zenni Optical

Husband is extremely far-sighted; his reading Rx is +8.25. I've gotten him a couple pairs of excellent reading glasses, surprisingly lightweight, through Zenni. Zenni does charge extra for such a high Rx, but it's still about a fifth of what the mall opticians charge.

Incidentally, Zenni is offering 20% off for "Black Friday."

I usually get my glasses from sams club or walmart, but I noticed that Zenni optical is considerably cheaper. I have a high -7.50 right eye and-8.50 left eye prescription and wondering if any one here orders from them or any other online optical? also, what are the pros and cons of ordering glasses online in your experience? this question has probably been on here before but I couldn't find the link. thanks

frank

I printed the online ruler for $0.00. I forget the link, but I'm confident you can google "pupillary distance ruler" and find it.

My husband is very happy with the glasses he got from Zenni. He did buy an online ruler and had me measure his pupillary distance. I think the ruler cost less than two dollars, and you hold it over your nose and measure to the center of your eye. The first pair of glasses he got from Zenni were too small, but they exchanged them with no problem. He is very happy with them. Good luck!

I got the glasses from sam's yesterday at the quoted 202.21 and they seem well made. I have the one year replace the frames and lens once warranty and for another 39. can get a second year of the warranty. it only replaces the lens once and the frames once per year. do you think the 2nd year warranty is worth it, because I usually replace after two years.

I read on here that some order glasses for either long distance or reading without progressives or bifocals. how does that work? have never heard of specifying one or the other.

Progressives are what I get, but I do see options at checkout on Zenni to add reading or driving versions. I suppose you could get these in lieu of progressives.

I read on here that some order glasses for either long distance or reading without progressives or bifocals. how does that work? have never heard of specifying one or the other.

I get my usual progressive eyeglasses and a pair of cheap, distance only eyeglasses with larger lenses. These are my Laying-in-bed or lazy-chair TV glasses. If I don't have those distance glasses, I have to really tilt my head to look out of the upper half of the progressives, which is uncomfortable.

I have used Zenni once in the past but the more I see about China's policies, I am now trying to shop/buy from companies sourced elsewhere.

The new Zenni specs came on the 7th day after ordering. I did not pay extra for faster shipping. Considering USPS delivered these, it was unexpected to come so far so fast.

This is my fifth pair. Two of those were duplicate orders due to my breaking good pairs.

I've saved at least $500.

Here is a pic of all of my pairs of Zenni eyeglasses I've purchased since 2008, not counting my current sets of regular, computer, readers, and sunglasses I use daily.

I haven't had one problem with any of them--no breakages, no wrong prescriptions. I donated all of them to the Lion's Club.

IMG_20190906_122822.jpg

I dunno. I always get progressives that are "optimized" for driving (i.e. the driving space on the lens is bigger than the computer or reading space). That's because I can read without my glasses if necessary, but can't drive without them. Well, I suppose I could, but it would not be prudent.

VIPBF19. Not sure if it's still active...but supposed to be for Black Friday, which isn't here yet.

Do you have a promo code for this that you would share? :cool:

The promo code Amethyst mentioned does work. I just used it tonight to order my first ever pair from Zenni. $316 at Lenscrafters 2 years ago. $54 today on Zenni, all in, even including the sunglass clip ons. Amazing and thank you e-r forum!

Black Friday Sale BF2019 (20% off). It's on their home page currently.

I have purchased sunglasses with only distance vision correction for driving. I don't really need near-vision correction for driving so I can save a lot of money by not buying progressive lenses for driving. However, in recent years I simply buy my sunglasses for driving with the progressive lenses because Zenni is so inexpensive. Definitely DO spring for polarized lenses when buying sunglasses!

Ordering glasses for reading involves simply buying glasses using the ADD value portion of your progressive prescription. You should subtract 2-3 mm off your PD when ordering reader glasses since you will be looking at objects close up--books, tablets, phones--and not focusing at a distance. It's a great way to get prescription reading glasses. For readers, I usually buy the cheapest frame with a good sized lens height area as they aren't being bought for style and no one will likely see them except my wife.

Last edited:
it will be interesting to see how it turns out. please report back when you get them with the results.

Hi, I'm reporting back. As for the prescription, my Zenni pair ($62USD) seems to be exactly the same as my $680CAD pair (Varilux lenses). I can't tell the difference. I usually get a metal frame, but I got a plastic one from Zenni with no nose arms/pads, and my bridge is too low, so my glasses sat too low and hit my eyelashes, so I needed to get nose pads ($4CAD from Walmart Optometry). Now they fit fine. I didn't measure my temple width, and it seems this frame is a bit tight around my temples which I don't like. I also realized that despite that I tried them on, using their 3-D video tool, the glasses just don't look very good on me. I kind of went out of my comfort zone as for the style/design and got the cat-eye glasses with thick plastic frames, and it didn't pay off. I should have stuck with my usual boring rectangular metal-framed glasses...(I know! What was I thinking?!)

Anyway, I found out that I can do a first time only 100% store credit return (or 50% back to my credit card) if I return the glasses within 30 days, so I did a chat with Zenni, requesting a 100% store credit so I can this time measure everything (which I neglected to do last time) and get a new pair. They said I don't even need to return the glasses as I ordered from Canada (You would have to if you lived in the US, along with some kind of number you get from their rep AND the copy of your prescription from your doctor), so now I get to keep this pair that's a bit tight and too fashionable, and get to order a new pair once I get a store credit in my account.

How about that?

Last edited:
Measurements are important, as you found out.

Your old glasses may have the temple length inscribed on the inside of the frame arm. If not, just measure it. The space between the nose pads should be measured also. Once you get all the parameters figured out, write them down for future reference when ordering new glasses. Good luck!:)

Measurements are important, as you found out.

Your old glasses may have the temple length inscribed on the inside of the frame arm. If not, just measure it. The space between the nose pads should be measured also. Once you get all the parameters figured out, write them down for future reference when ordering new glasses. Good luck!:)

Thank you aja! I am planning to get a pair with nose pad arms AND nose pads, so I'll have more ways to adjust.

Back
Top Bottom