New Shingrx Shingles Vaccine

Ugh! Second shot was worse than the first. Woke up shivering so hard the bed was shaking. Couldn't get warm. Have felt crappy all day and still cold. Thankfully I'm done with shingrix now.

I had those awful chills too, made my teeth chatter both times. Felt pretty much ok the next day, just a slight headache. I'd do it again though if necessary to avoid getting the shingles.

I had my second shot a couple of days ago. No symptoms at all. I played golf that afternoon. Actually, I guess I should blame the three putts on the injection. It can't possibly be because I am a bad putter!

Yikes!

I have that to look forward to in January.

How much time between your first and second shots?

I had less reaction to the second Shingrix shot than I did the first. In any event the minor reaction to the Shingrix shot is nothing compared to the awful experience I had to Shingles--take my word for it you don't want Shingles. I still have some pain for the Shingles after 20 years....

Due to availability I got my first on the mainland where, apparently the vaccine was plentiful - second shot was here in the Islands where I looked for over a year for it. I hope that doesn't compromise the immunity.

Have heard all sorts of stories regarding this 2 part vaccination.
But for me was essentially a non event for the first dose.
Guess we see how the second goes in 3 months.

The first generation Shingles shot back 6 years was the most
painful shot I’ve ever had with regards to after effects.

Have heard all sorts of stories regarding this 2 part vaccination.
But for me was essentially a non event for the first dose.
Guess we see how the second goes in 3 months.

The first generation Shingles shot back 6 years was the most
painful shot I’ve ever had with regards to after effects.

Heh, heh, so far, even with some fairly unpleasant side effects mentioned, I've not heard anything even approaching a case of actual shingles. Mentioned elsewhere, DW had an "attack" many years back. Just dreadful and hers wasn't anything close to as bad as it can bet. From hips to knees on one side looked like a cat had used her for a scratching post - for several days. Pain was bad. BUT, she had no lasting effects and it cleared relatively quickly according to her doc. Still, I'd go though a lot to avoid it - and was happy to endure the side effects. YMMV

Heh, heh, so far, even with some fairly unpleasant side effects mentioned, I've not heard anything even approaching a case of actual shingles. Mentioned elsewhere, DW had an "attack" many years back. Just dreadful and hers wasn't anything close to as bad as it can bet. From hips to knees on one side looked like a cat had used her for a scratching post - for several days. Pain was bad. BUT, she had no lasting effects and it cleared relatively quickly according to her doc. Still, I'd go though a lot to avoid it - and was happy to endure the side effects. YMMV

Yes! We had a couple lab assistants at the clinical lab where I worked. I’d never seen shingles up close. One was relatively mild, but the other was laid up for 3 weeks and had “phantom” pain for months after his finally resolved. Get the shot!

Had the first shot mid-afternoon on October 5th. My arm wasn't sore, but a few hours later the skin on the back of my neck and upper back felt very irritated -- but wasn't red. That lasted about 6 hours. Weird. No other after-effects, which I attribute to internal application of Naproxin and red wine, and external application of ice (frozen veg) to the injection site for a couple of hours during the evening.

Round two will be the week of Dec 7 -- I want to get it out of the way as quickly as possible!

I just went to get my shot, there was a 30 minute wait. I didn't wait, she said come back at 6am, they give senior shots then.
I might make it.

I just went to get my shot, there was a 30 minute wait. I didn't wait, she said come back at 6am, they give senior shots then.
I might make it.
OK, showed up at Walmart Pharmacy a few minutes after 6am. Had my shot at 6:20am, now 4 hrs later arm is a little bit sore. I wanted to start getting this out of the way before the Covid Vaccine is available.

I got my flu and Shingles shot together on October 21st at Walmart. I can get the second Shingles shot Dec 21st and it was recommended to get before year end as my Medicare Advantage plan will increase the co-pay for the shot next year. No problems from getting shots together for flu and shingles.

My wife had the shot a week ago and never had any side effects or discomfort. Next one will be in February.
I haven't taken the shots not sure I will or not at some time.

OK, showed up at Walmart Pharmacy a few minutes after 6am. Had my shot at 6:20am, now 4 hrs later arm is a little bit sore. I wanted to start getting this out of the way before the Covid Vaccine is available.

