Older, thinner, faster

3:19
It is truly hard to believe that a human can run 26 something miles in that little time (and live). I think that is my time for a 5k.

Congrats Running Bum. Your accomplishment is inspirational.

Free to canoe

Recently I've made the following discovery: If I include an all-out sprint, or hard hill climb on the bike, even if it is for only 30 seconds or so, it seems to make me feel better later in the day. If I started my run feeling kind of tired, this seems to rejuvenate me. If I don't include a sprint, I might be just as tired later in the day as before running.

I first noticed this after surfing, which often includes mandatory all-out efforts (to avoid being squashed by a wave). I'd be surprised to find that I was less tired after surfing than before (or perhaps tired but feeling good).

Anyone else notice this? Is it my imagination?
I do feel better if I add at some intervals to my workout, but I haven't been nearly as rigorous about it. I delighted to learn about your results. Just one interval has major benefits - wow! Now I'm going to be more rigorous about this 'cause you can always talk yourself into one!

Audrey

There's probably a complicated explanation involving fast-twitch and slow-twitch muscle fibers.

But I think it's the huge shot of adrenaline released into the bloodstream...

Recently I've made the following discovery: If I include an all-out sprint, or hard hill climb on the bike, even if it is for only 30 seconds or so, it seems to make me feel better later in the day. If I started my run feeling kind of tired, this seems to rejuvenate me. If I don't include a sprint, I might be just as tired later in the day as before running.

I first noticed this after surfing, which often includes mandatory all-out efforts (to avoid being squashed by a wave). I'd be surprised to find that I was less tired after surfing than before (or perhaps tired but feeling good).

Hmm, most of my speed work was longer, like intervals of 600 meters to a mile, so after even a couple of these you are pretty tired.

But there were some 100 meter "strides", which are full speed runs but not cops-chasing-you effort, intended to improve running form. The plan called for 6 to 10 of them, with enough break in between to fully recover, since it was for form and not part of endurance. I guess I did feel pretty good after those. I'm not sure what the physical reasons would be. Rush of adrenaline?

I remember being in my 30s and coming to the (false) realization that I was getting old and would never accomplish one of my life ambitions to run a marathon. A few years later I got inspired, shed some weight, and ran my first marathon at 39, in a respectable time.

Getting into my mid 40s, I kept running marathons and ultras but gradually got a big slower, sometimes had to run with pain, and my weight drifted back up. I resigned myself to the (again, false) fact that I would never run a marathon as fast as my first.

This summer I had more time on my hands since my kid is in college and I cut work to 1/2 time, so I decided to take another shot at a serious marathon training program.

I lost the weight I had gained back, and kept losing until last week I actually got down to the weight I remember being when I went out for football my junior year of high school. That was during a 3-day very low carb diet getting ready to carb load before a race this past weekend, so 3 pounds came back on, but it was still a kick to get down to that weight even if just for a day or two.

I won't bore you with the details of my running program, but it was a lot of miles including some fast ones. And I stretched and did core exercise almost every day.

My goal marathon was Sunday, the Steamtown marathon from Forest City to Scranton, PA. My goal was 3:30, to qualify to run Boston next year. That's 11 minutes better than my best time. But from my training and times in shorter races this year, I thought I could do even better, so I went out at a faster pace. I finished in 3:19.

It's probably a silly thing to see how fast you can run when you're a month from turning 49, but I got a lot of satisfaction from setting a goal, working very hard at it, and exceeding the goal.

I think it also shows that you CAN turn back the clock and get yourself back in better shape even if you've slipped some. Take it one step at a time but keep at it. I'm in the best shape of my life, or at least since I competed in high school sports.

:clap::clap::clap:

yeah baby!

Harder, better, faster, stronger....!

There's some data that suggests that interval training can increase HGH production. Maybe one is enough to see an effect? I posted a thread on it a couple of years ago:

http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f29/fountain-of-youth-20664.html

I started a half marathon training program 5 weeks ago as a way to stay motivated with my workouts.

After 5 weeks I can see an improvement in my fitness, however even though I am the same age as the OP, I doubt if I will ever be able to run a half marathon in the time he did a marathon. I think one of the biggest struggles with long distance running is the mental aspect. I find after about 10 minutes I think what is the point of what I am doing.

I am also thinking of doing the half marathon in HOnolulu next June, I figure if I dangle a carrot of a trip to a nice location in front of my nose, hopefully it will encourage me to see this one thru. I've always fantasised about doing the Hawaii Ironman or running the Boston Marathon, but 5 minutes later I am back flopping on the couch.

Congratulations. You should feel proud of your accomplishments. You didn't say exactly how much weight you lost. You must have been in fairly decent shape to begin with. I find running tough on the joints and back. Biking and walking are easier on the body, less wear and tear.

Good luck Danger Mouse. There's (almost) always someone faster than you, and someone slower. Run for yourself.

I went from about 181 in May when I ran my previous marathon to as low as 160, but I think I was about 162 race morning. I was definitely in good enough shape to run marathons before, but losing the weight help the speed a lot and took a lot of stress off my joints and kept me from breaking down in the 2nd half of the race.

I find running tough on the joints and back. Biking and walking are easier on the body, less wear and tear.

This year DW and I have been doing "water running" and the trainer runs the classes using interval training techniques. It's a great way to get your heart rate up without impacting the joints at all and we often have runners join the class for few weeks who have achilles tendon or other injuries or surgeries and need to maintain their fitness levels.

You will not be able to achieve as high a heart rate running in the water as running on land. A study from the famed Karolinska Institute in Stockholm found that heart rate is 8-11 beats per minute lower for the same oxygen uptake when running in the water compared to normal running. This study also found maximal heart rate on average to be 16 beats per minute lower during all-out water running compared to land running. Lower heart rates during water running are primarily due to the pressure of water on the body which makes more blood return to the heart so more blood is pumped with each heart beat. A useful rule of thumb is that heart rates during water running are about 10% lower than during land running. If you get your heart rate up to 140 beats per minute in the water, that is roughly equal to 154 beats per minute during normal running. The temperature of the water affects your heart rate during deep water running. Your heart rate will be lower in cool water and higher in warm water. In addition, two studies have found that women have slightly lower heart rates and oxygen consumption than men during deep water running. This is thought to be due to women’s generally higher bodyfat content and resultant greater buoyancy than men.

RB congratulations on the 3:19 I don't expect one of those anytime soon.

Al, similar here need some sprints/interval training to really feel right and have my best energy that day AND the next. I really stepped up the running last year and have seen a dramatic difference. Some weight lifting and fast twitch development might be the fountain of youth.

After reading this thread and mb's post, I added more sprints, and my thigh muscles got pretty sore. That shows that those muscles were getting a workout that they hadn't gotten before.

You guys got me lusting after that Concept 2 rower again!

Who's he?

Can you substitute bike riding to running?

Absolutely, and if you go to a "spin" class you will find that they put in plenty of interval training - sprints and hill climbs etc.

When I cycle outdoors without DW I add a series of sprints to my ride as where I live is pretty flat so hill climbing is not possible.

You guys got me lusting after that Concept 2 rower again!

Audrey
Rowing seems to be out of style theses days but I love the workout. However, it is true that compared to some apparatus types, the difference between a good rower and a moderate one is huge.

Only negative is inability to have your hands free, so you can't turn the pages of a book, or adjust the iPod.

Some stuff I've discovered while surfing instead of w*rking... :whistle:

A Case Against Cardio (from a former mileage king) | Mark's Daily Apple

Why I Stopped Volume Training… — Zen to Fitness Why I Stopped Volume Training… : Zen to Fitness

PaNu - P

Myths Under the Microscope Part 1: The Low Intensity Fat Burning Zone - AlanAragon.com - Fitness Based on Science & Experience

Master Trainer: Bodybuilding, Weightlifting and Lifetime Fitness

Granted, to be a distance runner/cyclist/swimmer, one must train for those activities. But, for general fitness, it appears that "chronic cardio" is not only not the best way to get/stay fit, it's actually somewhat counterproductive...

