New Shingrx Shingles Vaccine

They let me do it today. I called again and mentioned I was planning on taking a long RV trip (which was true). So maybe if you insist and have a good reason to do it sooner rather than later.

Got my second dose this morning at Publix. Waited 3 months after first dose.

So far feeling fine except my arm is a tad sore.

Got my second dose this morning at Publix. Waited 3 months after first dose.

So far feeling fine except my arm is a tad sore.

I also just got my second dose - yesterday, in fact. I was expecting it to make my arm more sore than the first one, but I barely felt a thing. However, by evening, I had a mild case of the shivers, and felt as if I was running a very low fever. Same thing on waking up this morning.

However, compared to going down with a case of shingles, it is a small price to pay. Also, it gave me a good excuse to lie around and do very little. In that respect, it's a plus :LOL:

Last edited:
DH and I just got our second shots a little over 5 hrs. ago. I don't want anyone touching my upper arm (it's sore), but other than that all is well. We are not yet on Medicare so both shots for each of us were covered 100% except for a minor $11.69 administrative fee.

I think it's ridiculous that Medicare does not cover this.

DH and I just got our second shots a little over 5 hrs. ago. I don't want anyone touching my upper arm (it's sore), but other than that all is well. We are not yet on Medicare so both shots for each of us were covered 100% except for a minor $11.69 administrative fee.

I think it's ridiculous that Medicare does not cover this.

We got ours before Medicare, as well. Paid 100% by my retiree healthcare.

As I understand it: My HI covers this under medical, with no deductible. Medicare supplements cover it under your part D prescription plan. Depending on your plan, it could be covered, or it could be subject to a deductible ($495 on most plans I have looked at).

In the grand scheme of things, I have seen what shingles can do (to SIL). $180x2x2= $720. Still a bargain compared to getting it. Glad I had it covered, but would pay out of pocket if not.

Can you just goto a pharmacy and say give me the shot, like a flu vaccine? Or do I need to make a doctor visit to get a scrip?

And what is the minimum age at which they will do it?

Can you just goto a pharmacy and say give me the shot, like a flu vaccine? Or do I need to make a doctor visit to get a scrip?

The bold above is exactly what DW and I did. I did call ahead to make sure they had it in stock. It seems the supply issue has finally eased and they said they have in stock most of the time.

As far as a minimum age, I am not sure there is one to get the shot, but there might be one imposed by your insurance carrier for coverage. I would check with them.

One pharmacy I went to said the state required a prescription. Across the border in another state they said no problem, just show up.

You may want to check before going in.

No prescription was required for me. They just asked for my plan D insurance card and my out of pocket cost was $169 for each. I have until August to take the second shot. The cost in my opinion is a small price to pay to protect against shingles.

Raleigh, NC

I just walked up and asked for the shot, no scrip required. Ran through my insurance and was pif.

It's recommended for people age 50 & older. According to webmd:

"What if you're under 50? You can ask your doctor to give you the vaccine. 'The problem is, it's probably not going to be covered by insurance and they will have to pay for it out of pocket,' says Harpaz. Most insurance plans will cover the $280 cost for the two-vaccine series, but only if you get Shingrix at the recommended age."

https://www.webmd.com/skin-problems...904/shingles-on-the-rise-among-younger-people

I got the first shot on Tues morning at Publix Grocery, in Florida. It was covered under Tricare. Now, two days later I am just starting to get back to normal. Within 4 hours of getting the shot, I got the sore arm, chills, fever, body aches, and headache. What a treat! I can't wait til the next one. Hope it is a little better than the first.

My doctor recommended that I get it when I had turned 50 and I also have been receiving post card reminders that I need to get it.

I've been procrastinating as I fear the injection site pain and side effects after watching DH go through it recently for both of his injections. I do need to do it soon.

My doctor recommended that I get it when I had turned 50 and I also have been receiving post card reminders that I need to get it.

I've been procrastinating as I fear the injection site pain and side effects after watching DH go through it recently for both of his injections. I do need to do it soon.

Having had significant injection-site pain AND feeling lousy for several days following the second dose, I understand your reluctance. BUT, having seen DW go through shingles, I assure you that you do NOT want shingles. I'd take the injections, but YMMV.

I got the first shot on Tues morning at Publix Grocery, in Florida. It was covered under Tricare. Now, two days later I am just starting to get back to normal. Within 4 hours of getting the shot, I got the sore arm, chills, fever, body aches, and headache. What a treat! I can't wait til the next one. Hope it is a little better than the first.

Or, it could be like me. I had symptoms similar to yours on the first shot. The second, some arm pain, not bad, but that was it. I was expecting to feel really sick again, but i felt fine. It seems to be different for everyone.

My Insurance won't pay for it unless I get it at the doctors office :facepalm: So stupid.
This is the same doctor office that phoned me to make my appt a tele-appt in the summer. :(

So I'm waiting to get it. Would hate to pick up Covid-19 while in for my shingle shot. :eek:

For anyone who is "thinking about it" or "putting it off" or is going to "do it when they have time" I highly recommend doing it ASAP. A cow#rker of mine is in week two of a severely painful case of shingles. She cannot use her hands at all. She is on pain pills but they only dull the pain, they don't get rid of it. Fortunately her daughter is quarantining with her, so she has someone to do things for her.

She is 70, and told another cow#rker that she thought about getting the shots last year but was "too busy." She regrets that decision every waking moment right now.

I had the two shots in 2018. After the first one my arm was extremely sore for 48 hours, IIRC. After the second one I felt nothing. It varies from person to person, but having seen a church member come down with a severe case years ago I would do anything to avoid that experience.

My Insurance won't pay for it unless I get it at the doctors office :facepalm: So stupid.

Our Pre-Medicare HI would only cover it as a medical claim. DW checked with all her doctors, none gave the shot.

Went back to Insurance company and they said she could get it at a pharmacy, pay upfront, and submit the claim (as a medical claim, not pharmacy). Got fully reimbursed for DW's first shot. When the time came for DW's second shot, Walgreens (or the insurer?) changed something and there was no upfront payment. Walgreens submitted directly as a medical claim. Same for both my shots a few months later.

You might check to see if this would work for you.

This is the same doctor office that phoned me to make my appt a tele-appt in the summer. :(

So I'm waiting to get it. Would hate to pick up Covid-19 while in for my shingle shot. :eek:

Now our doctor clinic won't even offer the shot because the insurance companies around here won't pay for it in a doctor's office. So many patients got mad at the billing office they just decided to back off and let the pharmacies do it. not much consistency...

Our Pre-Medicare HI would only cover it as a medical claim. DW checked with all her doctors, none gave the shot.

Went back to Insurance company and they said she could get it at a pharmacy, pay upfront, and submit the claim (as a medical claim, not pharmacy). Got fully reimbursed for DW's first shot. When the time came for DW's second shot, Walgreens (or the insurer?) changed something and there was no upfront payment. Walgreens submitted directly as a medical claim. Same for both my shots a few months later.

You might check to see if this would work for you.

I know it's our nature to watch every penny and I understand and applaud that. But (and sounding like a broken record) I would have gotten (and did get) my second shot from the very FIRST place I found it available. Out of curiosity, I asked if insurance was going to help (and it DID), but I wouldn't have flinched if they had said "No, and it's gonna cost you a $grand." Broken-record alert: You do NOT want shingles. Painful, potentially long-term disabling and even potentially deadly. End of broken-record rant, so YMMV.:greetings10:

I know it's our nature to watch every penny and I understand and applaud that. But (and sounding like a broken record) I would have gotten (and did get) my second shot from the very FIRST place I found it available. Out of curiosity, I asked if insurance was going to help (and it DID), but I wouldn't have flinched if they had said "No, and it's gonna cost you a $grand." Broken-record alert: You do NOT want shingles. Painful, potentially long-term disabling and even potentially deadly. End of broken-record rant, so YMMV.:greetings10:

No argument here. I would have gotten the vaccine with or with insurance, but with was better.:dance:

No argument here. I would have gotten the vaccine with or with insurance, but with was better.:dance:

+1
A friend got shingles last year. It went to her intestines and was a long and painful experience, nearly 4 months to recover. I do not wish to experience that kind of misery.

The following link has vaccine preparations instructions for pharmacists from the manufacturer, GSK.

https://gskpro.com/en-us/products/shingrix/for-pharmacists/dosage-administration/

It's not a simple procedure. The vaccine must be carefully reconstituted from two different components (adjuvant & antigen), and administered within a few hours to the patient. This is probably why it is typically administered by pharmacists, as opposed to physicians.

The following link has vaccine preparations instructions for pharmacists from the manufacturer, GSK.

https://gskpro.com/en-us/products/shingrix/for-pharmacists/dosage-administration/

It's not a simple procedure. The vaccine must be carefully reconstituted from two different components (adjuvant & antigen), and administered within a few hours to the patient. This is probably why it is typically administered by pharmacists, as opposed to physicians.

It is hardly complicated. Any one who can give injections nurse, MD or medical assistant ( if the state allows the last) could do that easily after reading the instructions once of those directions. Office administration would be driven by issues like insurance reimbursement and ability to keep an appropriate amount on hand for need and safely store it.

It is hardly complicated. Any one who can give injections nurse, MD or medical assistant ( if the state allows the last) could do that easily after reading the instructions once of those directions. Office administration would be driven by issues like insurance reimbursement and ability to keep an appropriate amount on hand for need and safely store it.
Anyone could. But that doesn't mean that anyone should, or is even legally permitted to. I asked a physician friend if anyone other than a pharmacist or physician is allowed to reconstitute the Shingrix vaccine. His answer: "That's a good question." He didn't know.

In addition to precise instructions for reconstituting the vaccine, unlike some other vaccines, the injection needs to go into the deltoid muscle tissue, not subcutaneously. Speaking as someone who had a severe allergic reaction to my 1st Shingrix vaccine, I'm glad that at least I have some confidence that my one Shingrix dose was correctly reconstituted and administered. I wouldn't want either step done by a medical assistant or pharmacy tech.

- - - - - - - - - - -

BTW, when I posted here last year about my severe reaction to my lone Shingrix shot (hearing degradation leading to deafness in one ear; recovered except for the tinnitus, thanks to very prompt treatment) and my statement that I would not be getting the 2nd dose, a few folks here opined that I should get it anyway. Fortunately, I don't take medical advice from random people on the internet. My primary care doctor agreed that I should not get the 2nd shot, and she was aware that a single dose provides substantial protection against contracting shingles. She put in my electronic medical records that I am "allergic to Shingrix". Even GSK states that a 2nd Shingrix shot is contraindicated for me. (It is probably the adjuvant, not the antigen, which caused my severe reaction. The adjuvant in Shingrix had never been used in a human vaccine before. I just hope that if an effective vaccine is developed for the coronavirus, it doesn't use the same new adjuvant as Shingrix.)

There is also more information available now about the efficacy of a single dosage of Shingrix. GSK's own data states:

"VE [95% confidence interval(CI)] of 1 dose of Shingrix in adults 50 years of age and70years of age (data from the pooled analysis from both studies) was 90.8%(62.1-99.00%) and 69.5% (24.9-89.1%) respectively."

https://www.publichealthmdc.com/documents/Efficacy%20After%20One%20Dose%20i.pdf

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom