Old Medic how are you doing

YIPPEEEEEE !!!!!!!! I'M GOING HOME....

The infection Dr has approve changing me to oral antibiotics, and the wound care part is not an issue. so my possible Thursday is now a definite Wednesday afternoon.
Wont have to deal with any home heath care and will come back here for continued out patient PT.
1st thing on the agenda.... getting nakid and taking a real shower... since I havent had one since the evening of May 12th
Awesome. Get plenty of good sleep.

Great news Old Medic, nothing like able to go home after being in the hospital as long as you have been. Enjoy the quiet and familiar surroundings.

Sorry, thought that was a common term. It means you only wash the pits, t*ts, and dirty bits.

PD is totally different than hemodialysis, which is what you're describing. They've inserted a tube through my belly into my abdominal cavity. A few times a day I attach an iv-type bag of fluid (water and dextrose) that drains into my abdomen, and I let it sit there for a number of hours. Then I drain it back out and dispose of it and it accomplishes pretty much the same thing as the blood exchange, but it gives me a lot more flexibility for traveling and doing things on my own.

Ah, yes. You know, I recall a MASH episode where they did that. I think Hawk and Beeg had heard about it and tried it - and it w*rked.

Thanks for the info.:flowers:

By the way, maybe call them "naughty bits." The British came up with that IIRC. Descriptive with out being too descriptive - not that I'm a prude.:greetings10:

Terrific news. We will expect to hear you ran the whole hot water heater out in one go.

I did..... long black hose sitting in the sun... and it didnt take long. But it sure beat bathing in a bucket. Stripped down and removed the bandages, setting on the porch took the garden soaker wand ass a shower head, lathered and rinsed twice, and sun dried... so heavenly I heard harps playing.
well until the cold second rinse.

I did..... long black hose sitting in the sun... and it didnt take long. But it sure beat bathing in a bucket. Stripped down and removed the bandages, setting on the porch took the garden soaker wand ass a shower head, lathered and rinsed twice, and sun dried... so heavenly I heard harps playing.

Heh, heh, this thread is useless without pictures!!:cool:

That's the ticket. Way to go Old Medic.

It's great to be home, but been lots of adaptations. I can't get in the shower, so its garden hose on the deck. sorry folks no pics. Being non weight bearing on the left leg and the rods still healing in the right lower leg makes for so much fun. I can manage to get around short distances with crutches or a walker. crutches are basically for getting up the 2 steps into the camper or bedroom, use the walker in the small main area of the camper. Have ramps up tp the camper deck and the house so I can get from one to the other. But doesn't matter since I can't do much once I get to there.
I can get in the truck easy enough, and can drive, although DW didn't like hearing that. My brother goes with me and gets the wheelchair in and out so I get to PT twice a week.
DW goes to any Dr appointments. the postponed surgery is now set for 8/1 to close the hip wound and do any skin graft if needed.
Thanks and stay tuned

Thank you for the update Old Medic. I'm glad to hear your brother and DW are going with you for your Doc/ PT visits.

:flowers:

May God give you the patience to get through this challenge. We're all hoping for a full and swift recovery. Hang in there, old medic. We all care.

Each day brings more healing, and hopefully every day you can do a bit more.
Glad you have a date for next surgery, will be thinking of you.

How are things going since you been home? I bet improving each day and being home you will heal better than any other place.

How are things going since you been home? I bet improving each day and being home you will heal better than any other place.

Its great to be home, but its got it dark side. I find myself more aggravated at what I cant manage to do. DW and I worked on sorting stuff out in the garage yesterday. At wheelchair level reaching up or over stuff is impossible. We loaded the bed of the pickup with stuff to go to our storage building where she had to unload by herself.... while I set home on my butt.

Its great to be home, but its got it dark side. I find myself more aggravated at what I cant manage to do. DW and I worked on sorting stuff out in the garage yesterday. At wheelchair level reaching up or over stuff is impossible. We loaded the bed of the pickup with stuff to go to our storage building where she had to unload by herself.... while I set home on my butt.
I understand what you are saying hard not to do what you want to.

Things will come around and things could be worse. You are very lucky to have a great partner to be there and help you.

Please keep us updated and pretty soon you will up and dancing. Lol

Been there, doing that. Not nearly the shape you are in, old medic (thank God) but I'm on two canes right now (long stories) as I just ditched the walker - I think. I have to let DW do almost everything for me. (I took my first solo shower today! After almost a month. Yippee!) Heh, heh, when we were younger, we usually did shower together, but that may be TMI.

The first few times I had to ask DW for help, I almost cried. I think of my self as the one who gets the stuff off the top shelf and the one who opens the pickles and the one who pulls his weight with daily chores like dishes and laundry and cleaning the toilets. Now that I can't do those things, it pains me to see DW doing them alone. She says it's okay, because I took care of her for the 3 months she had a torn tendon in her foot. She was in a wheel chair and couldn't get into the bathroom. I'll not go into detail. We kinda figured our marriage was in good shape after these 50 years, but when you have to take care of the other person, you KNOW it.

SO, my advice, old medic, glory in the fact that your DW really loves you and it is an act of love to fill in for you right now. You'll be back soon. You'll have a stronger relationship because you have seen love demonstrated.

I've seen it, and lived it. Blessings and aloha.

Hey Koolau, prayers and good MOJO for you to heal up fast.

Well yesterday went in for surgery #7, thankfully it was outpatient, and was heading home before noon. They closed the wound on my left hip and done a skin graft to help cover it. Non weight bearing on the left leg another 2-4 weeks and still cant get in the shower.. DW helps me wash out on the deck. I'm about tempted to get a small camping water heater, The hose method works, but you go from scalding hot to 54-degree water in short order. My getting around is getting better, unfortunately I'm prone to over due it and pay for it later.

Well yesterday went in for surgery #7, thankfully it was outpatient, and was heading home before noon. They closed the wound on my left hip and done a skin graft to help cover it. Non weight bearing on the left leg another 2-4 weeks and still cant get in the shower.. DW helps me wash out on the deck. I'm about tempted to get a small camping water heater, The hose method works, but you go from scalding hot to 54-degree water in short order. My getting around is getting better, unfortunately I'm prone to over due it and pay for it later.

Slow but steady, old medic. Slow but steady. Thanks for the update.

Sounds like another successful surgery for you. Continued well wishes for healing sent your way.

Can you get a shower hose wand for your shower head so you can bathe inside with a shower chair to avoid the hot/cold issue and keep your wounds dry? or could a home health visit via nurse/OT/PT come by to help set something up for you besides the hose method? Sounds uncomfortable.
If this was the last open wound, hopefully the skin graft heals quickly and you can use your regular shower with a chair.

Continued well wishes for healing sent your way.
Can you get a shower hose wand for your shower head so you can bathe inside

Thanks.... we already have the shower wand, unfortunately the issue is getting in and out of the shower. Its a corner tub unit thats large for a camper, but to small for a chair and still have any room.
BUT... heres the kick in the head.... Both of us forgot that theres an outside shower on the back of the camper :facepalm:

Progress report from the Dr perspective....
Skin graft has taken and healing well, the donor site further down the thigh is also healing, but hurts 10X the actual graft site.
Ortho Dr took xrays, says everything is looking good. Has approved for me to stand unassisted as tolerated but no walking until Sept follow-up.
Had to test the standing.... Got my 1st real shower since May!!!! So Yall can stop driving by the house.

We got the Bike moved to the house and the rebuild has begun.

Back
Top Bottom