Where Do You Get Your Fiber?

A couple pages earlier, I forgot to mention that I used to get my fiber from Verizon, but now it's Frontier, and is less filling but more expensive.

Something else, too... I do not understand this Chia-seed thing. If y'all are eating it up, does this mean that the Chia Pets will go extinct? It's sad to think that my Grandchildren (or Great Grandchildren, but I will have KTB'd (Kicked The Bucket, it must be a galvanized steel one for the right sound, plastic will NOT do!)) by then, will never see or pet an actual Chia Pet, sniff...

You can put Chia seeds on just about anything (yogurt, salads, mix with scrambled eggs, etc, etc) and they are tasteless. Work good, too!

They also get stuck in between my teeth unless they’ve been soaked, as for overnight oatmeal. [emoji57] +1 for the fiber though!

For the past year I have been using Muniq shakes (now rebranded "Supergut -- whoever thought that one up?) as a meal replacement. Their bent is resistant starch -- a carbohydrate that resists digestion in the small intestine and ferments in the large intestine. As the fibers ferment they act as a prebiotic and feed the good bacteria in the gut. Helps lower FBS and A1C as well. Each of these have 15g of fibre each and mixed with banana or other fleshy fruit gets the fibre up there. They are pretty tasty too. Most meal replacement shakes offer high fibre options.

A couple pages earlier, I forgot to mention that I used to get my fiber from Verizon, but now it's Frontier, and is less filling but more expensive.

As mentioned before I get my fiber from Ziply. Cheaper and better than the cable company service, IMO. I managed to get lucky and have a choice between two companies for my Internet service. Three, when T-Mobile offers it's home wireless service in my area. Gosh, that's almost competition!

Back to fiber we can eat. I often make my own jams by cooking down fruit, adding a bit of maple syrup for sweetening, and then chia seeds to thicken it up. Works for me.

They also get stuck in between my teeth unless they’ve been soaked, as for overnight oatmeal. [emoji57] +1 for the fiber though!

I think they may also irritate diverticulitis. YMMV

Nuts, vegetables, sunflower seeds and (occasionally) psyllium husk powder.

Mouse study. Not worth the paper it's printed on for decisions about human diet. Essential for figuring out the next thing to test in humans, but way too many mouse studies have zero relationship to human health.

Agreed. Mouse species are even chosen for their sensitivity to insults which lead to cancer. Not much relationship to humans. Slightly more definitive than the Ames mutagenicity test in many cases. YMMV

One of the studies that had the most impact on my choice of diet was a diet swap between Africans on a traditional African diet and African Americans in the U.S. on a Western diet, high in meat and low in fiber - "After two weeks on the African diet, the American group had significantly less inflammation in the colon and reduced biomarkers of cancer risk. In the African group, measurements indicating cancer risk dramatically increased after two weeks on the western diet." - https://www.imperial.ac.uk/news/165294/diet-swap-dramatic-effects-colon-cancer/

We try to eat mostly plant based, like the traditional African diet, so it has lots of fiber. Maybe it is possible to keep your biomarkers like IGF-1 and uric acid (high in gout) low on a meat based diet, but I don't think it would work for me. We monitor our uric acid levels and lots of meat usually means high uric acid, as in gout, the diet of kings (high meat, not a lot of "peasant food" like greens). Both low and high levels of uric acid are linked to shortened life span.

I think there is a lot more individuality required in diets than most of the diet experts recommend, so these days I feel like whatever diet get one's key biomarkers in great ranges is best for them.

Last edited:
After many years of struggle, every diet, close to clean foods vegetarian, what worked for me is Metamucil Orange smooth, twice daily.

Be careful of psyllium husk other than in a tall glass of water. Otherwise is can become concrete.

Be careful of too much caffeine. At a certain point, it can cause colonic spasms, which can block you up. As well as trigger tachycardia.

For some, with digestive tight corners, insoluable fibre, things with indigestible skins, corn, large meals can block you up.

After many years of struggle, every diet, close to clean foods vegetarian, what worked for me is Metamucil Orange smooth, twice daily.

Be careful of psyllium husk other than in a tall glass of water. Otherwise is can become concrete.

Be careful of too much caffeine. At a certain point, it can cause colonic spasms, which can block you up. As well as trigger tachycardia.

For some, with digestive tight corners, insoluable fibre, things with indigestible skins, corn, large meals can block you up.

I simply can not tolerate psyllium husk in water. It makes me gag and choke. The capsules have never given me any issues. Heh, heh, so glad I didn't read your post until I'd been using the capsules for a couple of years. :facepalm::LOL:

Back
Top Bottom