Doed Medicare pay for 2nd or 3rd opinion Dr visits?

Momcpa

Recycles dryer sheets
Husband's long time (over 30 years) rheumatologist retired last summer. He was about a 2 hr drive away from us......we had followed him from a previous closer location when he relocated years ago. We really liked him and didn't mind the distance too much. After the Doc's retirement we thought we'd find someone closer to us. Husband has had 2 appts with the new closer one, but due to her thick accent and my husband's loss of hearing, it doesn't seem to be the best choice. If for some reason I can't go with him, husband wouldn't be able to understand some things or catch everything being said.

So we opted to try the doctor who is replacing his original long time doctor. Said we will just figure on driving the 2+ hours for visits again and stay with the same medical organization. We had that appt earlier this week. My husband said the doctor was "just okay", but he didn't feel that they really clicked. Then this morning we see an announcement that a new rheumatologist is accepting patients close to us and is a member of the same group as husband's general practitioner.

If we schedule a visit with her, do you think that Medicare and our supplemental insurance will cover that visit? It would be comparable to a '3rd opinion' I guess. I think what we are doing is "shopping for a compatible doctor". I think it's a good idea to find a good match for his arthritis care (he has it pretty severe) and that we shouldn't have to settle for someone if it doesn't feel like the right match. And maybe we are spoiled because of his very first doctor was so great for so many years.. But we are wondering how it's looked at from the insurer's desk.

Any thoughts or experience would be appreciated. Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom