Sprinting and jumping

I ran in a 10K mountain race two Sunday's ago, 37 degrees and raining. It included 2200 vertical gain over two small mountains. There was lots of full speed running, leaping over rocks and sliding on mud. I finished 30th out of 58 which I thought was pretty good. I trail run regularly, but not race, so this was a first for me. Personally I still try and push the envelope with athletics. There was a man that ran the MT Washington road race at 95, so you can run at any age.

I’m still active, and reasonably conditioned, but try to avoid those sudden outbursts...

Low and slow, like BBQ!

I try to run flat out whenever the opportunity arises but we are only talking 50 yards at a time mostly. In a true sprint one can't really go further than 200 meters or so as you are using anaerobic metabolism and producing lactic acid which will stop you from continuing in pretty short order. I also play hockey a couple times a week and a 60 to 90 second shift on the ice is often equivalent to a sprint. We joke that it is our weekly cardiac stress test - only half so of course (there is a defibrillator on the bench).

I was never much of a jumper and although I do bounce in place and jump down from things I would be worried about injury with maximal effort in a vertical jump these days.

I would be worried about injury with maximal effort in a vertical jump these days.

Jumping to touch something high seems safe to me. Jumping like I did, trying to get my feet as high as possible, is different. I could have raised my feet higher but my jump wasn't high enough to give me time to extend my legs enough on the way down to cushion the landing. Luckily I sensed that, but I still landed hard, twice. In sandals too, but they were chushy Crocks.

At this point in my life, I know that 'use it or lose it' is true, but also 'use it too hard and you'll break it' is also true. Finding the middle ground is important.

I have to focus more now on flexibility training, which for whatever reason I really hate. Otherwise the recovery from sprint training takes a lot longer. Throwing is easier, building up over time is a natural part of baseball practice.

I'm in the late 60's and typically run a 5k twice per week at a 10 min/mile pace (6 mph). For some reason unknown to me I've never needed to stretch. I just start running but I wouldn't start out by sprinting so I do 'warm up' in that regard.

To me sprinting is running a relatively short distance going as fast as you possibly can or very close to that limit. Running is going a medium to long distance at a pace that taxes your cardio system but allows you to go the target distance without stopping or slowing appreciably. Jogging is just doing at run at a more leisurely pace that still causes you to eventually break a sweat but isn't as taxing as running.

In other words, as far as I'm concerned the difference between sprinting, running and jogging involves distance, speed and level of effort. The separation between the three will vary considerably based on personal physical condition.

Last edited:
I'm in the late 60's and typically run a 5k twice per week at a 10 min/mile pace (6 mph). For some reason unknown to me I've never needed to stretch. I just start running but I wouldn't start out by sprinting so I do 'warm up' in that regard.

To me sprinting is running a relatively short distance going as fast as you possibly can or very close to that limit. Running is going a medium to long distance at a pace that taxes your cardio system but allows you to go the target distance without stopping or slowing appreciably. Jogging is just doing at run at a more leisurely pace that still causes you to eventually break a sweat but isn't as taxing as running.

In other words, as far as I'm concerned the difference between sprinting, running and jogging involves distance, speed and level of effort. The separation between the three will vary considerably based on personal physical condition.
Very good definitions.

I'm 74 and ran/jogged until I was about 65 - quit because after almost 40 years of running I just got sick of it. I stopped in the middle of a daily run one fine day, said "screw it!", walked home and haven't run a step since. But until I was about 60 I used to incorporate interval sprints on a track into my workouts when I was training for a race. (I did a few 5Ks a year for many years and several 10 milers in my 50-60 decade).

As a recovered runner I now spin several days a week and sprints are part of the typical spinning class. I go as hard as I reasonably can during the sprints but don't kil myself.

Back
Top Bottom