Any Yoopers here?

braumeister

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Site Team
Living in southern Ohio but disliking the summer heat, I have really come to appreciate Michigan in recent years.

One of the things I like to do around August/September is to drive up to the Lake Superior shore region for some backpacking and camping. I especially like the Porcupine Mountains wilderness area, which I think is one of the coolest parks anywhere.

I've always thought that there are probably plenty of places I should visit up there, known only to the locals, but it's hard to get recommendations. Probably because there really aren't that many Yoopers.

For example, where do you find the best pasties [a Yooper food specialty, for those who might wonder]? I'm a serious fish lover, so where do you find the best whitefish dinner?

Any suggestions from those in the know would be most appreciated!

For example, where do you find the best pasties [a Yooper food specialty, for those who might wonder]?

Never been to Michigan, but I am somewhat of an expert on pasties. Here are my personal favorites. :D

chocolate_pasties.jpg

DW's family is from the UP and we visited a couple of times. I love it in late summer, but wouldn't dream of going up in the winter! 365" of snow!

For pasties, the local relatives recommended Toni's Country Kitchen in Laurium. The pasties were really good, and they have good cinnamon buns too. Nice, friendly, casual place.

We took a boat from Copper Harbor to Isle Royale and spent a few days there. It is a beautiful national park. Hiked a lot, ate a lot of wild blueberries, raspberries and thimble berries in late September. We missed seeing the northern lights because we were so tired after a long hike that we went to sleep early.

In the UP, we hiked along the Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore & took a boat on lake superior from Munising to see the cliffs from the water. Au Train bay has a really beautiful beach - the water, of course, is another story!

I don't recall having a whitefish dinner.

Enjoy.

Back
Top Bottom