Texting while driving

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought their Sharia law dictated that if they ran you over, you or your survivors could run over them in retaliation. That did not deter them?

I believe that would entail some advance thought on their part......besides which, 'foreigners' don't count......the idea being that, if you weren't in their country they wouldn't have hit you.

One of our guys got rear ended at a stop sign and pushed into the middle of the road...Saudi cop was going to charge him for 'blocking the intersection'.

OP: glad you walked away relatively unscathed, like others said, the injuries will manifest themselves several days from now

looks like ur truck is toast tho - I don't think that will buff out

What are you going to replace it with?

I believe that would entail some advance thought on their part......besides which, 'foreigners' don't count......the idea being that, if you weren't in their country they wouldn't have hit you.

One of our guys got rear ended at a stop sign and pushed into the middle of the road...Saudi cop was going to charge him for 'blocking the intersection'.
There are countries that I have not been to, and never intend to. Nuf' said.

At least the guy admitted that he was texting.

My wife was on a 2 lane road that winds around the local Target store parking lot. This road is basically part of the park lot design, and you can't go fast, because it turns continuously. She was driving 10-15mph. Another slow moving car was coming toward her from the opposite direction. As they were about to pass each other, the other car just turned right into her. A teenaged kid in his parents car hopped out with his cell phone in hand. He was obviously texting or talking on the cell. Nobody was hurt, but we still had to deal with an insurance claim, car repair, and our fairly new car now had an accident report tied to it.

We told our insurance person about the cell phone, but the kid denied that he was using it to the cops. Our agent said it happens daily, and there isn't much they can do about it.

Drives me crazy. I can't imagine how I would feel if someone I cared about got seriously hurt by some loser doing this.

I'm a proponent of stronger penalties, and for allowing only hands free cell phone usage while driving.

JP

.... A teenaged kid in his parents car hopped out with his cell phone in hand. He was obviously texting or talking on the cell. ...

How is this obvious? He could be carrying the cell phone, figuring he would need to call 911 or somebody. Or take pictures of the scene, or your driver's license, insurance (kids just snap pics of info like this now, they don't write it down). Or simply, why leave it in the car? Kids are attached to these things.

If you got out o the car with a pen and notebook (to take down the kids information), would it be obvious that you were busy writing a letter while you were driving?

We told our insurance person about the cell phone, but the kid denied that he was using it to the cops. Our agent said it happens daily, and there isn't much they can do about it.

If he was actually texting or calling at the time, phone records can be obtained, I think.

Drives me crazy. I can't imagine how I would feel if someone I cared about got seriously hurt by some loser doing this.

I'm a proponent of stronger penalties, and for allowing only hands free cell phone usage while driving.

JP

I agree on stronger penalties and more enforcement, and I know many people just won't accept this - but hands-free is extremely dangerous and distracting too. It is not the same as talking to a passenger. Jut say no to all forms of distracted driving.

-ERD50

Couldn't cell phone records indicating date and time confirm cell phone usage at the time of the crash?

Couldn't cell phone records indicating date and time confirm cell phone usage at the time of the crash?

Well maybe. What if you were texting? Who's to say exactly what time an accident occurred? Do the PD even request them for a routine accident? Can they?

I am sure that this accident shook you up and I am glad that you were not hurt more seriously.

My DD bought a new mini van on Black Friday and was rear-ended in 01/17. A Mercedes Benz driven by a young girl rear-ended her and another vehicle that were both stopped. She told the police that she was distracted by something in her rear view mirror and that when she looked back, traffic had stopped. My DD has whiplash and is going to a chiropractor. Their new van was fixed and then had to go back to the shop again, since doors are not opening correctly all the time. They just got it back last night. She has 3 children, ages 8, 2 and 8 months old to care for with whiplash.

I definitely do not think that anyone should text and drive and I support stiffer sentences

I used to travel to Honolulu quite a bit on business. The PM would get onto the H-1 on Sunday afternoon at 4:00 local time (10:00 PM Eastern) and start responding to a dozen emails on his blackberry in heavy traffic. Used to drive me bonkers! I'd try to reason with him, scream at him, or anything else I could think of. I finally just did my best to ride with another team member.

And this pre-dates texting, although it was not nearly as prevalent in the past. I once was passed on the freeway, doing 65 mph in Atlanta traffic, by a driver with a hardback book open on the steering wheel. A coworker was rear-ended by a driver at a stoplight who was reading papers in the passenger seat when the light changed. Back then, these were remarkable stories.

Common sense just isn't that common.

I know that a number of people are saying that at least the kid admitted texting.... but for fault purposes it really does not matter... he rear ended the OP... even if not texting he would be at fault...

And OP is not going to get any more money due to the texting... so kinda a non-event....

I used to travel to Honolulu quite a bit on business. The PM would get onto the H-1 on Sunday afternoon at 4:00 local time (10:00 PM Eastern) and start responding to a dozen emails on his blackberry in heavy traffic. Used to drive me bonkers! I'd try to reason with him, scream at him, or anything else I could think of. I finally just did my best to ride with another team member.

And this pre-dates texting, although it was not nearly as prevalent in the past. I once was passed on the freeway, doing 65 mph in Atlanta traffic, by a driver with a hardback book open on the steering wheel. A coworker was rear-ended by a driver at a stoplight who was reading papers in the passenger seat when the light changed. Back then, these were remarkable stories.

Common sense just isn't that common.

+1

Texting is probably the worst modern-day culprit, but there have long been (and still are) people who daydream while driving, try to eat a big messy meal while driving, search for something in the glove compartment, and many other very distracting things. As far as I know, it's not illegal to eat while driving (even if it involves multiple fast-food bags, containers, etc.) or daydream or read a book or a map. I'm all for heavy penalties for driving while texting, but let's be realistic that there are innumerable ways to be irresponsible and not pay proper attention while operating a motor vehicle, and most of those will never be against the law.

+1

Texting is probably the worst modern-day culprit, but there have long been (and still are) people who daydream while driving, try to eat a big messy meal while driving, search for something in the glove compartment, and many other very distracting things. As far as I know, it's not illegal to eat while driving (even if it involves multiple fast-food bags, containers, etc.) or daydream or read a book or a map. I'm all for heavy penalties for driving while texting, but let's be realistic that there are innumerable ways to be irresponsible and not pay proper attention while operating a motor vehicle, and most of those will never be against the law.

+1
Of the three people who rear ended me only one could have been texting.

I've seen readers, eaters, shavers, makeup artists, texters, drunks, stoners, and tweakers.

Take your pick.

I was rear-ended at a stop light a few years ago by a texter.

Then last year I rear-ended the car in front of me on a suburban street adjacent to a city park, even though I wasn't eating, texting, or doing anything else other than paying full attention. Too bad I didn't see the goose step off the curb in front of her car prior to her slamming on her brakes and coming to a full stop mid-block to avoid hitting the damn bird. I was pulling the RV at the time, the streets were wet from a rain, and all 8 tires slid as I impacted the rear of her sub-compact car at an estimated 15 mph. Even at that low speed, all that mass did $2K damage to my truck and probably more than that to the rear of her small car.

First time I ever gave a bird the bird...

I never have roasted goose, but it should be as good as roasted duck.

ERD50:
You are correct, I'm jumping to conclusion regarding the texting. My wife told me the accident was in slow motion, and she even had time to honk, and try to turn away from the oncoming car. His car just kept turning more into hers at a very slow speed. An inattentive driver, or amazingly incompetent driver is the only conclusion that makes sense.

I guess he could be digging for something in the glove box. She said he was out of the car with cell phone in hand almost immediately.

ERD50 and Scrambler1:
Regarding the cops looking up his phone records. I suggested this to the insurance guy, but I don't think they will bother to take the time, unless someone really gets hurt, or there is a court case. We live in a no fault state. I believe it is up to our insurance company to spend the time to get them to admit to more guilt, and pay for more of the damages. I think they just write it off, and move on.

JP

ERD50:
You are correct, I'm jumping to conclusion regarding the texting. My wife told me the accident was in slow motion, and she even had time to honk, and try to turn away from the oncoming car. His car just kept turning more into hers at a very slow speed. An inattentive driver, or amazingly incompetent driver is the only conclusion that makes sense...

Just recall this story.

My son-in-law's truck was ran into by a guy exiting a shopping center parking lot. His truck was stopped in front of the parking lot exit, due to a traffic light . This car kept crawling forward, and my SIL happened to spot it and honked his horn.

The bastard hit his rear bumper, and probably did a lot more damage to his car than my SIL's truck. But what he did next was to back off and ran away!

My daughter was in the truck too, and they were not able to get his licence plate number.

I tell folks that when I drive, my phone is off and in the glove compartment to not tempt myself with any talking or texting. After a few times of calls just reaching my voicemail, they start to get the hint.

same here - no exceptions

My wife has a friend who always calls her while driving. As we use the speakerphone for screening the calls at home, I always can hear the road noise in the background when the call comes in.

I have told my wife to never pick it up when hearing that road noise, even though this friend of hers claimed to use a bluetooth headset. I don't know if my wife listens to me or not. I said it would be really "nice" one of these days for my wife to hear a crash while talking to this friend. This friend is a real talker too.

Last edited:
As far as I know, it's not illegal to eat while driving (even if it involves multiple fast-food bags, containers, etc.) or daydream or read a book or a map.

I'm sure it varies by state.

In MD there is a statute that makes "Failure to give full time and attention to driving" a traffic violation. I wrote many tickets for that and the one that sticks out in my mind was the moron driving on an interstate with a book propped up on the steering wheel. And then he had the audacity to protest "But I wasn't speeding!" as if that was the only violation that mattered.

Somehow, I doubt that me writing him a ticket did any good. People like that are simply too stupid to figure it out.

If I were still a patrol officer (left the road in 1991) I could probably easily write a book of tickets (25) every week for texting/phone calls.

OP here.

DW has been on the phone all morning with the hospital, my physician, their auto insurer, our auto insurer, their claims adjuster, the loaner/rental car company, etc.

It has become obvious to me (even in my pain-killer induced foggy state) that we need to talk to a personal injury lawyer. The other party has accepted responsibility and has at least created the appearance of wanting to expedite resolution. But having never gone thru this before I don't want to be taken for a ride (sorry, poor choice of words.)

I'm currently FIREd as many on this board are. But to the unenlightened masses out there I'm unemployed. Truth is I'm self-employed in that we have been able to turn a small profit on our "farm" by raising livestock. This year it was our passion to also turn around a long neglected heritage orchard. I greatly enjoy doing the w*rk. NOW is the time of year to be out there pruning and trimming. I'll probably be incapable of those kinds of tasks for weeks or even months. Two months from now, if I'm able, I'll be consumed with the ranching activities. That means putting the orchard off for another year.

I'm in the health situation that I'm in as the result of the irresponsible act of the other party. I didn't do anything to cause me to be in this situation. How does one place a value on pain and suffering, lost income and lost opportunity?

Sorry for the rant.

Thanks to all who have expressed best wishes.

I have no patience left for the people who do this $h!t. When I see someone driving while using their phone (it's illegal in this state, BTW) I pull up alongside them, honk, and mime 'Get off your damn phone!'. Maybe if these people get called out on it whenever they do it, they'll start to realize it's just not acceptable. :mad:

It has become obvious to me (even in my pain-killer induced foggy state) that we need to talk to a personal injury lawyer.

Yes indeed! This is not a time to try to DIY. You are probably eligible for damages that at this point you may not even be aware of, such as the cost of hiring people to do stuff you would have done but can't because of your injuries. Like pruning the trees. Or if your DW is still working and had to take leave, with or without pay, to look after you, then you as a couple are entitled for damages for either the lost pay or the lost opportunities.

Studies have shown texting and driving to be more dangerous than drinking and driving (at or around current levels that make it illegal). Yet texting and driving still gets a "slap on the wrist" if any punishment at all. Doesn't make much sense to me.

Agreed

2015 Statistics for Minnesota

Last year, distracted driving contributed to 17,598 crashes, 68 deaths and 8,038 injuries, according to state reports. Distracted driving caused four times more crashes with injuries than drunken driving.

I have no patience left for the people who do this $h!t. When I see someone driving while using their phone (it's illegal in this state, BTW) I pull up alongside them, honk, and mime 'Get off your damn phone!'. Maybe if these people get called out on it whenever they do it, they'll start to realize it's just not acceptable. :mad:

I respect your effort, & I've done the same thing several times, but IMO it won't have any effect.

OP here.

DW has been on the phone all morning with the hospital, my physician, their auto insurer, our auto insurer, their claims adjuster, the loaner/rental car company, etc.

It has become obvious to me (even in my pain-killer induced foggy state) that we need to talk to a personal injury lawyer. The other party has accepted responsibility and has at least created the appearance of wanting to expedite resolution. But having never gone thru this before I don't want to be taken for a ride (sorry, poor choice of words.)

I'm currently FIREd as many on this board are. But to the unenlightened masses out there I'm unemployed. Truth is I'm self-employed in that we have been able to turn a small profit on our "farm" by raising livestock. This year it was our passion to also turn around a long neglected heritage orchard. I greatly enjoy doing the w*rk. NOW is the time of year to be out there pruning and trimming. I'll probably be incapable of those kinds of tasks for weeks or even months. Two months from now, if I'm able, I'll be consumed with the ranching activities. That means putting the orchard off for another year.

I'm in the health situation that I'm in as the result of the irresponsible act of the other party. I didn't do anything to cause me to be in this situation. How does one place a value on pain and suffering, lost income and lost opportunity?

Sorry for the rant.

Thanks to all who have expressed best wishes.

Since you have whiplash and broken bones, it is a great idea to get a lawyer...

There is a value that can be placed on pain and suffering... from what I have heard from people who have gone through it, it is between 3X and 10X of medical costs.... I do not know if loss of income is thrown into the pain and suffering or just an add on to damages...

Hope you have records for the work since just talking might not get you there... IOW, I have not worked and would be hard pressed to show loss of wages even if I were planning on doing something....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom