Old Medic how are you doing

How are things going and is your progress improving?

Thanks for asking Street. Depending on who you ask, I'm doing great. I just don't buy into it. A am more mobile and that makes me work on things, and then I'm exhausted. Using the wheeled walker most of the time, but about 10% is now with a cane. PT has been going well, building strength but still have a long way to go. Now have a brace for the foot drop issue and seems to help.
Pain management is a whole other issue.

One day at a time, sounds like progress is being made, and that is a great thing.

Thanks

One day at a time old medic. Hope you get to 100% or close enough.
I suppose it will have to be in due course of events. Heal well, don't overdo it. :)

The DW and I just got back from a week long camping rally we have been going to since it started 13 years ago. These are some of the folks that came and worked on the house, and are coming in 2 weeks to camp here for the weekend and sheetrock the house. We had a 3 week 2500 mile trip planed in June, and had bought new tires for the camper. So, for PT it was changing tires. Once we got the camper set up, I went to work. Doing one at a time, I pulled tires off, brought them about 3/4 mile to a shop and got them mounted and balanced. It only took me 6 and a half hours.... when the other started getting there I got chewed out because I didn't wait for them to get there to help. Gotta love these folks.
On the health and home front,
The house is insulated and have passed all the inspections but the final one. Sheetrock is next.... YIPPEE
Healing is progressing, most folks are amazed at it and I guess I should be happier with it, I mean tomorrow it will have been 5 months and I can hobble without anything for several feet.

Sounds like you have some loyal friends to help. Great friends are worth more than gold. Your health and recovery look like it is coming alone well. From where you were till now you have done well.

Thank you for the update, people really want to know how you are coming alone.

Last edited:
Sounds like you have some loyal friends to help. Great friends are worth more than gold. Your health and recovery look like it is coming alone well. From where you were till now you have done well.

Thank you for the update, people really want to know how you are coming alone.

Yes indeed. Thank you Old Medic. :greetings10:

Wonderful news, old medic! Thank you for the update.
You are also blessed with great friends.

Good to hear the progress on your house and on your healing up. It's good to do some work as part of what you called your PT. Just don't overdo it, the working is good for healing. I concur with the rest, you have a great group of friends.

Good to hear the progress on your house and on your healing up. It's good to do some work as part of what you called your PT. Just don't overdo it, the working is good for healing. I concur with the rest, you have a great group of friends.
+1

Thanks for sharing your progress with us, old medic. We are still pulling for you!

The DW and I just got back from a week long camping rally we have been going to since it started 13 years ago. These are some of the folks that came and worked on the house, and are coming in 2 weeks to camp here for the weekend and sheetrock the house. We had a 3 week 2500 mile trip planed in June, and had bought new tires for the camper. So, for PT it was changing tires. Once we got the camper set up, I went to work. Doing one at a time, I pulled tires off, brought them about 3/4 mile to a shop and got them mounted and balanced. It only took me 6 and a half hours.... when the other started getting there I got chewed out because I didn't wait for them to get there to help. Gotta love these folks.
On the health and home front,
The house is insulated and have passed all the inspections but the final one. Sheetrock is next.... YIPPEE
Healing is progressing, most folks are amazed at it and I guess I should be happier with it, I mean tomorrow it will have been 5 months and I can hobble without anything for several feet.

That's impressive. All I did was break my hip and I couldn't walk without an assistive device for 5 months. It was 7 months before I could do pretty much all normal activities. You seem to be doing very well. Hope there is not much pain as that is just as important as the mobility IMO.

That's impressive. All I did was break my hip and I couldn't walk without an assistive device for 5 months. It was 7 months before I could do pretty much all normal activities. You seem to be doing very well. Hope there is not much pain as that is just as important as the mobility IMO.

Yeah, I was just sitting here thinking how much stuff I need to do and do not feel like doing it (back issues now.) I was thinking to myself:

"Self! Maybe YOU should have a motorcycle accident like old medic and THEN maybe YOU would get some stuff done as you are healing up!":LOL:

Fortunately, I don't have a motorcycle, and don't really know how to ride one, so I guess I'll just wait for my back stimulator and pray that it w*rks for me. Supposed to be Thursday for my temporary to see if the stimulation will help.

Maybe YOU should have a motorcycle accident like old medic and THEN maybe YOU would get some stuff done as you are healing up!":LOL:
I guess I'll just wait for my back stimulator and pray that it w*rks for me.

I highly recomend you don't try that... take it from me...
I have a TENS unit that I've used for years on my back and shoulder, did help. I currently have been using it to try and stimulate the nerves to lift my left foot.

I highly recomend you don't try that... take it from me...
I have a TENS unit that I've used for years on my back and shoulder, did help. I currently have been using it to try and stimulate the nerves to lift my left foot.

Heh, heh, I'm sure you're right. Sorta like the guy who beat his head against the wall so it would feel better when he stopped.:LOL:

Best of luck with the TENS for the foot. All I'm dealing with is back pain - likely spinal stenosis.

I'm guessing you have lots of pain in a lot of different places. Just hearing you describe the extent of your injuries made me hurt. You're rapidly becoming one of my FIRE heroes. Best wishes.

That's impressive. All I did was break my hip and I couldn't walk without an assistive device for 5 months.
Hope there is not much pain as that is just as important as the mobility IMO.

Well I celebrated yesterday by only using my cane, all day! Got a lot of attention walking into PT. Paying for it this morning.
The pain is the main thing hindering me. I have plenty of Oxy, but don't take it unless its nearly unbearable. Only have taken 2 in the last 3 weeks. I have always been one to NOT take ANY pain meds. If its injured and hurts, then blocking the pain can cause you to injure it even more. Before the DW would get concerned if I asked for Tylenol, I'm now eating that stuff like candy. Going to Pain Managment and they had to count the meds I had, and the Doc was surprised at what I still had, and the fact I didn't want more or stronger.

I'm guessing you have lots of pain in a lot of different places. Just hearing you describe the extent of your injuries made me hurt. You're rapidly becoming one of my FIRE heroes. Best wishes.

Thanks... Glad to hear I'm almost a Hero... :2funny:

Well I celebrated yesterday by only using my cane, all day! Got a lot of attention walking into PT. Paying for it this morning.
The pain is the main thing hindering me. I have plenty of Oxy, but don't take it unless its nearly unbearable. Only have taken 2 in the last 3 weeks. I have always been one to NOT take ANY pain meds. If its injured and hurts, then blocking the pain can cause you to injure it even more. Before the DW would get concerned if I asked for Tylenol, I'm now eating that stuff like candy. Going to Pain Managment and they had to count the meds I had, and the Doc was surprised at what I still had, and the fact I didn't want more or stronger.

Good not to take too much, however, decreasing pain lets you rest and lets your body heal. Narcotics do have a place in pain management.
Glad you are continuing to move forward in recovery. Walking with a cane is great, but don't overdo! :)

I mean tomorrow it will have been 5 months and I can hobble without anything for several feet.

Well yesterday was 26 weeks, tomorrow 6 months since my wreck. Going back and reading this thread has enlightened my heart today and I needed that. Half a year, sometimes it feels like yesterday, other times so long ago. Starting with me, the slow improvements are there. I'm only using a cane, Even stopped bringing the rolling walker when we go out. I can even just use a shopping cart to get around the store. The foot drop brace is a big help, but still get tripped up. The worse weakness is on the left, Cant lead with that foot climbing stairs, and need my arms to help stand up.
The house... Man what a great time we had. Had 4 campers and about 20 folks helping out at some point over the 3 day weekend and got all the sheetrock put up. Bonfire and beverages every night. Since then I've been working on mudding. I cant get the ceiling and shuffling around 2-3 hours I'm done for the day. But its getting there. Pain management, I'm dealing with it, but seriously wanting to get off all the meds. Seen my Primary Care Dr for my regular physical on Tuesday... Hès such an ass... goes over my blood work, and says I'm healthy as a horse, but if I was a horse, they would have to shoot me... :facepalm:

Now for the DW. Its been a stress filled whirlwind for the last month. She had her regular physical, clean bill of health. The Dr sent her for a routine chest CT scan because she is a smoker. They find some small masses and send her for a PET scan. The Dr there says she has 3 masses he is concerned about and wants to do a biopsy. A week later she goes in and 2 spots are negative, But the 3rd they couldn't get enough to rule out cancer, so tomorrow she is going in and they will open her up and remove the area of concern since it also involves a lymph node. 2-3 days in the hospital, out of work at least 6 weeks.

Seeing what you hit you are a very lucky man Old Medic. I thank you for the update and sounds like you are doing good and have the positive attitude.

I also hope for the best with your DW and all goes well.

Thank you for the update.
Best wishes for continued healing for you and DW.
Praying that her surgery, recovery go well and biopsy results are negative.

Back
Top Bottom