Chrome and The Confines of Life

target2019

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
We went on a Jersey Shore expedition one week ago. It has been a long time since we last visited our youngest, and we wanted to see recent improvements to their bayside home. Sure, she's stopped here weekly, sometimes to stay a night, or just a quick drive-by to cycle belongings between families. For example, she brought his ancient all-in-one iMac and one of the office desktop systems. The iMac has a failing drive, while the Dell micro (OptiPlex 3050) is "slow." No hurry on these repairs, just get that Dell fixed before tax season!

But I digress...

At the Jersey Shore I looked at a Reddit sub about ChromeOS, and saw that the Lenovo Duet Chromebook was getting a lot of attention. And best of all the 4GB/128GB model was on sale at BestBuy for $229. Yes, I'm that kind of buyer when the price tag is lower-ish. Best of all there was a store on the way back to our home.

The drive back is always special, as we usually scoop up her little dog for a few days of care. If you need a dog, look for a Cavapoo. This is the perfect dog IMO, with the best characteristics of the King Charles Cavalier and mini Poodle. She fits in whatever space is available in bed or in a recliner--all-natural therapy for whatever ails you.

But I digress again...

Below you can see my Duet Chromebook on the custom foam core holder I put together. Since the system is a tablet with detachable keyboard, it does not sit well on lap or stuffed arm of the recliner. It was a lot of fun inventing and constructing a quick fix made from foam-core board and adhesive. The holder needs improvement, but for now I'll use it in the family room as replacement for Nexus 10 tablet (weak battery and other limitations).

My impression of ChromeOS on a 10-inch tablet and small keyboard is that you find ways to live with its confines. With several systems also available in the house, I have no problem with its limitations.

Happy trails to all!

Attachments

• Chromebook bicubic.jpg
    Chromebook bicubic.jpg
    441.6 KB · Views: 25
  • Chromebook specs.JPG
    Chromebook specs.JPG
    74.1 KB · Views: 26
Back
Top Bottom