Voting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just went in to vote - no line, walked in, filled out ballot, walked out. Easy-peasy, despite not having early voting here in Michigan.

Does anybody here know what factors correlate with the time one has to wait in line to vote? It seems like most of the long wait times are in densely-populated areas, but maybe that's because most of the news cameras are in cities. Do these areas have the same number of polling places and workers per capita as less dense areas?

Last edited:
Does anybody here know what factors correlate with the time one has to wait in line to vote? It seems like most of the long wait times are in densely-populated areas, but maybe that's because most of the news cameras are in cities.

Too many voters for too few workers/machines? :hide: :angel:

If I had to guess, I'd think you are right--more common in densely populated city areas.

But, I live at edge of Rural/suburban and the lines for the primary were outrageous at 6:45 p.m. (lot of growth in our area, and maybe the poll staffing hasn't kept up?) After 10 minutes, hadn't moved and gave up, even after going home early to vote. Having dinner with DW was far more important.

Figure it will be the same tonight; but this time I probably won't bother with getting out early enough to show up and look at the line. DW at least will be able to vote this afternoon when the lines shouldn't be bad.

I just drove down to our polling place, to check things out. Thought I might vote early, and then go back to drop off F to vote after he wakes up.

Upon arrival at 10:30 AM, I saw no lines at all outside in the (light) rain! That's great. However, both parking lots were filled, and the closest parking spot was 2-3 blocks away. So, they must have the lines winding through the stacks at the little branch library that is our polling place.

I decided to wait and vote later today. It's sort of a gamble but I'd rather vote with F, and I don't see much advantage to voting this morning.
We went back at 11:30, and the parking lot was full. Still, I was able to park only four houses away so that was much better. There were only three people ahead of us in line, so it didn't take long. The rain had paused briefly, so we didn't get wet.

I'm glad I was not one of those voting early (instead of voting on Election Day) here, some of whom encountered lines over an hour long.

I'm glad I was not one of those voting early (instead of voting on Election Day) here, some of whom encountered lines over an hour long.

I guess it depends heavily on where one lives and how many machines and staff they have. The first day of early voting here, the line was out the door to the sidewalk so we didn't stop. Several days later the initial rush was over (as I thought/hoped it would) and I was in & out in 20 minutes or so. Had the lines stayed long we would have waited until today.

We always vote early and there are so many places to choose from that you just walk in and vote. All states should do early voting or mail in voting. WE are in a swing state. Our home phone has rang off the hook and we got so many mailers and I just take them from mail box to the recycling. I am so sick of it. I thought the phone calls would end today but nope still got a few but not as many. We have a huge no soliciting sign that you can see long before you get to the porch. It is grumpy cat giving you the middle paw.[mod edit] .

Last edited by a moderator:
DW and I just voted at the station house for our VFD. No one soliciting, no campaign signs anywhere in sight. One person was registering ahead of us, two were voting (five voting machines). Took all of 5 minutes - actually 10 if you include the short visit we had with three of our neighbors.

I voted this morning. It took a while because the ballot was 4 pages long! No line though.
1478638128690.jpg

I voted this morning. It took a while because the ballot was 4 pages long! No line though.
Good! I've been wondering if the large number of ballot measures was going to impact wait time. At least in your case it didn't. :)

Our polling place is at the middle school just at the end of the street. At the big elections there would be maybe a 5 minute wait. I always voted there on Election Day. One year I tried an early voting location and waited almost an hour, so I'm not doing that again.

This year I voted early by mail. I wanted to have the ballot at home because too many times I didn't feel prepared at the voting booth for some of the local candidates.

Some of our schools are used for voting so the schools are closed today. That means I had the day off so I used it to have an ophthalmologist appointment. So I'm sitting here with blurry vision, waiting for my pupils to get back to normal.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

But I think almost everyplace, with or without early voting, has absentee voting, which is quite accessible.

It is hard to absentee vote in Pennsylvania... You pretty much have to prove you'll be out of town (plane ticket for example) or in the hospital... IIRC there was a window that you had to submit the documentation.. which ended before election day... I almost missed an election when work wanted to send me out of town the week of an election, at the last minute. Fortunately, the trip got postponed and I was able to vote at my home precinct..

Our ballot is very short this time. I remember in the past, when not voting by mail, having to bring a premarked sample ballot with me to spend minimal time in the booth.

One reason early voting (not mail in) can take a while is that in most states/counties, they have fewer polling places. It costs money to run a polling place. Fewer polling places means longer lines, even if it is spread out over weeks.

Busy but well organized precinct. Waited about 1 minute and voted quickly.

I almost had a problem when I was checking in. They check both your photo ID and your signature. I have quite a scrawl and it's hard to sign well with the fat stylus they use on the iPad. One of the poll workers compared my signature with the one on file for quite awhile (they come up side by side on the iPad) but relented and let me vote.

I first voted nearly 50 years ago (1968). I will not vote in the current election as none of the candidates that I have to consider are worthy of my vote. I am considering complete retirement from voting.

I'll have to go along with whoever you folks vote in. I don't expect any of it will directly affect me anyway.

I'm in CA and registered as an Absentee voter, but also a procrastinator so I always turn it on voting day. This year, CA put a sticker in the packet.

We may have some close local contests so my vote can make a difference for those at least.

cd :O)

I voted by mail last week. Good thing too...found out our polling place is a mortuary up the street!:nonono:

I guess it depends heavily on where one lives and how many machines and staff they have. The first day of early voting here, the line was out the door to the sidewalk so we didn't stop. Several days later the initial rush was over (as I thought/hoped it would) and I was in & out in 20 minutes or so. Had the lines stayed long we would have waited until today.
The line issue is why the fill in the dots and scan method is best. Because with that you can put up essentially an unlimited number of voting places, since all you need is a table, chairs a pen and some cardboard. Plus it does give a record that if need be could be hand counted. when done you just put the ballot into the scanning machine.

Voted after lunch and a trip to the hardware store.

Easy, no line, no waiting, brought my cheat sheet with me and just filled in the ovals. Took 10 minutes.

Will be bringing martinis to my girlfriend's house where we will enjoy cocktails and appetizers while we watch the carnage on TV - :)

I first voted nearly 50 years ago (1968). I will not vote in the current election as none of the candidates that I have to consider are worthy of my vote. I am considering complete retirement from voting.

I'll have to go along with whoever you folks vote in. I don't expect any of it will directly affect me anyway.
You can write in a candidate, even if it may appear pointless.

And then, there are other positions, issues, and propositions to consider.

Yup. The Federal stuff (pres, senate and rep) took up less than a half page of the 4 page ballot. Then there was the state stuff, the local stuff and a dozen props.

The line issue is why the fill in the dots and scan method is best. Because with that you can put up essentially an unlimited number of voting places, since all you need is a table, chairs a pen and some cardboard. Plus it does give a record that if need be could be hand counted. when done you just put the ballot into the scanning machine.
Yes, but... The judges who hand out the ballots and make sure you are alive are still a constraint. That's where our line was. They set up a bunch of tables for people to fill in. Not a problem (although some wanted to wait for booths for privacy). But handing out the ballots takes time.

I will be glad when it's over

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 156
  • iscs002.jpg
    iscs002.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 40
Waited 1 hour and 15 minutes at 10:30 this morning. DGF went at 5:30 PM, same polling station, and was in and out in 6 minutes. Go figure.

Sent from my LGL34C using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom