Sprinting and jumping

Boho

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I wanted to say "running and jumping" but people call jogging running, and I'm talking about real running. I also hate when people call sneakers tennis shoes. They do that, right? Or are they literally talking about shoes made for tennis? And should jogging shoes be called running shoes? Running to me is sprinting and sprinting shoes aren't padded very much.

But I'm not talking about that. I'm wondering, when was the last time you ran about as fast as you can or jumped about as high or far as you can? I was looking at the drop leaf of my desk and remembered a time when I jumped over a chair that was taller than that. So I jumped straight up to see if my feet would still go that high. I think it was my extra weight that prevented me from getting that high. A day or two later, I tweaked my back slightly and it could very well be from attempting that jump. I'm now in caution mode because I'm freshly recovered from my back going out. I have to remember not to bend over, etc. I purposely stayed home today and plan on the same tomorrow.

I timed and videoed myself sprinting a few years ago and it was slightly devastating. I'm going to try it again eventually, I think, but I've read some things about sprinting at my age that scare me and don't even make sense. I think I read that you shouldn't "sprint" faster than your fastest one mile speed. That sounds like, if you can't even jog one mile, then your sprint should be slower than your jog! It reminds me of some recommendations for body weight exercises after 40. Some say not to do them because you can't control the weight. But what if you can do a decent number of reps and sets? How could it be bad then. Who are these people who make these things up?

Full effort sprinting or jumping (or throwing or lifting, for that matter) is something you need to build up to over time. I was full out sprinting in baseball games the last couple of weeks in tournaments, but that's after months of practice and games and winter time sprint workouts.

But at 63, the workouts and recovery and avoiding injury get a lot tougher. Can't work out as often, injuries happen, and recovery takes a lot more time.

I held a state record for the 100-yard dash back in high school, but that was many moons ago. I still run during martial arts at age 73, but no longer try to set records. The only trick I've found is to keep moving, & to keep your body in decent shape.

As far as "tennis shoes" & the like, advertising to millennials & Gen Z requires cute names that just grate on us older folks.

I'll climb on roofs, but I'll pass on the full-speed running or big jumping. Sounds too dangerous to me.

You bummed-up your back doing this, and now you may be encouraging us to try it? What's wrong with this picture? :LOL:

I am beginning to question the wisdom of pushing our older bodies to some limit. I have been competing in the WA state senior games each year with high jump being one of my events. I learned the fosbury flop several years ago and jump off my right leg. On the 2nd jump, I felt pain in my knee and cancelled my third attempt just to be safe. When you exert extreme pressure on joints there is a high probability of something being damaged. I still play doubles tennis 3 days a week and can feel that knee pain whereas I never had it before. I can still run quickly for a 65 y.o. but my knee talks back to me, usually after several matches. I guess, listen to your body is the rule....

With all due respect, I take exception to the OP’s comment that “Running to me is sprinting“.

I sprinted yesterday morning; 450 meters at full speed (lane 8 at our junior college 400 meter track). This was at the end of a 6.5 mile run on neighboring dirt roads. I do this every Monday and on Thursdays I run hard (ie: not quite a sprint) for 1 mile at the end of a 4 mile run on the track. On Saturdays I jog 8.5 miles. But I’ve been running consistently for 40 years so this is nothing new to me and I’ve been blessed with very few injuries over those years.

Full effort sprinting or jumping (or throwing or lifting, for that matter) is something you need to build up to over time.
^^ This. OP, don't be reckless about sprinting like you were jumping. You didn't say how old you are, but age is only part of it anyway. If you've been inactive for some time, you need to ease back in.

Sometimes in my marathon training I'll do speed work, but usually no faster than 5K pace. That's the pace where I'm breathing hard but just short of wheezing.

I wanted to say "running and jumping" but people call jogging running, and I'm talking about real running. I also hate when people call sneakers tennis shoes. They do that, right? Or are they literally talking about shoes made for tennis? And should jogging shoes be called running shoes? Running to me is sprinting and sprinting shoes aren't padded very much.
Oh heck, I can't pass this up. No, I don't hear people call them tennis shoes anymore. And no, running isn't just sprinting. If you think it is, you're in the minority. Nike, Mizuno, Altra, Hoka, New Balance, and many other shoe manufactures make running shoes that are padded well, and some that are not. People who jog or run slower than sprinting wear running shoes. From what I see, shoes they make for sprinting are called "track" shoes. Even their "racing" shoes are made for up to marathons.

I never jump. The last time I sprinted was about a week ago. (at least it is my idea of a sprint) I don't know how fast I go. I only check heart rate. I do sprints for 1 or 2 minutes, walk for a minute, and do this cycle for 3 miles. Always in Asics Kayano running shoes.

When I was in high school, I concentrated on increasing my vertical jump height to help in the two sports I played...basketball, and track. At 5'10", I could touch my forearm on the basketball rim, and occasionally dunk the ball. This equates to having my heels 38" off the ground. I was also able to clear 6'0" several times in the high jump at track/feild events.

I have had alot of health issues over the years (including a shattered pelvis from a car accident), so I don't run/jump much now.

I was diagnosed with stage 3 osteoarthritis in my right knee 11 years ago. That ended all running, jumping and any other high impact physical activities for me.

Any physical feat performed from zero warm up or practice, or lack of being done for years - is a silly idea, at 30, at 50, and at any age. So, be glad you only threw out your back for trying a high jump like that.

Can I sprint? Sure, like a lot of other runners (and joggers) I'll do intervals and/or finish the last part of my run going all out. I don't know or care my actual pace, and as a short female it's nowhere near the numbers some of you might require to meet the definition (and I don't care about what anyone calls it). But if I didn't run at all for a year and then tried the results would be pathetic.

If you lifted weights regularly, then stopped for years, would you pick up the same weight to start? I hope not!

As someone with a new knee, even watching someone jump or run on TV gives me the willies. I can't imagine doing it myself. I prefer to pedal my recumbent bike as fast as I can, and am grateful that I now can again.

If I did a full run and jump, I'd probably hurt myself now. Never was much of a jumper.

As for a full sprint, I remember in younger days of w*rk, running all the way across a decent sized parking lot to catch a train. Now looking back, I wonder how the heck did I do that.

I did some kind of little warmup. I for sure would have raised my knees up a few times and probably squatted and jogged in place. I can do an "Asian" squat - all the way down, and I do knee raises for exercise kind of regularly, so the motion isn't new to me. I walk a decent amount and find an excuse to jog a little (very little but still...). But I wish I had someone to push a padded mat under me so I landed easier. I'm early 50s and maybe a little overweight.

In the UK, sneakers are called trainers. I was walking into a bar in the UK one night and the doorman stopped me and said I couldn't go inside. I asked him why not. He said, trainers. It led to a very confused conversation before we both finally understood each other.

I was never much of a runner/sprinter. I doubt I've run more than a few seconds since I was in high school. I used to ride my bike intensely, but we live on a mountain now and the effort required to go anywhere up or down the road just took the fun out of it. I haven't ridden in over 25 years, other than a rental bike on vacation.

I never really jumped either, other than jumping off a platform or something. These days that's a little hard on my knees and even jumping two feet down tenses up the muscles between my legs. Ouch. I'm sure being overweight and out of shape is a bigger impact than my age.

I'm more of a hiker. No real equipment needed, just a good pair of shoes and a backpack. I can go at my own pace, and stop when I need to catch my breath. The slower pace means I see things I would probably overlook if I was biking or running.

I do sprints when swimming, usually at the end of the workout. Not much risk of injury there. But running sprints/jumping, not planned. I avoid jumping unless it is into the pool. You didn't include swimming or bicycling sprints.

I walk, jog, and sometimes run. No sprinting or jumping, cspine issues make that a bad idea for me. I was doing a 5k combo for some time. However a cspine issue in May stopped that for a while. I'm currently doing a 30 minute combo 3x weekly. I discovered taking off 6 months and expecting to do the same workout as before doesn't work very well.

As far as what you call things, it is a crap shoot.

ETA: A couple of puffs of Cannabis Sativa makes jogging and running much more enjoyable. A cannabis buzz mixed with a running high is terrific.

Last edited:
Was never a jumper. Couldn't touch the rim. Was a shooter. Let the big boys fight it out. The last time I ran as fast as I can was on a treadmill in my late 40's and knee seized up. Tore my second meniscus. End of running

I pedaled about as fast as I could on a recumbent exercise bike with a much shortened crank (I made the crank shortenter for my father) at maximum resistance. I reached about 23 mph. No problems from that.

Full effort sprinting or jumping (or throwing or lifting, for that matter) is something you need to build up to over time. I was full out sprinting in baseball games the last couple of weeks in tournaments, but that's after months of practice and games and winter time sprint workouts.

But at 63, the workouts and recovery and avoiding injury get a lot tougher. Can't work out as often, injuries happen, and recovery takes a lot more time.

Agree! I am 70. Whenever we have a new player join our sr softball league they are warned about taking it easy running to first or risk pulling a hammy. Well guess what, it's hard to find a single new player that avoids a hamstring pull within the first few weeks of beginning play. Any how, the problem I have is my mind thinks I can still do what I could do 30-40 years ago, but my body has an entirely different perspective.

I was a better sprinter than distance runner when young, so sprinting was fine and I never had injuries. I do sprint today, if I am out for a walk I might sprint occasionally for 40-50 yards. I have learned how to warm up so no issues. I am more concerned about tripping over something that bodily injury.

Jumping I have become more careful in doing, even when going over low obstacles I now step instead of jump. Friends have a trampoline in their yard and I probably jump in that 1 or 2 times a year.

me-as-a-doctor-what-seems-it-hurts-to-be-14122292.png

Back
Top Bottom