Thanks for those interesting (but sometimes conflicting) links, HFWR. I really want to get the most benefit out of my exercising time, and I'm starting to question some of the conventional wisdom.

One interesting thing is this: I exercise almost every day, but except for that hour or so, I'm either sitting at the piano, the computer, at the table, or on the couch.

On our recent two-week camping trip, which involved a lot of "chores" (getting firewood, setting up the tent, walking to the restroom, walking to the shower, etc.) Lena and I lost 3.5 and 4 pounds, respectively.

IOW, part of the benefit of long walks may be that there is less chair time.

Here's what I got out of those articles:

A Case Against Cardio (from a former mileage king) | Mark's Daily Apple

It's best to do lower intensity exercise (e.g. walking) with some high intensity intervals. Long cardio work is bad.
Why I Stopped Volume Training… — Zen to Fitness Why I Stopped Volume Training… : Zen to Fitness

Best is: a sport (tennis, dancing, etc), sprints, bodyweight workouts, and stretching.
PaNu - P

A group of elite long-distance runners had less body fat, better lipid profiles, and better heart rates than people being tested for cardiac disease, but, paradoxically, the runners had more calcified plaque in their heart arteries, according to a study reported here.
Myths Under the Microscope Part 1: The Low Intensity Fat Burning Zone - AlanAragon.com - Fitness Based on Science & Experience

Moderate exercise does not burn more fat than higher intensity exercise.
Master Trainer: Bodybuilding, Weightlifting and Lifetime Fitness

At ages around 60 or above, it's better to ease off the weight and intensity of exercise.

Thanks for the summary Al :flowers:

I feel pretty good about our exercise regime now. Our "normal" routine is:

Monday - 30 mins weight training followed by 60 mins of a ballet style workout (lots of stretching and balance work)

Tuesday - ride bike 7 miles to gym (easy ride) followed by 90 mins Body Flow workout (Tai Chi, Yoga & Pilates), then ride back

Wednesday - 30 mins weight training followed by 60 mins of Yin Yoga

Thursday - 60 mins Cardio workout which the instructor varies a lot week by week - today was circuit training.

Friday - 60 mins Deep Water Trekking (cardio workout in deep water wearing a float to keep you vertical)

Saturday - 90 - 120 mins of singles tennis

Sunday - ride bike 7 miles to our favorite breakfast spot, eat then ride back.

I will often play tennis one other evening, and some days we'll just go for a long bike ride, or ride to a nature reserve close by and go for a hike and picnic.

How many angels can dance on the head of a pin?

For most folks, ANY exercise would be an improvement over what they do now.

Shorter, more intense exercise - such as sprints/intervals, and resistance/weight training appear to be more effective both at improving fitness and strength, and at resetting metabolism. Given that many of us are pinched for time, getting more bang for the buck is important.

There's no reason for folks interested in fitness, vs training for something, to overtrain.

Rowing seems to be out of style theses days but I love the workout. However, it is true that compared to some apparatus types, the difference between a good rower and a moderate one is huge.
I had the opportunity to use a Concept 2 several times in a gym years ago. Enough to build up some stamina at it - and that is tough! The main thing was I was able to verify that the repetitive motion did not bother my knees or my wrists - something I struggle with on a lot of other aerobic exercise equipment.

This was a surprise to me - I have so much trouble with my knees that I really expected to have problems. In general, I really avoid deep knee bends, but I guess the impact on the rower is minimal, there isn't a huge amount of weight on the knees, and the legs are kept in a straight line thus avoiding any torque on the knees, so I had no problems at all.

Audrey

Back
Top Bottom