Old Medic how are you doing

Been there, doing that. Not nearly the shape you are in, old medic (thank God) but I'm on two canes right now (long stories) as I just ditched the walker - I think. I have to let DW do almost everything for me. (I took my first solo shower today! After almost a month. Yippee!) Heh, heh, when we were younger, we usually did shower together, but that may be TMI.

The first few times I had to ask DW for help, I almost cried. I think of my self as the one who gets the stuff off the top shelf and the one who opens the pickles and the one who pulls his weight with daily chores like dishes and laundry and cleaning the toilets. Now that I can't do those things, it pains me to see DW doing them alone. She says it's okay, because I took care of her for the 3 months she had a torn tendon in her foot. She was in a wheel chair and couldn't get into the bathroom. I'll not go into detail. We kinda figured our marriage was in good shape after these 50 years, but when you have to take care of the other person, you KNOW it.

SO, my advice, old medic, glory in the fact that your DW really loves you and it is an act of love to fill in for you right now. You'll be back soon. You'll have a stronger relationship because you have seen love demonstrated.

I've seen it, and lived it. Blessings and aloha.
Ohhh, I wish you the best Koolau, please take care Sir. There is always someone else worse off.
Blessing to both of you.

Progress report from the Dr perspective....
Skin graft has taken and healing well, the donor site further down the thigh is also healing, but hurts 10X the actual graft site.
Ortho Dr took xrays, says everything is looking good. Has approved for me to stand unassisted as tolerated but no walking until Sept follow-up.
Had to test the standing.... Got my 1st real shower since May!!!! So Yall can stop driving by the house.

We got the Bike moved to the house and the rebuild has begun.

Thanks old medic for keeping the updates. We all appreciate it and I know everyone is cheering you on. Keep on keep on one day at a time.

Skin graft has taken and healing well, the donor site further down the thigh is also healing, but hurts 10X the actual graft site.
Ortho Dr took xrays, says everything is looking good. Has approved for me to stand unassisted as tolerated but no walking until Sept follow-up.
Had to test the standing.... Got my 1st real shower since May!!!! So Yall can stop driving by the house.

Great news!! Especially the move to the indoor shower.

Glad to hear you are progressing. And it will take a long time to get back to some semblance of normal. I was in a bad car wreck years ago (almost died) and it took 2 full years to get back to what I call the "living". And I was a lot younger then. I'm full of pins plates!

Hey, there's nothing like a shower! How soon we take things like that for granted!

Are you planning to get back on the bike when you are healed up? :confused:

So glad to hear things are progressing - so happy you were able to stand and get a real shower! Huge step forward towards normalcy!

Glad you are improving. I can relate to the shower. Were you offered the chance to be trained on picc line/IV so you could do it yourself, at home? That's what I did last year.

What insurance are you using, and how well is it covering the costs?

Thanks old medic for keeping the updates. We all appreciate it and I know everyone is cheering you on. Keep on keep on one day at a time.

Yes, adding my thanks for the update and great progress report (heh, heh, keep us posted on the bike as well!):cool:

I'm one of many who are cheering you on! So happy to hear that you can now take a proper shower!! Very happy with your steady progress!

Were you offered the chance to be trained on picc line/IV so you could do it yourself, at home?

I retired after 36 years as a Paramedic... I could teach it ... LOL..
But thankfully It came out before I came home.

What insurance are you using, and how well is it covering the costs?

Insurance is BCBS and so far very pleased. Met my out of pocket before I woke up.

What a journey Old Medic. I'm glad you're continuing making progress - and yes - we will stop driving by the house!

Are you planning to get back on the bike when you are healed up? :confused:

The 1st time I was asked, I thought of the old Evel Knievel movie where he gets carried out to his bike, still in a cast, and starts riding around the hospital parking lot. That would be me.... When I 1st went and seen the bike, I was in a wheelchair, but could stand using a walked, seriously considered taking it for a spin around the parking lot... DW FIRMLY invoked her Warden status..

The 1st time I was asked, I thought of the old Evel Knievel movie where he gets carried out to his bike, still in a cast, and starts riding around the hospital parking lot. That would be me.... When I 1st went and seen the bike, I was in a wheelchair, but could stand using a walked, seriously considered taking it for a spin around the parking lot... DW FIRMLY invoked her Warden status..

Heh, heh, sometimes our wives get it right, don't they?

Bide your time old medic. You'll be on the bike before you know it.:)

Heh, heh, sometimes our wives get it right, don't they?
Bide your time old medic. You'll be on the bike before you know it.:)

Yeah take the time to heal well. You don't want to fall again. Especially if you are not mostly healed up. You need to be able to operate all the controls. Especially that front brake. :cool:

Happy graduation Day:confused: I can officially give up the wheelchair per the DR orders. Been using a walker and crutches for short distances, but yesterday I went to PT on crutches. Then walked around the hospital to visit the staff that cared for me and I use to work with.
By the time I got home the pain caught up, and paying for it still today.

Thanks for the update. Still pulling for you, old medic. Don't over do, but never give up!:)

Good improvement, and it will continue, step by step.
Glad you are doing well, but don't overdo!

Glad to hear that you graduated from the wheelchair. Don't overdo and rest up when you need to rest.

Sounds like you are progressing well. How long will you have to go to PT?

Good going, old medic!!

Happy graduation Day:confused: I can officially give up the wheelchair per the DR orders. Been using a walker and crutches for short distances, but yesterday I went to PT on crutches. Then walked around the hospital to visit the staff that cared for me and I use to work with.
By the time I got home the pain caught up, and paying for it still today.

Wow! You are doing great. So glad to hear about it. :D :dance:

Great news!!! I bet that is a such a good feeling to be able to get up and be mobile on crutches or walker. The progress is good for the mind and soul and for healing.

Please keep us updated and always good to hear your reports. Thanks!!!

Like many here I've been following this thread. Glad to see you are back home and doing so much better.

And to be perfectly honest, I "was" considering getting me another bike after 40+ years without one. Even had it down to a few models. Now, not so much.

Last edited:
Keep up the good work.

Back
Top Bottom