New Shingrx Shingles Vaccine

I read that the old shingles shot helps to protect you from a stroke? You should check it out before getting the new shingles shot. The new does not offer any protection. I may have read it wrong so please check it out.

no issues

Howdy,

Got both shots without issue 3 months apart to the day. Little tiny bit of discomfort for a day. Administered by Pharmacist at CVS in SC.

My epiphany was running into a man at my Pain Med doctor. (me..neck ACDF coming in hopefully 5 years or more). He has been suffering with shingles for a year and can't sit, lay down or sleep in any one position for more than 15 minutes at a time. He was miserable....Go for it.

Good luck Wally

I read that the old shingles shot helps to protect you from a stroke? You should check it out before getting the new shingles shot. The new does not offer any protection. I may have read it wrong so please check it out.

Sounds like shingles protection in general reduces the risk of stroke, as it's the shingles themselves that can increase the risk:

https://www.healthline.com/health-news/shingles-vaccine-may-reduce-stroke-risk

A new study concludes that the risk of stroke in people over 50 can be reduced by getting a shingles vaccine.

Researchers say shingles increases a person’s risk of stroke, so getting the preventive vaccine reduces the chance of getting the disease and, therefore, the risk of stroke.

I tried to get the old shot when the new one was hard to get and was told the old one is not available any longer.

Sounds like shingles protection in general reduces the risk of stroke, as it's the shingles themselves that can increase the risk:

https://www.healthline.com/health-news/shingles-vaccine-may-reduce-stroke-risk

A new study concludes that the risk of stroke in people over 50 can be reduced by getting a shingles vaccine.

Researchers say shingles increases a person’s risk of stroke, so getting the preventive vaccine reduces the chance of getting the disease and, therefore, the risk of stroke.

I can definitely see where shingles could increase the risk of stroke. About 15 years ago before I had either vaccines I had a very bad case of shingles and the pain was so bad my blood pressure went sky high and I had to go on BP medication (off of it now). Now 15 years later I still have some pain where I had the Shingles outbreak. Please get the Shingrix vaccine--it will be one of the best things you will ever do for your health.

Just got back from my 2nd shingles shot. I made the 6 month window with 2 days to spare :popcorn:. I just went to a pharmacy about 2 blocks away from the one I called last time that said to wait. The pharmacy where I got my 2nd shot didn't even check for ID. I could have been anyone.

Got the first shot back in November. It was painful for a couple of days (not as bad as the anthrax shot). Was getting close to the 6 month window for the second shot but research said with just the first shot, it was 70% effective. Was able to get in with days to squeak to get my second shot. It was like I never got it. No pain for even a minute. I had shingles as a kid and I never want it again.

I had my second Shingrix shot yesterday after 5 months from getting the first. As with the first shot a slight arm soreness is all I've experienced. Both times the pharmacist advised me to exercise my arm and shoulder for a couple of hours after the shot and that seems to have lessened the soreness.

The cost was $170 each. Well worth it for protection against shingles....

Last edited:
I just picked up on this thread, I'm on Medicare, dissappointed it's not covered.
Checked on my plan D, they said my cost would be $159.48. I quizzed the rep, and I don't think they pay anything.
I can get the shots for $155 each with GoodRx.

I received my second shot last Sunday. The original shot giver verbally advised me to ice my arm after the shot in addition to the written instruction.

With both the 1st and 2nd shot, I slept a lot during the day following the shot. By the 2nd day I was back to full strength.

Very glad to have that behind me (at least for now).

-gauss

I just picked up on this thread, I'm on Medicare, dissappointed it's not covered.
Checked on my plan D, they said my cost would be $159.48. I quizzed the rep, and I don't think they pay anything.
I can get the shots for $155 each with GoodRx.

From my experience, pre-Medicare most insurances cover it under medical. In my case, with a retiree medical plan, we both got both shots at no charge with no co-pay. On Medicare it is covered under part D with all deductibles that apply.

On the flip side, I would gladly pay the $350 per person for 2 shots to prevent us from getting shingles.

Glad we both got it before starting Medicare. It was completely covered. So consider doing it before 65 - you should anyway. Of course it depends on your insurance plan, but ACA plans are supposed to cover preventative vaccines.

My mom got the vaccine covered on Medicare. I can't say I understand Medicare billing, but hope to before it's my time.

I'm looking at my Humana part D coverage and it says they don't cover it.
I see on the Boomer Benifits page this, "Yes, Medicare does cover the shingles vaccine, but not under Original Medicare Parts A and B. Instead, it is your Medicare Part D plan that is required to provide coverage for the shingles vaccines."
On Monday I will call Boomer and ask about this. I suspect they don't cover it, since the cost of the two shingrix shots would be 2 years of my part D premiums.

My Medicare Part D paid for half of the cost of Shingrix vaccines. I had to call them to find this out.

My part D paid only $40 dollars for each shots. I paid the balance of $170 but as I said before well worth the cost to protect against shingles.

Glad we both got it before starting Medicare. It was completely covered. So consider doing it before 65 - you should anyway. Of course it depends on your insurance plan, but ACA plans are supposed to cover preventative vaccines.

Same here, covered under ACA.
DGF had to pay 130 for each shot on Medicare Advantage.

Just got the second shot. It was just as bad as the first shot. Two days of body aches, chills, 101 temp. I know it will offer some solid protection against shingles, but could not help thinking "I voluntarily did this to myself!"

It obviously varies from person to person. My first shot did in fact make my arm very sore for three or four days. The second one was yesterday and I was a bit sore in the evening and this morning but it seems to be almost gone by now.

ACA plans do cover the vaccine. However my in network provider no longer stocks the vaccine so I'm out of luck. It's either find a new provider and pay for an iniital visit or bite the bullet and go the GoodRX route and pay out of pocket. :facepalm:

ACA plans do cover the vaccine. However my in network provider no longer stocks the vaccine so I'm out of luck. It's either find a new provider and pay for an iniital visit or bite the bullet and go the GoodRX route and pay out of pocket. :facepalm:

Could you tell your provider to write a prescription, and then it would be covered anywhere ?

I asked my doctor office days before my appointment if they had the vaccine in stock as I wanted a shot. Had they said they didn't, I would have cancelled and told them to call me when they have it as that is why I'd go in vs a phone call doctor visit.

Could you tell your provider to write a prescription, and then it would be covered anywhere ?

I asked my doctor office days before my appointment if they had the vaccine in stock as I wanted a shot. Had they said they didn't, I would have cancelled and told them to call me when they have it as that is why I'd go in vs a phone call doctor visit.

Good idea. I know I will need to find an in network provider vs a pharmacy but its worth a try.

I didn’t need a prescription for the shingles vaccine. Just got the first this week at Sam’s

Good idea. I know I will need to find an in network provider vs a pharmacy but its worth a try.

I didn’t need a prescription for the shingles vaccine. Just got the first this week at Sam’s

My PCP told me they are sending only limited amounts of Shingrix shots to physicians. Your local CVS can give you shots- you can just walk up with no appointment here. My reaction to the Shingrix shorts was about the same one I get with my flue shot- a sore arm for a few days & I just felt sluggish. Both are well worth it to me- I worked with a woman who got shingles in her late 30s & my mom had them- miserable!!! We rarely come down with anything and we get every recommended (by our PCPs) vaccine. I paid out of pocket for the older shingles shot when I was 50.

Does the ACA cover Shingrx as part of the drug plan? If so you may be able to get your shots at a local pharmacy (if in network for your plan).

Rita

Back
Top Bottom