Voting

Status
Not open for further replies.
In PA and in line as I type. I have been in line about 20 minutes and it looks like another 15 to the end.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

I remember in the past, when not voting by mail, having to bring a premarked sample ballot with me to spend minimal time in the booth.

This is SOP for me... I could not have voted so fast if I wasn't just transferring my choices from the sample ballot to the real ballot... Especially with so many state and local propositions.... We've got two Stadium Tax bills alone - one by the football team, the other by a local gadfly.

Just came from voting. I live in very small town, I was voter # 239. No line but took about 20 minutes due to talking to neighbors.

I voted when the polls opened this morning. It took about 30 minutes, although I suspect it would have been shorter had I just waited a while. It was obvious that the woman in line next to me was in favor of a different candidate, but we both agreed that it was a grand and glorious day to stand in line and peaceably exercise our franchise.

Voted at about 2PM-only a short wait. Sadly, DH was too sick to go out. The hospice nurse gave him some morphine at 11:30 and I'm afraid he might have voted for Truman anyway. I'd looked into mail ballots but they have to be notarized. I'd had a notary come to the house to get DH's signature on another document and he charged $25. Cash. I thought I'd be able to get DH to the polling place but I was wrong.

Very glad I could vote, anyway. Women fought too long and too hard for me to just skip voting.

...Very glad I could vote, anyway. Women fought too long and too hard for me to just skip voting.
Women have been allowed to vote since 1920. It's been almost a century.

But they did not just pick on women. ;) Just a bit earlier, poor white men were not allowed to vote. Back some more, and even Jews, Quakers, and Catholics were banned from the voting booths.

We do have cool stickers.

Most of the "I Voted" stickers are a generic flag or stars motif. I'm surprised someone approved a "Blue Dog" sticker. It's not a donkey or an elephant, but it's been used as a symbol for partisan politics.

But they did not just pick on women. ;) Just a bit earlier, poor white men were not allowed to vote. Back some more, and even Jews, Quakers, and Catholics were banned from the voting booths.

I can still remember a middle aged blonde lady in Illinois being interviewed on TV just before the 1960 election. She said Kennedy should not be elected, because then the Pope would run the country.

Most of the "I Voted" stickers are a generic flag or stars motif. I'm surprised someone approved a "Blue Dog" sticker. It's not a donkey or an elephant, but it's been used as a symbol for partisan politics.

What partisan politics? It's a very famous Louisiana artist's work (George Rodrigue), in the New Orleans Museum of Art, on JazzFest posters, sculptures all over town, depictions in the lobby of the Sheraton Hotel, on billboards, at my dentist's office, and so on. If it is partisan in any way, I have never heard anyone here ever say one thing about that. I have met people with extreme political leanings on both sides of the spectrum, who love the Blue Dog.

Personally I hate the Blue Dog because it looks like it is stoned to me, with those pinpoint eyeballs. :LOL:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Rodrigue

Last edited:
seng: one of my co-w*rkers waited over 2 hours. (seng, we live in the same area.)

I'm a bit baffled by the early voting thing. I tried it once, and all I remember is waiting.

We went to vote early the day before elections, and the line up was 1.5 hrs, so we walked out.

On election day we walked to the official poll place for us, and there was a line up of 1 person. A 1 minute wait :dance:

And Asians didn't get the right until 1948 or 1952 depending on which site you read. It was tied to citizenship, even if you were born here.

http://www.kqed.org/assets/pdf/education/digitalmedia/us-voting-rights-timeline.pdf

What partisan politics? It's a very famous Louisiana artist's work (George Rodrigue), in the New Orleans Museum of Art, on JazzFest posters, sculptures all over town, depictions in the lobby of the Sheraton Hotel, on billboards, at my dentist's office, and so on. If it is partisan in any way, I have never heard anyone here ever say one thing about that. I have met people with extreme political leanings on both sides of the spectrum, who love the Blue Dog.
"Blue dog <name of a political party>" is a phrase I haven't heard in many years, but at one time it's partisan meaning was clear. No idea if Rodrigue was aware of that.

Dunno if I'll bother. Still not retired and would require getting to office late, or leaving early.

Actually ended up feeling guilty, left during rush hour, and voted. 5 minutes, car door to car door. Only three boxes to check (Pres/USHouse/State_Legis); apparently the primary election is when they shoehorn in all the excess stuff that resulted in motionless lines.

[mod edit]

Last edited by a moderator:
"Blue dog <name of a political party>" is a phrase I haven't heard in many years, but at one time it's partisan meaning was clear. No idea if Rodrigue was aware of that.

Wikipedia has an interesting article on blue dog Democrats (it's not a partisan article: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_Dog_Coalition). Perhaps a myth but one of the theories about the name is that Rodrigue's paintings happened to be on the wall of the office where the group was founded, so full circle.:LOL: Nothing political re Rodrigue either. I think the voting sticker honors the artist, not the group.

I did not know this artist before this thread (but I did know the term "blue dog Democrat") so thanks W2R for introducing me to his work! I like it.

Last edited:

Oh OK, thanks. I have heard "Yellow Dog <name of that political party>" but just hadn't heard of the blue variety. :LOL: I don't think Rodrigue meant anything by it since the Blue Dog was supposed to be depicting his own dog Tiffany.

I can still remember a middle aged blonde lady in Illinois being interviewed on TV just before the 1960 election. She said Kennedy should not be elected, because then the Pope would run the country.

I used to go to the library and read back issues of Time magazine when I was younger and I remember that was a big worry. I wonder how JFK's philandering would be perceived now. I doubt it could be covered up as neatly as it was in the 1960s.

I didn't mean to imply that Blue Dog stickers were partisan politics in action, just that I was surprised that given the political connotation they were approved for distribution. Whether the artist, or even the general electorate, was immediately familiar with the symbol wasn't so much the issue. But I would be completely surprised if someone who supervises elections as a profession would be unaware of the history of the symbol.

But they are cute stickers.

But if you were from Louisiana then you would understand. Mr. Rodrigue is well known for his art.

With the election over - this thread has run it's course.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom