gets launched.

I've lost track... did your second shot have any effects?
I’m not sure whether the rash repeated. My shoulder hurt pretty good the night after the shot. DH experienced some fever and chills I think.

Last edited:
I had the old Shingles shot and also had Shingles 3 times, once before any vaccine and twice after the old vaccine. After I got the Shingrix vaccine I quit having Shingles outbreaks (think heavens). I had a very slight sore arm from the first Shingrix shot, no side effects whatever from the second Shingrix shot.

Nothing could be as bad as having Shingles. It it almost 20 years since I first had Shingles and I still have pain from the outbreak.

Everyone, I beg you, get the Shingrix shots!!

I had the original shingles vaccine about 7 years ago. Got both shingrix shots just as the pandemic hit earlier this year. The first shingrix shot gave me a moderately sore arm for two days, a mild fever for about 3 days, and generally feeling crappy for 3 days. The second shingrix was similar to the first. I don't normally have any real reaction to flu shots and was surprised by the symptoms from the shingrix.
I fully recommend getting shingrix despite the temporary affects. Our neighbor just spend two nights in the hospital after getting shingles that was around her neck and head area. She was in so much pain, the doctor admitted her and put her on heavy pain meds. She is slowly recovering now after two weeks but still has some nasty pain from the virus.

72 hours after the second shot: had more itchiness in the feet early AM and applied cortisone cream to help it. I had taken an antihistamine last night but want to avoid them during the day. My feet look like they have the red blotchy rash like areas others have described on the arm near the injection site. Oddly, I don't see the same redness on the arm but there is some slight pain there. I've had no fever after either Shingrix shot. I had the old shingles vaccine some years ago and don't remember anything beyond a sore arm for a day or two. I think(hope) my symptoms are subsiding this afternoon.

Back
Top Bottom