Where Do You Get Your Fiber?

Ironic most of us are random guys and gals on the internet, lol

Yes, but we haven't written a book we are trying to sell that pooh-poohs eating fiber.

(pun intended)

Low carb diet so fiber primarily comes from veggies rather than grains.

Almost every day starts with a big bowl of raisin bran, supplemented by veggies and whole grains.

Small number of almonds (wrapped in milk chocolate :)) = 2gr
Generic Metamucil (Equate sugar-free, 2 tbls) = 6 gr.
Whole-Grain bread, 2 gr. per slice x 5 slices = 10 gr.
GV bran flake cereal (7 gr. per cup x ~1.5 cups) = 10 gr.
A small amount of lettuce in lunch sandwiches = ?

A pro-biotic yogurt, but I won't advance any claims about its effects. I like its taste!

Then for dinner, I love broccoli, or cauliflower, or brussels sprouts, or spinach.
Usually have some small amount of fruit also at dinner, sometimes raw carrots too, etc. Unknown what the total grams of fiber would be, but the cruciferous vegetables are good for colon health, and I liked them before I knew anything about their good effects, not a "forced liking".

My life would not be possible without enough fiber! I was okay till sometime in my 30s, then slowly started having troubles, getting worse over time. Pretty much diagnosed myself over the years. Also enough water, and exercise.
Decades ago, I also mailed away for a little book that was mentioned in a newspaper health article. Written by a Dr. who spent a lot of time in Africa. Described the diet and habits of bushmen, compared it to our modern diet. His take was that we were designed for a high-fiber diet, but we had left it over years of "development", and were feeding our ancient systems with "modern" fuel. I would have done a lot better if I really took his guidance to heart. I slipped off of it over time, and had to suffer to get me back on it.
With my age has come the "screw everybody else's opinion, this is what I need to go on".

One cannot deny being elderly, if talking about SS, Medicare, or Fiber! :)

Last edited:
I’m not saying fiber is bad for everyone, but the common wisdom saying that fiber is good for everyone is also not correct.

A few studies:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3435786/

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3724216/

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/29203127/

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/15654804/

“many patients with more severe constipation get worse symptoms when increasing dietary fiber intake.”

https://academic.oup.com/ajcn/article/89/5/1613S/4596950

I have been using benefiber which is powder added to my coffee in am and a glass of water in the evenings. I especially like the travel packets that I add to water bottles while traveling which helps a lot as I don’t always eat healthfully on the road. Benefiber is tasteless so easy to use.

I started with one tsp in my coffee in am, then added 2nd. Then after a while I added one tsp at night and then a second one. I also try and eat high fiber foods such as bananas, avocados and snack on cheerios.

Fiber One Original at breakfast every morning for many years now. Sometimes add a bit of granola for more flavor. Also eat plenty of veggies. Seems to be working for me.

Lots of veggies. I eat low carb, and meat or eggs plus lots of low carb veggies make up most of my diet.

Same here, plus a daily dish of plain yogurt flavored with cinnamon and a little Stevia.

A LONG time ago I read "The Save Your Life Diet" by Dr. David Reuben. I just looked it up- copyright 1976. He watched his father die of colon cancer and after doing a lot of research, concluded that a high-fiber diet was a good preventative- that people who ate low-fiber diets had waste sitting in their colon for longer and it was impairing their health. There's a lot more interest in the subject now and many more reasons to eat a high-fiber diet.

Fortunately I love vegetables- the non-starchy ones are low-calorie so I don't really have to limit myself. To me, it's not a real meal for lunch or dinner if it doesn't have over 50% vegetables. Zero problems with constipation.

If after all these choices you are still short of your fiber intake goal, there is always natural psyllium fiber which gives you about 3g per teaspoon. Don't take more than three teaspoons per day and drink lots of water with it.

Keto bread - I like the one from Costco. 11 grams fiber / slice, 0 net carbs. Nice to have sandwiches again. Good for travel.