My arm was a little sore at noon, took a couple of Ibuprofin and took a nap, well a little sleep and listened to two old time radio shows. When I got up. my arm was less sore. Now 30hrs later not much pain.
Overall it was a nothing burger.

DH and I got our first shot today. His doc said medicare would pay more if he went to a pharmacy and got the shot, so we made appts and went to CVS.

He got a pneumonia shot and a shingrix shot. His copay was $47. Unfortunately my BCBS would not pay for shingrix at the pharmacy. I had to go to a minute clinic. So off we go to a CVS minute clinic about a mile away. I got my shot and the cost was 0. We'll both go back in two months to get the second shot.

DH said his shots hurt, but my shot didn't bother me. I felt it, but I wouldn't consider it painful. We took ibuprofen when we got back home.

Now we wait to see if we have any side effects. :p

DH and I got our first shot today. His doc said medicare would pay more if he went to a pharmacy and got the shot, so we made appts and went to CVS.

He got a pneumonia shot and a shingrix shot. His copay was $47. Unfortunately my BCBS would not pay for shingrix at the pharmacy. I had to go to a minute clinic. So off we go to a CVS minute clinic about a mile away. I got my shot and the cost was 0. :p

Was it medicare or his part D that paid for his? I'm on medicare and had to pay $170.90 for the first shot and in two months another $179.90.

Was it medicare or his part D that paid for his? I'm on medicare and had to pay $170.90 for the first shot and in two months another $179.90.
Ahhhh sorry, I should have gone into more detail. DH does have a drug plan with Well Care.

The pharmacy employee asked for his medicare card and drug card. After she rang up the pneumonia shot and shingrix shot, the total to be paid was $47. We're not sure if the amount owed was because of benefits from both cards or not. I'm not on medicare (yet) and dh hasn't been on it long, so it's still a bit confusing. When he gets his second shot in a couple of months, we have no idea what he'll have to pay.

Last edited:
The Pneumonia shot is covered 100% as a preventive under Medicare Part B.

Shingrix shots are not covered by Part B, but are covered by a Part D drug plan, at whatever price the specific drug plan pays for it, at whatever pharmacy one chooses, depending if Standard or Preferred pharmacy. After the Part D plan's deductible is met.

The Pneumonia shot is covered 100% as a preventive under Medicare Part B.

Shingrix shots are not covered by Part B, but are covered by a Part D drug plan, at whatever price the specific drug plan pays for it, at whatever pharmacy one chooses, depending if Standard or Preferred pharmacy. After the Part D plan's deductible is met.

Just one more reason I got my shots with zero copay before hitting 65 y.o.

Ahhhh sorry, I should have gone into more detail. DH does have a drug plan with Well Care.

The pharmacy employee asked for his medicare card and drug card. After she rang up the pneumonia shot and shingrix shot, the total to be paid was $47. We're not sure if the amount owed was because of benefits from both cards or not. I'm not on medicare (yet) and dh hasn't been on it long, so it's still a bit confusing. When he gets his second shot in a couple of months, we have no idea what he'll have to pay.

Hmmm. I have a supplement with Wellcare but had to pay $160 for the shingrix shot a few weeks ago at CVS. Also got a pneumonia the same day. Maybe I have a different Wellcare plan.

I got my first shot yesterday, my wife got her second. Both of us have sore arms, she also has a headache.

We got the shots at CVS. Insurance paid, i had shingles a few years ago and i definatly don’t want them again.

I guess I need to get a pneumonia shot next.

Shingrix at Kroger for free covered by ACA and we both had a sore arm for about two days. The soreness was about 5x what the flu shot was. Been over a week and no other side effects.

I got my first shot yesterday, my wife got her second. Both of us have sore arms, she also has a headache.

We got the shots at CVS. Insurance paid, i had shingles a few years ago and i definatly don’t want them again.

I guess I need to get a pneumonia shot next.
I had them when I was 16...excruciating pain that no one should ever have to endure.

So far, the only 'reaction' dh and I have from the shot is sore arms. I hope y'all feel better soon.

Back
Top Bottom