GMO - Very Bearish - FWIW hope not much

Interesting article/perspective, but like all other market analyst, they don't know what's going to happen. I'm less concerned about such market losses over an extended period of time and much more concerned about the buying power of my money deteriorating.

Last edited:
Here's a snippet, summary, and *another* comment about the article....as far as why readers should read it, I will leave that up to the reader - they are capable of deciding:
Sorry that my sole comment was on forecasted 8% losses -- as an investor/retiree losses of such magnitude - was slightly relevant to me.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/granthams-terrifying-new-forecasts-11627061555

"Big losses ahead for markets? Jeremy Grantham’s terrifying new forecasts"

"In the case of some of these mainstream investments, the predicted losses are huge. Those 8% and 8.5% annual losses on U.S. large-caps and small-caps? If they happen, they’ll mean your SPDR S&P 500 ETF SPY, +0.25% and Vanguard S&P 500 Trust VOO, +0.25% and Schwab U.S. Small-Cap ETF SCHA, +0.31% lose about half their value, in inflation-adjusted terms, by 2028."

The opinion piece also lists some instances where GMO was right.

Hello Car-Guy...

I'm hardly an acolyte of GMO - as a novice investor I'm really an acolyte of nothing :).

Of course I am concerned about my future purchasing power to and I guess to me - a huge part of that is whether my investments earn 5%, or lose 8%. Agreed - nobody knows totally what is going to happen and yes, a broken clock is right twice per day.....this Grantham on one hand would've missed so much bull market....but, more than once was right in predicting things that nobody else really was thinking about.

I'm not posting it out of agreement, just for thinking and discussion sake

Grantham is a permabear. If you predict enough gloom and doom, eventually it will look like you were "right" if you ignore that you were wrong 99 percent of the time.

Having said that, long-term bull markets do not start from where we are now. I think it is logical to expect below-market average returns over a decade or so in the future. My guess is that decade or so will begin when the Fed tightens and the market has a resulting "reckoning" to re-price risk.

Not sure when that will happen but it is a concern.

Grantham is a permabear. If you predict enough gloom and doom, eventually it will look like you were "right" if you ignore that you were wrong 99 percent of the time.

Having said that, long-term bull markets do not start from where we are now. I think it is logical to expect below-market average returns over a decade or so in the future. My guess is that decade or so will begin when the Fed tightens and the market has a resulting "reckoning" to re-price risk.

Totally agree with the bolded sentence above. Only the Reddit crowd would think stocks will go to the moon from here.

Not much I can do other than taking a more defensive stance, such as cutting back my stock AA. And being an active investor, I will continue trying to get a few percent each year via option trading as I have done. Will not get me rich, but when returns are lousy every percent helps.

Grantham is always super bearish, except about timber.

Also generally agree with this, especially the bolded part.

I’m on the defensive end of my range with my AA and have been for many years, but I remain invested.

Last edited:
The opinion piece also lists some instances where GMO was right.

emphasis by me. All these doom and gloom article predictors are right sometimes, and wrong many other times. Out of how many multiple times do they predict crash and pullback, they only need to get it right once and they claim to be accurate. Not my definition of accurate prediction. I'll stay invested in the market over the long term, it's done well for me over 35 years so far.

I have been investing for 40 years and I have heard these same types of predictions again and again. These oracles of prediction have a remarkable ability to craft a plausible sounding scenario that is only exceeded by their ability to be spectacularly wrong. I know some people won’t believe me when I say this so let’s try a thought experiment:

It’s February 9, 2020, the SP500 just hit a high of 3,380.

You get a message from the future about the economy but unfortunately, it’s cut off before the end, so you only get to read what’s going to happen but not what the impact on the markets are.

“The world will soon enter a global pandemic which is still continuing. People will be locked down in the houses for months on end, unemployment will soar, schools will be closed. There will be shortages of basic materials, international travel will shut down, sporting events won’t have any crowds. Hundreds of thousands of people will die in the US and millions will die around the world. The government will borrow trillions of dollars to try to save the economy causing inflation to soar. There will be anti-police riots across the US. Many stores will be looted and burned”

Think about what your reaction would have been.

What would you have expected to stock market to be 18 months later? Would it have been “logically” the time to sell? If someone else said, after reading the same text, that the SP500 would go up around 30%, would you have believed them or would you have thought them insane? Whose advice would have made you richer?

I am not saying the market had to go up, as you know it crashed and recovered but it could have stayed down for a long time. What I am saying is that no one knows what is going to happen. The market may crash, boom or go sideways but it won’t be accurately predicted by anyone.

From the article:

GMO said it has three actions it advises to clients traversing in a global growth bubble:
1) exploit the bubble with an equity long/short strategy
2) avoid the bubble by investing in alternatives
3) concentrate assets away from the bubble in emerging market value, Japan small value, cyclicals, and quality.
"We are loath to recommend a traditional 60/40 mix. There will come a day when global equities and government bonds are fairly valued and should deliver a "normal" real rate of return," it said. On that day, GMO will be the first in line to tell you to own that traditional mix."

Last edited:
The projected outcome may be right or wrong, but Grantham uses historical valuations and performance to reach his conclusions. Based on that, I think it makes a lot of sense to consider what he has to say. The sample size of "long term" market performance so many rely upon is incredibly small to me so I'm a proponent if you've won the game then stop playing. Consider Japan from 1989 - over three decades of a bear market that is still down 30% from it's high. Nobody knows how the Fed can ever unwind it's enormous balance sheet and while government spending has been out of control for decades, trillions have replaced billions in proposed spending of money we don't have. Nobody knows how any of this will turn out but I know I don't have a 30 year career ahead of me earning money so I'm keeping that in mind more than ever.

You posted what I was going to say. Eventually he'll be right (so is a broken clock twice a day) and then the financial media will say oh what a great call that was. :facepalm:

Just another permabear.
What is his return vs. the SP500 over the last 20 years?

But he predicted the last two bear markets....and twelve other bear markets.
Staying the course cause nobody knows nothin.

Back
Top Bottom