Black beans - 17 grams fiber per 1/2 can.

Random guy on YouTube says we don't need fiber. Who knew?

I've been on a Carnivore diet for 3 week and no problem with constipation. I have found I'm consuming a lot less bulk, resulting in much less out the other end. Also no cravings, getting plenty of that evil fat! When I went on a High fat, medium protein, low carb, Keto diet a few years ago, all my cholesterol numbers got dramatically better. It will be a few months before my next Blood tests, I'll see what the Carnivore diet does.

Keto was hard for me to keep up, as I weighed everything, and entered it into nutrient program. With carnivore I just eat until I'm full.

Last edited:
Random guy on YouTube says we don't need fiber. Who knew?

Here's another random guy, (Dr.) with a controlled study of people with constipation. The gist of it is, removing fiber eliminated the constipation.

EDIT: to add this chart. Doc says this is not a mistake he did not forget to add data about Zero Fiber Diet.

Attachments

• Fiber.jpg
    Fiber.jpg
    140.5 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:
Lots of veggies. I eat low carb, and meat or eggs plus lots of low carb veggies make up most of my diet.

What do you consider low carb if you eat lots of low carb veggies? When I was on Keto, 20 grams of carbs was all you that was recommended.

How do you eat all this stuff when playing Pickleball? Tricky!

I only eat the banana between games. The oat bran is my breakfast before I leave the house. TMI, but also doesn't cause any bathroom break while playing, as very regular.

Here's another random guy, (Dr.) with a controlled study of people with constipation. The gist of it is, removing fiber eliminated the constipation.

EDIT: to add this chart. Doc says this is not a mistake he did not forget to add data about Zero Fiber Diet.

For me, eating all that oat bran moves everything along and quickly.
Quite the opposite of constipation, but that works for me.

I eat whole fruits, with the skin (wash very well), high bran cereal with no sugar provide 60% daily fiber, oatmeal, beans (we make a huge pot of bean soup and freeze in small containers). We make pepper soup with fresh peppers, mushrooms, onion, tomato paste. Dark chocolate has 3 grams of fiber (70% cocoa or more). Vegetables, cook lightly to release the vitamins but not mushy. We have a garden that provides romaine, bib lettuce, zucchini, tomatoes, beans. You can buy all these from the grocery store but suggest frozen. The vitamins are preserved and not sitting on a truck for days and days being transferred.

If you have a market that sells local fruit and veggies that’s great. Our grocery store states what local farms the fruits and veggies come from. As well as meats and eggs. Avoid processed foods filled with sugar, fat, and salt. A can of soup can have 1500 mg do salt alone. Read ingredients. 10+ grams of sugar in one product is too much. Keep sugar less tha 30 grams/day. Sugar will constipate you.

We don't need fiber. That's yet another dietary myth. I get some anyway, though, just to be safe. I chew tree bark and cardboard.

We don't need fiber. That's yet another dietary myth. I get some anyway, though, just to be safe. I chew tree bark and cardboard.

One of the main causes of colon cancer is eating a low fiber diet. Have you had a colonoscopy? When you do ask the doctor whether you need fiber and see the doctor says. Personally I need a lot of fiber. If I miss a few days eating fiber my gut is not happy.

One of the main causes of colon cancer is eating a low fiber diet. Have you had a colonoscopy? When you do ask the doctor whether you need fiber and see the doctor says. Personally I need a lot of fiber. If I miss a few days eating fiber my gut is not happy.

The doc addresses colon cancer at 10:25 of this video.

Beer!!! I make my own beer, so I see what goes into it. Mostly barley, with the husk, sometimes some rolled oats, so that is a *lot* of fiber! :)

OK, I guess almost none of that makes its way into the glass, but a guy can dream, can't he?

More seriously, we do eat a lot of minimally processed food and do a lot of cooking from scratch, so probably get a good amount of fiber. This thread has me curious though, so I may do some checking and try counting it up over a couple days.

-ERD50

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom